Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 45 ft.
Mormon Island State Recreation Area is located in Nebraska
13 Reviews of Mormon Island State Recreation Area
Mormon island review

I’ll start off by saying it’s pretty decent fishing. Some sides of the lake have a lot of moss but I caught a few decent sized in just a few hours. Besides that very crowded and would not consider camping at this location.

Surprisingly nice

This park is right off I-80 off one of the Grand Island exits. This park was actually a surprise to me. It was pretty clean, especially for as packed as it was. The spacing between camp site were pretty good. The lakes for swimming, fishing,, and nonpowered boats were clean. The trees, and grass areas were pretty as well, and had modern restrooms and showers. There are playgrounds, volleyball court, disc golf and nature trails available. There are camping for rvs, tent, and generator camping. And honestly if it weren't for the interstate noise (which was not bad) I would of forgot I was next to one.

Rv and tent camping

State park sticker required. Fishing and swimming.

Be prepared to wake early

After a long drive, I was looking for somewhere easy to get into and out of, near the interstate.  I stopped for gas and saw the sign for the sites and decided to give it a look.

When I got there around 5pm, I was able to have my choice of sites.  By 8pm, every site was occupied in the tent area.  This seems to be a good stopping point for transient campers as they pass, like myself.  This does cause an issue with the noise from I-80 just outside of the grounds, but the trees and a dirt berm help to keep that down to just a low drone.

Great campground location, and inexpensive.  The site, and amenities, are very nice.  The campsite itself is very well maintained and level.  The tent area restroom was very clean.  The showers are located over in the Cottonwood Campground, and are adequate.  This was my first encounter with the pay showers though, and I had to scrounge around for quarters to feed into it.

The only small problem is that at approximately 5am, I started hearing the air/fan boats from a local launch on the Platte River.  I was wide awake and had actually already packed my Jeep by 630am.  I am not sure if this is a normal occurrence, or just something that happened that one day.  Other than that, I would definitely say to give this place a try.

Edit:  The Bosselman Travel Center is a great place to pick up a little food as well as fuel up for your trip.

Mormon Island

Nice campground with access to fish 3 lakes! Very nice camp host!

Aug 5th-11th

While camping at Morman Island, we went through one of the worst storms! 85 to 90 mile an hour winds with hail! It was bad enough to go through the storm but it really was bad that not one person from the campground came around to check on us the next morning! They really just concentrated on the clean up. The priorities were messed up. At the time of the storm there were only 25 campers in the whole place. How long would it have taken to check on the well being of those 25 campers! There was no prior warning of the storm from anybody at the campground. Other campgrounds that we’ve stayed at, we always have had a heads up. The pictures are from the morning after. Not just a little blow! Overall the visit wasn’t the best with the storm and all. There are several rules that are clearly posted throughout the grounds and at the pond. Dogs on a 6 ft leash. No floaties in the swimming area. No dogs on the beach. No parking on the grass. All of these were being violated and not one person from the staff could be seen addressing any issues. People were doing whatever they wanted to. I would have loved to let my dog go swimming but it was against the rules. The section we were in was a new section, but we could not even let our dog out in our camp site because of an abundance of stickers and burrs! She at one point just laid down because of her paws filled with burrs and could not walk any more. This was in our site. I’m not sure if anyone else had the same problem. The facilities were very clean. (They need a shower house in the new section). Making the reservation was very easy. The people we did talk to were very nice.

To many signs!

The facilities are very clean. The grounds are well kept.
The only down side I didn’t like was the amount of signs throughout the grounds! There are signs every where telling you what you can’t do. They could do with a few less signs. A overall nice place to set up. Plenty of space between sites so you are not on top of each other.

Looks great!

This campground looks great. The lake looks inviting and has a swim area as well as fishing. Well maintained and the camp host was friendly and helpful.

Close to I80

Good fishing. Two ponds. Right off I80.

Dry Camping

Had a great time. Kayak and bank fishing, hiking and just relaxing in general. We stay in the area with no power, etc., but we were prepared. There are modern showers and restrooms on this part of the camp. Showers need to be fed quarters. 7 minutes for $1.50 if memory serves me right. The traffic noise off I-80 was the only drawback, but the trees blocked the view. Caught some Bass and Bluegill, but were not bragging size.