O'Neill, NEBRASKA

Most Recent O'Neill Camping Reviews
Lake Francis Case and North Point Recreation Area

We found this place to be quiet and peaceful. It has been dealing this year with high water and water damage to campsites and trails but the facilities are nice. The staff was helpful and courteous and we enjoyed our stay (4 days and 3 nights). We pleasure boated but fishing is a big deal here and the area is not commercialized. The water was mostly calm and warm. The boat docks were in good shape and easy to access. There are bike/walking trails but not very long. Pickstown SD is right next door and offers limited commercial establishments because it is 225 population. Nice beaches here but some were impacted by high water. The Fort Randall Hotel and Casino is close by for some food and entertainment.

Power and water next to the swimming pool- free for 3 days!

This park is right of Highway 30 and if you are passing through and want power and water for a few days this should be your stop. unlike other city parks, this one has a burn pit.

I would assume that campers would have use of the shower facility at the pool, but if not, you could just spend a few bucks and swim all day and shower at the end.

Grocery store downtown had great steak prices and good price on ice.

Beautiful But Without Water in the Off Season

Electric sites by the highway near the park entrance, but don't overlook the 4 RV sites by the fishing pond. Cabins, primitive camping, hiking, and lovely scenery.

Campsite #43 is the only site with what I would call a view, but the view from there is excellent. The hiking was great. The area is pretty cool with Native American exhibits, the casino, and Lewis and Clark Lake nearby.

Though we loved the scenery and wanted to stay, the park had shut off all the water. We expected the $15 off-season price since there were no longer horse rides, pool or other activities but there were no showers or restrooms in the RV site. No water to wash dishes in!

The regular season is $20 a night but they are discussing raising that. Don't bother with the off-season.

Also, see my reviews of Crofton and Verdigre. Camping there is not as nice but they are close and more affordable.

Beautiful area to explore

This campground features cabins and tent camping. Designed for families, there is a playground and lots of open space for the kids to run around. Pets are welcome. There is a small pond stocked for fishing right in the middle of the tent camping area. Take a short hike to see where the Niobrara river dumps into the Missouri and take in some of the best views in Nebraska. In the winter months, hunters often use the cabins as home base and hunt in the surrounding woods.

Nowhere with a river

Not to be mistaken as Fort Niobrara, Niobrara State Park , NE is near Niobrara and Verdel, NE. The popular Niobrara River runs along the far side of the park and one of the attractions is the old train bridge which is now part of the converted trail that you can explore.

When we arrived the 80 degree temperatures from Kentucky did not arrive with us. The weather was windy, sprinkling and dropping with the sun. The night time low was about 43 degrees. I learned on another trip to pack all temperature range clothing especially this time of year, so I had my sniffle gear. We were one of three occupied sites in the campground. The other two sites had RV’s , I decided on truck camping and was glad I did.

The actual campground is spacious and had some trees. The showerhouse was well maintained and something new to me had pay showers. I hadn’t packed any quarters but have now added another helpful tidbit to my list of must haves while camping. (Roll of quarters, check) I attempted to leave my windows open after throwing a tarp over the truck but even though the temperature was low the mosquitoes were FIERCE! I don’t even want to know how bad they are in warm weather. So with the truck closed up we snuggled in for the night. I was a little surprised when I was woken by my dogs barking at coyotes that could be heard very nearby. Considering how sparsely populated the area is it shouldn’t have been that surprising, you really feel like your out in the middle of nowhere. Just shows how Northern I am ;) I was disappointed it was overcast , the sky would have been phenomenal with no lights to ruin the view.

This Park is laid out in a “horseshoe” and speed restrictions make it a long drive from end to end. The visitors center has some helpful employees that were very informative. Not surprisingly the river is the big draw in the area. The Ranger I spoke to said that there was a reinactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition due in that weekend. I was directed to the trailhead further in past the several cabins sitting in opportune locations along the road. The trail was moderately technical and you get to walk across the Niobrara on an old train bridge converted to a walkway. Unfortunately the far side was closed. There is also a horse trail ride offered (which would have been interesting with the boys).

The one con of the campground is that though you have an excellent view of the Niobrara River there is no easy access to it from the sites. Definitely a destination campground if you enjoy the river sports.

Look for it

Pease Creek Recreation Area is off the Missouri River out in the middle of nowhere but if you are a water/fishing person it is worth the drive for a quiet, laid back vacation.

South Dakota has some long straight roads and the GPS worked most of the time as well as cell phone signal. It would on occasion drop off so make sure you have your trusty map. The signage in was good and don’t be surprised when you hit gravel roads, just slow down ;)

The campground was pretty quiet and mostly deserted when we overnighted. It was dark, quiet and plenty of sites to choose from. Basic hook up, plenty of space to set up in, more of an RV geared campground. The area was well maintained but facilities could use an update/good cleaning.

Right outside the area is a privately owned campground that looked like it was expanding so that will add to the boatramp traffic and noise. It was more of a permanent RV area but may have short term rentals.

There was hiking to be had and horses were allowed but it’s definitely a water recreation area. Due to the weather , 40’s when we visited and raining we did not get to enjoy the water like I had wanted. Town is not nearby so fuel up and stock up before driving out!

Neat Park

We stopped on our way to South Dakota this summer and were surprised to find these Rv sites at the municipal park. Our site was in the grass, there was a neat little bridge and the park was well kept. Plenty of room between sites and reasonably priced. Great place to stop over.

Scenic Seclusion

Beautiful views of the Missouri and Niobrara atop hervily wooded hills. Tent sites are either along the paved 1 way road or farther back in the trees of the hills via a short trail. Vault toilets are plentiful as well as water spigots. Has several nice trails and points of interest. Was very clean theoughout and well cared for. Also offers cabins and an RV campground.

Awesome

Stayed at campsite through Sharps Outfitters and kayaked as well. Awesome trip very pretty!!

Nice small campground

Very nice small campground. Very clean. Must have reservations to stay. Weekends are typically booked during the summer but during the week can usually have any spot. The site is divided up into 2 areas about 10 sites in each area. Sites 1thru 11 are on the river. Sites 12 thru 20 are not. No beach at campground.

City park next to rodeo.

City Park. Very clean and sites are level. Clean showers and restroom. Stay up to 3 days without checking in to the city offices. Donation but they do charge $10 per nite if the stay is over 3 days. Train is close and goes by often.

Beautiful scenery, plenty of activities and history!

We stayed in our camper on the RV campground. I like that the RV's are not so close together! It qlwas quiet, scenic, lots of things to do. People genuinely seem to enjoy themselves. Lots of animal sightings, birds, and wild flowers, etc. You can get a real feel for the country out here. The ONLY drawback is needing quarters for a shower….but they do have a change machine.

good

a great place for get togethers

great

a nice little park

beautiful and scenic

must go back! so much history in the fort part of the park, swell kept campsites down river and lots of hiking!

One of the best Getaways!

While this is off the beaten path, it is worth the drive time. Rolling Sandhills, beautiful rivers, great camping, hiking, swimming, etc. This is such a peaceful place with so much ground to cover. We plan on going back just to see more of the park!

Beautiful views

We are usually tent campers but stayed in a cabin this trip which worked out well because as the sun went down the mosquitos came out and they were ferocious. The cabin was very nice and we were allowed to bring our dogs. We were there the first day the pool opened for the year so the water was very cold but we had so much fun. We did some hiking and a lot of bike riding. Being there during the week so early in the season we missed all of the activities that they have on weekends but enjoyed having the park to ourselves. This park is out of the way so probably doesn't get as much traffic as some other parks. We will definitely go back some day.

Niobrara state park

This park has great views, plenty of site choices, and clean bathrooms. Park overlooks the confluence of the Niobrara river and the Missouri River. There was an old train bridge turned into a hiking trail, very cool being so close to the river. Tented in an Adirondack shelter which was great cover from wind and rain.

Awesome location, great times

I have many good memories of this beautiful campground and fun times. Stayed at the campgrounds, then did a river float. It was everything I wanted in a camping trip--beautiful scenery, awesome sunsets and well maintained facilities. Floating down the Niobrara was an awesome time. You have access to get some things you might need or forget in town, but otherwise it's important to know it is fairly remote for access to things.

Camping & Fishing Galore

Very nice, large campground along the Missouri River. Beautiful location which offers easy access to fishing locations. Our campsite was basic but roomy. We did not have quarters along to operate the shower house, so had to run to town for change.

Hiking the Niobrara

This park has so much to offer, it is located where the Niobrara and the Missouri River meet. Many amazing views beautiful clean water and miles of hiking trails. I unfortunately was not able to hike for too long due to the hot day I chose to venture off in the woods, but luckily enough was able to cool off in their breathtaking river and than in their pool. For camping this place is by far one of the best campgrounds I have been to. The cabins are fully furnished back porch tv dishes all you need are good friends and family and your food to fill the fridge… I will be there constantly while I'm in Nebraska, hope to see you there. Happy camping