Sutherland, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Sutherland Camping Reviews
Campground with small pond

When you pull off at Paxton Nebraska, there is a campground with 12 full hook ups next to the gas station(the Lodge). There is a car wash and hotel there too. The Rv sites are pull thru so easy to park. Each site is spacious with a BBQ grill but no fire rings or picnic tables. You register at the hotel and sites are $22/ night and include cable. If you are tired and need a place to pull over this area serves its purpose.

Mom w/toddler

Awesome stop! Loved the trees, lake, and hospitality. Big site didn’t have to unhook which is nice for mom traveling with toddler. Safe environment and great fellow campers. Be prepared with food and don’t forget fishing/swimming gear!

Neat place to sleepover

Sleepy Sunflower RV Park is a neat place to stop over. Although it is right next to the interstate which is noisy, it has a cute western feel. It has a little area they call the town square wtt a wagon and carriage. It has tables with umbrellas, an area to BBQ, fire pit and outdoor kitchen. There is a office/market, free WiFi, playground, and a small pet run. The 28 RV sites are on rock, with full hook-ups, picnic table and some have fire pits. The 8 tent areas have grass with sand area for the tent to sit on, there are also 2 Tee-pees to rent. The bathrooms are extremely clean, as is the campground in whole. We did not have a reservation and showed up after hours hoping we could get in. It was nice that there was a place to check in and pay after hours. The office and campground was decorated nicely and owners (DuPeire family)live on site. There is a book and puzzle exchange, recycle bins and access codes for security.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak At Jeffrey Canyon State Park

Campground Review:

Traveling through Nebraska there are several areas you might be interested in exploring, amongst those Jeffrey Canyon State Wildlife Area, a primitive site with a rich history and a unique location.

As you travel down the road to Jeffrey Canyon the corn fields abound and thrive, the terrain begins to climb then you sharply turn to access the area.    The area is clearly marked, but the areas which you are allowed to camp are not.   As a part of the hydroelectric power area there are many unique features including a large lake with plenty of land around it.   The problem lays in that there are no maps delegating areas which are able to be camped on.    One area beyond the park is privately owned and marked for no entry, but the historic looking outbuildings, while interesting are not marked by any specific markers.

It was not until I left the property that I knew what exactly I had been looking at while there.  The historic buildings are gems to say the least but without marking or description they are mere photographable relics.    It was a bit sad to visit and have little to no knowledge of what was abounding.

The reservoir itself is a fishermen's haven with many coming to the area to fish and enjoy sport.  While visiting I noticed many navigating the lake on various sized boats.

As for camping this is where there was more than a little confusion.    The steep uneven terrain just beyond the road/dam was open for primitive camping, however it would be a bit awkward to access for many vehicles.    With road wash and loose gravel it was not  ideal and I could honestly say I was a little worried about driving down toward the camping area which was not much more than a slurry pit area.

It was very sad to see that such an area with great promise was not better equipped for those coming to the area to appreciate it.   There were no services, which was somewhat expected but the potential of the site and how well manicured the outbuildings were and the vast difference in the actual camping area allocated was very disconnected.

When approaching town I asked someone and they said many use the woods, however this is hike in only and very limited parking along the major roadway are used for this.   I personally would not recommend this.

The grounds were beautiful and deserving of a much higher rating but the camping itself was limited and deemed the lower rating.   Perhaps visit for fishing or just a good stop in Nebraska but steer toward one of the other locations within 30 miles of this location for actual camping.

Product Review:

I was very excited when I was asked to review some of the items from Banner & Oak on this trip and found that the variety and styles of hats offered was so vast.    I selected the "Freedom To Explore" hat which was very fitting for the adventures I take on while traveling.   I consider myself to be a nomad at heart and go wherever the wind blows me so the theme of this hat was a mirror of myself.

The hat is a snapback with a unique feel to the material used.   The black and grey fabric is a great suit for most looks as it is muted and can appeal to many.   The customizable size is perfect for someone like myself because my head is a bit smaller so this allows me to really fit the hat and keep it secure even in a windy day like the one I visited this location.

The quality of the Banner & Oak brand is very high and I love that the hat is not only versatile but durable.

I personally prefer hats during summer for sun protection wince I have such short hair and this hat did not disappoint at all in this regard!   I would easily give this hat by Banner & Oak a 5 star rating.   It was just ashamed that the hat completely outshined the location!

Great stopover on a journey

I wouldn't use this campground as a destination, but it is a great stopover location on a roadtrip. We stopped here on the way to South Dakota.

There is a zoo-ish feel with various animals in cages that you can feed around the lake. A large playground for the kids as well as a community pool and tennis courts. It looks like someone put a campground in a city park honestly.

But the sites are large enough for a tent or RV and it is right on the Platte so it would be perfect for boaters on a stopover too. Only $5 per site makes a great cheap stop.

Great location

Found a very secluded place right in the lake. Close to town if you need anything. The lake is huge and makes for a great place to paddle board. We had such a good time and experienced great help from the park rangers.

Great little retreat

Very nice park just off I-80. There's a nice little lake that you can swim and fish (catch and release only), or rent a kayak or little boat. Full hookups available, with many pull through spots as well. Each spot has a fire pit and picnic table. In the middle of the grounds is a children's playground and 2 small fenced dog runs. Nice bathroom and shower facilities, and a nice store for many of your needs. And if you need more, there's 2 truck stops (travel plazas) across the interstate. Maybe the only drawback would be interstate noise. I highly recommend.

Awesome amenities

We were nestled between the lake, the playground and the dog off-leash area. Our girls were able to go back and forth independently, as we could see them from our campsite. We’ll definitely be back!

Lakeside campground off I-80

Nestled off I-80 in Nebraska off the 179 exit to North Platte you will find a decent campground. This campground has 89 Rv sites along with multiple tent sites which have little yellow fish signs to mark them. The Rv sites are gravel, level, have picnic benches and a fire ring. There is a small fishing/swimming lake that is catch and release only. Some fish you might catch are Crappie, Bass, Catfish, Walleye and others. They have a neat incentive where if you catch a tagged fish you win a boat rental. The boat rentals available are kayaks,paddle oats, and rowboats for rent at reasonable prices at the office. There is also a small 2 unenclosed dog walk, a playground, and a walking trail. Also available are horse shoes and volleyball. The restrooms are fairly clean. The showers in the women’s are being redone and are looking nice. There is a laundry facility on site. The office/store has camping essentials and firewood for purchase. The owners took possession and reopened in May of 2016. This campground is in short walking distance from the platte River-across the street. All and all it is a convenient and decent place to stop along I-80 as you are traveling.

Lovely park on the river but no hookups

Really pretty park on the North Platte River, right out side of town.  Spacious sites, large enough for our 40' motorhome with some trees for shade.  No hook-ups but there is a rest room which we didn't use.  May get busy on the weekends but we were there on a Monday and just a few sites were being used.  Quite the deal for $5/night.

Quaint

Great place to bring kids! We have driven through North Platte several times and had always wanted to camp here. We finally got the chance. There are several camping sites for $5 no hookups there is a sewage dump station. There are several animals in cages around including peacocks, lamas, donkeys, Buffalo, dear and elk. It’s fun to walk around and look at the animals. There are also several day use areas, and a couple of play grounds. Also in the Cody park area is a small amusement park perfect for kids 2ish-8ish. Our 4 kids in that age range all loved it. The rides were affordable and fun for the youngins.

Beautiful Lake

Great Lake! The camping is okay. There’s not a lot of trees, so you’re just kinda out in the open. The showers/bathrooms were really clean.

Right off Interstate 80

Quiet RV spot with a diner right near for good breakfast.  Seems like many tenants were long term.  Nice people that run the campground.  Stayed only one night as we were passing through.

Small lake off Interstate

We have stayed at this campground twice when we are traveling through. They do have boat rentals, kayaks, playground, small dog park, and a small store with few items. Overall nice- gravel pull through sites - maintained overall pretty good. Smaller sites. I might give it 3.5 stars but having the lake with rentals and a small store on site was nice— so 4 stars. Would recommend.

We revisit every time we drive through

Lake Maloney is on a big lake in North Platte, NE. We have stayed two or three times. Our first time staying put us in a bit of a pickle. We stayed the night at the campground and packed up to head out on our last leg of our trip only to find our truck was broken. We found a great shop only about 6 miles from the park and they let us use a car of theirs for the three days it took them to fix our truck.

The campground was very inexpensive, even for out of staters. It was $5 for the day and $8 for the overnight. This worked well for us. We were traveling cross country and being the last leg, we were nearing broke. The campground wasn't overly tidy. We also didn't see a camp host, at least one never checked on us to ensure we had paid and did what we were supposed to.

When you come in you can take the loop to the right, which is what we did to tent sites. It's all pretty much open and you pitch your tent where you please. If you want a picnic table and firepit, you have to be a bit more selective. If you were to go straight at entry, it loops around to the left where mostly RVers camp. Straight ahead is also the lake, it's a big lake and people get on it early when it's hot out. Everything to the left is a bit more modernized, flush toilets, pay showers, more developed. To the right there are old playground equipment (really old) and pit toilets, big grassy field and open space. There are a few shade trees to the right, more to the left.

Not all firepits have a cooking grate so you may want an alternative if this is how you cook. We use a camp tripod for cooking most frequently and did on this trip. Adding three days on to the end of our trip meant our food needed to be eaten as it was reaching the end of it's life. So we cooked it all up the last night we were there.

Our second trip over we utilized freeze dried food for travel to aid in keeping our food from spoiling. It worked well for us and we just made sure to find a picnic table to camp near. The weather did get really nasty this trip and with the lake, open fields and few trees, the lightening was pretty scary and we retreated to our truck to ride it out in the middle of the night. The sunsets are really nice over the lake.

This is a good spot to stop and we enjoyed our stay even though the length was not planned. It is for sure our go to when traveling east from Denver.

Beautiful Vistas, Sandy Beaches, Starlit Nights, Absolutely Marvelous

We loved this camping area and have been dreaming of returning.

The view was spectacular from the tent site, but there are plenty of full hookup sites available.

Though most lakes in Nebraska are man-made and muddy, this manmade lake is in the sandhills so it is all beach and clear water. The showers are free and there are plenty of hydrants for non-hookup sites.

There is good trout fishing here and excellent bird watching. We saw the Long-billed Curlew, Burrowing Owl, and several other birds checked off our bucket list.

The towns of both Ogallala and Lewellen both had plenty to see.

The camp host was exceptional and helpful beyond what is typically expected.

Remote with a few camping spots

This campground was hard to find, even with GPS. Finally a local came by to show us where it was. When we drove in there was a boat ramp, 1 tent site with a picnic table and fire ring, and 1 spot for an RV to park with no hookups. I was told there were other spots for tents on the other side of the lake that you could get to by hiking. The area needed to be mowed but wow the views from the tent site were gourgous. There were other trails, hunting, and fishing. Up the road were beautiful views of the dam and area. If we would have had our generator, we would have stayed the night.

Best place in Nebraska

GREAT campground!! The people who own and run this place are just superb people! Genuinely nice and willing to help! The facilities are excellent and the lake is awesome! The store is stocked with about anything you could need and the prices are great! Highly recommended!!

Hidden gem

I stopped at this campsite on a cross country road trip from NY to NV, as I didn’t know anyone who resided in the great state of Nebraska. Talk about a total hidden gem!! This campground is one of the most beautiful, quiet and serene campgrounds I have ever been to. There are lots of sites right along the water and perfect for fishing!! Absolutely some gorgeous views here.

Nice campground on the Sutherland reservoir

Lots of RV sites but we were able to pitch our tent by the beach and there was plenty of space. Got super windy by the reservoir. The woman at the golf course clubhouse, which is also the front desk of the campground, let us cook dinner at the tables behind the clubhouse and use the outdoor bathrooms there.

Very pretty

Really nice little lake for kayaking and fishing. There was some people swiming in the lake but it was too cold to go in there. Watch out for biting flies.

Very Nice and Quiet

I just happened upon this park as I was really tired and needed a place to stop and it's just beautiful. It's a donation Park like many in Nebraska. Almost every little small town seems to have one.This park has lots of nice Shady trees and water and a bathhouse no showers.

Quiet camping next to a fishing lake.

Clean restrooms with showers. Well wooded and below the dam so there is not much wind.

Nice campground..close to the beach

We camped here in Mid-July 2018. We were originally going to camp on the beach, closer to the dam and I'm happy we didn't. These were nice sized sites and we had a great spot a few steps from the beginning of the beach. Camp host was very personable. Bathroom could be a little cleaner but not the worst one I've ever seen.

A very nice and peaceful campground. Just need to update bathrooms

very relaxing, near the water, friendly people. Needs more bathrooms is all it needs

Ranger Review: Matador Base Layer Camera Bag at Oregon Trail GC&C

Campground Review

Also known as Sutherland Reservoir North Shore Recreation Area, I found this place in Nebraska not long after a terrible thunderstorm came rolling in along I-80. The golf gods we're with me on this one, because I didn't even know until I got there that there was even a golf course. The storm was bad, but not bad enough from keeping me playing 9 holes the next day!

This place is surprisingly popular given how basic the amenities are. As a golfer, sure, it's a plus there's a course but this place is also on a huge reservoir lake and has a launch point nearby. Lots of people staying here had some sort of boat or jetski for fishing or recreation. As a tent camper my toilet options were two port-o poties on one end of the grounds (it's not a big campground) or a toilet with a sink attached to the golf course clubhouse. No showers. The staff at the place were very nice and even though they were full, they gave me a spot just on the grass somewhere so I could spend the night. It was cheap - only $10 all-in. You can also buy snacks and refreshments from the clubhouse.

The camp spots were tightly packed in and not a lot of space to roam around that wouldn't be on someone's campsite. Best enjoyed it seemed by big groups.

Ranger Review

As a Dyrt Ranger I am given products to test from time to time. I photograph a lot on my adventures with a DLSR and noticed the Matador Base Layer, and a lightweight, protective case for my camera would be GREAT. I was a big fan of the built-in rain fly as well. Matador makes a few products friendly for wet weather and conditions, and this is no exception.

• Video Test of the Matador base layer in a rainstorm below

The bag is easy to take on and off your camera, and its 'base layer' fabric is very reminiscent of a base layer jacket. It's well stitched so the insulated padding doesn't clump up in one area and keeps it well placed for protection.

Speaking of protection - yes it is a great bag for weather protection (rain,dust). No, it is not the best for high impact situations. It is a light case, and by default of that, it's protection is going to be limited. I wouldn't use this to wrap my DSLR + lens in if I was going to then put the camera in a larger bag and carrying/transport that around, but I would use it in situations where my camera would be out a lot and the impact risk is low.

Proc/Cons

When you need to use the camera, simply unclip the buckle and pull from the bottom. Very easy, very fast. One issue then is now you have a bag in your hand and you want to use your hands to take a photo. It's a little awkward trying to find a pocket big enough to stuff it. if you clip it back to the camera strap, it is awkward to then try and use your camera. You can clip it to a bag, sure, but what if you're not carrying a bag? I don't always and just hike with my camera and a water bottle.

I have enjoyed using this on day hikes in Colorado in Rocky Mountain National Park on easy trails, but would be worried about this as it swung from my neck/shoulder and then slipped on some trail and as I regain my balance (hopefully), it's swinging from my neck and knocks into some side wall or rock/tree. When you hold it in your hands you can tell it is super well made immediately, but I do wish the material was a bit thicker.

Version 2.0?

In a future iteration, I would love to see a camera sling bag made out of the same materials and buckle + rain fly system. Just a little thicker for more padded protection for higher impacts. Also, an integrated shoulder sling strap. On that strap there could even be a hidden pocket or inlet to clip camera lens covers to or something multi-purpose, like a stash cloth to wipe off lenses. Your NanoDry fabrics are pretty cool, perhaps some integration there would lead people to want to test out other products if they liked the base layer, like the towels or teardrop bags. That all-in one bag would still be lightweight and still have water/dust protection, but could then stay slung over my shoulder, leaving me hands- free for taking shots.

Fishing area

Lake Ogallala Trail is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ogallala, primarily used for hiking. The lake itself is pretty small (large pond) especially compared to its neighbor Lake McConoughey

The camping area was a little on the primitive side. Morning catfishing right off the banks is excellent!

Great area with wonderful siteseeing

Lake Ogallala and it’s campground was beautiful! Plenty of fishing, great area for walking, and you can hop right over to lake McConaughy for even more water action, restaurants and beautiful seeneri! The camp sites of most of the campground we small and very close together though.

Less crowded than lake McConaughy

there are two campgrounds, one on the east and one on the west sides of the lake. The east side has electrical and water hookups the west doesn’t. We stayed on the west side toward the south end in a unnumbered site. There are Porta Potty’s fairly close to all sites but water is a little more sparse. The west side is next to Kingsley Dam and is less populated but there is road noise during the day. The west side is non reservable. This lake is quieter than McConaughy but is only a couple minutes drive away. McConaughy is loaded with activities.

Open spots

Find a spot set up Camp that’s it. No real sights there. You are on the east side/backside of the damn. Sun sets a little earlier. Lol. Fishing. Bird watching. And you are rights at the foot of Mebraskas largest lake. Where boating fishing and beach’s are abundant.