The best WALK IN camping near
Riverton , NEBRASKA

Most Recent Riverton Camping Reviews
Nice state park just off the highway

Just a quick one night while passing through.  Easy access, paved and good cell coverage.  We only had power but we didn't need more than that.  Any size rig can find a spot there.  Would stay again.

Great Location to Relax!

Always a great place for a weekend get away!  Kids love to explore on their bikes.  Nice trail to the Platte River.  Just a nice escape location!

Nice view

Stayed one night on my way through. Had a nice view of lake from my primitive campsite. Bring charcoal or wood if you want to use fire ring. Didn’t see any on-site. There are full hookup sites available and a boat launch. Largest Ball of Twine nearby 😀

pretty views, nice owners

snagged a lake front spot on a Wednesday night, drove right in. when we went to check out the next morning the lady said we didn’t have to worry about paying. bathrooms are clean + have pretty hot water. I would camp here again

Quiet and serene

My husband and I were able to get a primitive site right next to one of the lakes. Our site was secluded from the other campers but it was a bit of a walk to the vault toilets. We even saw some deer in the field next to the campground. Great for an overnight stop!

Quick stopover

This was a quick stopover due to bad weather coming in. A daily vehicle park permit is required and when this is added in to the cost, it’s a bit pricey for what it is, but the Recreation Area has a lot going for it. Check the photo of their brochure for camping pricing. They go by Electric Plus, electric and basic.

There are 7 sandpit lakes in the area that offer fishing. Lakes 5, 6 and 7 offer handicap accessible piers. Lake 7 has the swimming beach. I was camped backed up to Lake 4 at site 57. This site wouldn’t accommodate anything longer than 26’. It was also right next to site 58, so it would be great for 2 families looking to camp together, but otherwise, not so good. The site wasn’t level due to erosion, which was pretty significant.

The area has beautiful, mature cottonwood trees. One of these was right at site 57 so there was lots of shade. Also a picnic table and fire ring. Electric h/u, but no water. Need to fill up prior to camping. I didn’t use the dump station or the bathrooms so can’t comment.

There’s a bike trail that goes to the Fort at the historical park. I didn’t have time to check this out, but would like to next time I pass through.

One place to fill water tanks, boat dock, fish and cleaning station.

Desolate in winter

After driving the whole park, we settled on Kanza campground at a little loop near the lakefront. There are several campgrounds available for you to choose from, just make sure to watch the signs to make sure they have your type of camping available (ie rv, tent, etc.). There are fire pits. The rv hookup ones are really nice. There are a few nice ones scattered throughout the primitive, and some are just rock piles. Love the fact they have trash cans! A little sad but Understandably they have their bathrooms locked up (We visited on Jan 4th). They have a nice kids playground In this section, and a small beachfront as well. After driving around, we saw a few people fishing, one guy on a boat, and several cars driving through for what seemed like pleasure cruising. As the sun set, we seemed to be the only campers in the whole place! Our only complaints about the location is the scattered tree cover (windblock for fire-we solved by using our vehicle) and the bathroom situation. We would return in the future and recommend this for an easy spot for winter camping if you come prepared. Summer wise, it may be crowded based on the proximity of the camping spot layouts, but that just gives us a reason to come back. Happy Camping!

Great Winter Location

We have visited Lovewell many times during the summer, but this was our first winter trip. We arrived after hours, so we had to pay by the envelope drop post. $10 for primitive camping and a $3 fee. If you have time, I recommend driving all over the campgrounds to pick your location prior to paying. Payment envelopes stick to your window with the campground info exc listed. The bathrooms were open, however the was no running water. Showers and the main store were both closed, not surprisingly with it being winter. The camp fire ring was THE BEST I have EVER seen! It was spacious to accommodate a substantial fire, and had an ADJUSTABLE grill grate! It was perfect for regulating temperatures from cooking to keeping warm. If you are looking for a quiet getaway, this is your place. We plan to return.

Love Hunter Cove