About Mormon Island State Rec Area
Mormon Island State Rec Area is located in Nebraska
9 Reviews of Mormon Island State Rec Area
Mormon Island

Nice campground with access to fish 3 lakes! Very nice camp host!

Aug 5th-11th

While camping at Morman Island, we went through one of the worst storms! 85 to 90 mile an hour winds with hail! It was bad enough to go through the storm but it really was bad that not one person from the campground came around to check on us the next morning! They really just concentrated on the clean up. The priorities were messed up. At the time of the storm there were only 25 campers in the whole place. How long would it have taken to check on the well being of those 25 campers! There was no prior warning of the storm from anybody at the campground. Other campgrounds that we’ve stayed at, we always have had a heads up. The pictures are from the morning after. Not just a little blow! Overall the visit wasn’t the best with the storm and all. There are several rules that are clearly posted throughout the grounds and at the pond. Dogs on a 6 ft leash. No floaties in the swimming area. No dogs on the beach. No parking on the grass. All of these were being violated and not one person from the staff could be seen addressing any issues. People were doing whatever they wanted to. I would have loved to let my dog go swimming but it was against the rules. The section we were in was a new section, but we could not even let our dog out in our camp site because of an abundance of stickers and burrs! She at one point just laid down because of her paws filled with burrs and could not walk any more. This was in our site. I’m not sure if anyone else had the same problem. The facilities were very clean. (They need a shower house in the new section). Making the reservation was very easy. The people we did talk to were very nice.

To many signs!

The facilities are very clean. The grounds are well kept.
The only down side I didn’t like was the amount of signs throughout the grounds! There are signs every where telling you what you can’t do. They could do with a few less signs. A overall nice place to set up. Plenty of space between sites so you are not on top of each other.

Looks great!

This campground looks great. The lake looks inviting and has a swim area as well as fishing. Well maintained and the camp host was friendly and helpful.

Close to I80

Good fishing. Two ponds. Right off I80.

Dry Camping

Had a great time. Kayak and bank fishing, hiking and just relaxing in general. We stay in the area with no power, etc., but we were prepared. There are modern showers and restrooms on this part of the camp. Showers need to be fed quarters. 7 minutes for $1.50 if memory serves me right. The traffic noise off I-80 was the only drawback, but the trees blocked the view. Caught some Bass and Bluegill, but were not bragging size.

Nice fishing area and camping along I-80

Mormon Island is a nice, clean State campground along Interstate 80 at the Grand Island exit. There is a store right before the entrance in case you forgot anything or need to purchase firewood. There are 3 different areas for campers, a tent area, a Rv area, and an area for generator use. The Rv area has Electric and the sites are evenly spaced on black top and are level. Each site has a fire ring and picnic table. There is also plenty of day use areas. The restrooms are clean and have water fountains. There is a separate shower house and laundry that is also well kept. The grounds are maintained and are attractive.

There is a playground for children, a fishing pier, biking, and nice trails to explore. This is a nice area with lots to explore including the Platte River. Just beware of deer ticks. Spray,Spray,Spray..my husband left with 32 visitors that needed to be pulled out.

Grandparents Weekend

Nice and Busy

Fun

Family and pet friendly campground