Morrill, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Morrill Camping Reviews
Rustic Camping

Some of us still prefer to rustic camp in a tent with no amenities; listen to the sound of birds, wind, silence, to feel the night wrap around you when you sleep. Your mobile homes are too big for the rustic lake sites! You’re generators are ridiculous and loud. Take that to the RV site. This one camper was so big that it took up half the one way road, now people tear up the nice grass to get around a RV that was never meant to camp in these sites when the camp sites were built. Serious.

Not a lot of privacy, but lake was beautiful

The sites are close together but many had a fair amount of shade. The park is quite large, with opportunities for hiking and getting out on the water.

Options options options

Fun place to go.

Cool hiking trails, fun biking trails, good place to explore history, swim and boat.

Campsites are spread out so you can find what you need.

Go for the scenery, not the facilities

We stayed four weeknights and had a pretty good time. The sites were loose gravel and very unlevel. Not too crowded during the week. The vault toilet was close to our site but you had to really need to use it to go in there. (Think ‘fly-tornado’ when you open the door.) We ventured out to use the shower house and found that it was a single shower for both men and women, for the entire state park! We couldn’t believe it… but more surprising was that it was a pay-to-use shower… $1 for the first four minutes and a quarter for each additional minute thereafter. Not a huge cost, granted, but we paid around $40/night for a campsite. That’s double what we’re used to paying for a much nicer campsite in our part of the world. The views around the lake were awesome. We’ll go back just for this reason. There were many trails in the park but most were poorly marked and some were simply not able to be found due to overgrowth.

Small, private Rv spot

Westfield is a small private Rv campground. It has 13 full hook up sites which are right by US Hwy 26. There are no picnic benches, no fire rings, and no Shade. There is 1 cabin on site.

Small, private Rv spot

Hot and sunny - but might be nice with a boat

This was rated highly by others but we didn’t enjoy our stay. The State Park is spread out over a few miles around a lake formed by a dam. The entrance fee collector was not helpful in describing where to camp. Driving through it looks like you pay a fee to get in and then look for campfire rings for a dispersed camping site. Little loops are given different campground names.

It was hot and we needed some shade. We found one spot that was down a canyon and away from the water. We were the only ones in the loop so it was private but what a mess. Garbage was all over and I couldn’t even use the men’s vault toilet near us. Water pressure was amazing and garbage cans were easily found at the end of the canyon loop.

We did drive around to see the highlights and everything is out in the sun. They say they have miles of hiking trails but we didn’t go far because of the heat.

If you have a boat and get a spot by the water this might have been a different experience for us.

City camping?

We had some difficulty locating this park and eventually asked a local where it was (Google maps will not direct you to the right place; the “campground” is located on East 11th Street and First Avenue). It is located uphill from the downtown area so don’t confuse it with another city park closer to downtown. Now, to review the campground. Western Nebraska campgrounds are unlike other places we are used to – perhaps it is because of summer heat (and biting flies) but most seem to be geared toward RVs. This one has three "sites", although they are not separated in any way save for the electrical and water hook-ups. Just room for three rigs on a gravel area. No tents for sure. Across the street from these “sites” is a nice lawn area with lots of trees and a covered picnic pavilion, which could make your stay more pleasant, as long as a group isn’t using it. There was a persistent barking dog nearby while I was checking it out. About the only redeeming thing I can think of for this place is the price: free for the first two nights but you would need to pay$10 per night after (I guess to discourage people from living there). Close to Chimney Rock and about 25 miles from Scotts Bluff but otherwise not much in the area.

Smack dab in town

We stumbled across City Slickers RV Park in Torrington and wanted to make sure it was an option for people coming to the area. It has 27 sites(RV) with full hook ups on a complete gravel area with not much shade. It’s right across the street from St. Joes Children’s Home. It is $20 a day and only excepts check or cash. It would work for the night or if you prefer to be in town.

Close to Scottsbluff

Open May 1– October 1. Got the second to last site on a Wednesday in July(you can reserve sites after the campground opens on May 1). We chose this campground for its proximity to Scottsbluff. Although there is a tent site area, the campground was filled mostly with large RVs. The hosts were very friendly and welcoming and even though it was not a large campground, the host escorted us to our site. He offered several times to deliver firewood to us if we wanted. Reasonable cost for sites($10 tent camping,$20 water and electric,$25 for full hook-up). Best sites are the ones at the end of the rows as they have a nice patch of lawn. Alcoholic beverages are permitted but must be consumed inside your rig/tent. WiFi is available but not a strong signal; using our own data worked much better. Restrooms were reasonably clean(accessed via a code) and there are showers. This campground is located within a city park and there are other facilities(fitness trail, dog park, and supposedly a zoo). I did a little exploring but rain was imminent so I didn’t wander far, however, the facilities outside the campground looked like they could have used a little TLC. Of course, there is a nearby train!

Small in town but feels secluded

Pioneer Park is a small but nice stop in Torrington. It is located in town but still feels like your secluded. There is a stream and river within the park. There are trails, frisbee golf, horseshoes,playground, amphitheater, and basketball hoop. Along with picnic shelters. The Rv sites are Electric And water but there is a dump station . It is priced very reasonable at $15 a night with a 10 night limit. I could sit on the little bridge and listen to the water run for hours.

Small campground-16 sites

Located in Fort Laramie on Us Hwy 26 is the Chuckwagon Rv Park. It is a small park with 16 Full hook up sites. Each site has a picnic table but no fire ring( which we are finding normal for this area). It is privately owned and is fine for a quick stop passing through.

Campground with museum on grounds

Driving down US Highway 26 about 5 miles East of Ft. Laramie, you will find Pony Soldier RV Park. There are 52 RV Sites ranging from Electric and water to full hook ups. The sites for the most part are level and gravel and some shade. There is an area for tents. There are picnic benches scattered throughout the campground. There is a community area where there are 3 grills and a fire pit. They offer internet, laundry, restrooms/showers, and gift shop. There is also a history museum on the property. Julie(owner) is very kind and accommodating. There are trains and highway noise but you get use to it.

Very comfortable

Wonderful staff!!

Very comfortable with some shaded sites. Water and electric available for RVs. Very close to historical sites and some great views.

Great base camp

We stayed here and traveled to the local sites. The camping area has a great view. The RV sites are pretty level and some have power and water. At the entrance is a good place to fill up fresh water tanks if you are staying at a dispersed site. The dump station is at the entrance as well. The staff and Park Rangers were very kind and courteous as we visited the different historic locations. We will definitely return.

Not a great place to stay

We arrived to find that the site we had reserved was not only occupied by another RV, but the people had essentially taken off for days.  We were given a different, worse site, and had no options, since the campground was full.  The person in charge of the campground was less than helpful.  We had chosen that site MONTHS in advance so we could accommodate a screen tent.  The bugs are horrendous (mosquitoes primarily, with flies coming in  a close second).  We were unable to put up the screen tent due to how small the site was, and how close to the water we were…like a few feet from stagnant, buggy water.  To say it was NOT a  good experience is an understatement.  We left after one unpleasant night.  We will not go back, and instead re-route to go to a better rated campground next time.

Ranger Review of Ice Mule Cooler at Larson Park Campground Wyoming.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }

Ranger Review of Larson Park Campground Wyoming.

Larson Park Campground is a city owned campground and is attached to the Guernsey golf course, so if you like to golf this one might just be for you. The campground has 15 sites RV sites with 30/50 power on shared power pedestals. These are back in sites all right next to each other. Their is a nice grassy area for tents. The grassy area as several picnic tables and BBQ grills, but not enough for every camp location. A pavilion has quiet a few picnic tables allowing you to eat get out of the rain, or in the shade on a hot day. The site has a restroom facilities and showers. A small play ground structure is available for the kids. Their are several historical sites in the area, a must see is the Oregon Trail ruts located just a short distance away. Be sure to visit Register Cliff just a few miles away and Fort Laramie is 30 minutes down the highway. The campground has a small store with friendly staff. Water is available, each shared pedestal has a frost-free for water.  Hookup sites are $20, Dry camp $14 and Tents $12.

Ranger Review of Ice Mule Cooler Pro Large (23L)

We used our Ice Mule cooler as our cooler for our trip to Guernsey Wyoming. Placed our snacks and drinks in the cooler with two ice packs at 6am Friday morning. Was amazed that this kept everything cold through Sunday evening. Being able to carry a cooler on you back is a nice feature. We are looking forward to taking this on our canoe trips this summer as this is going to be way easier than lugging a hard sided cooler from our canoe to campsite each day. The pack/cooler is also comfortable to wear making it useful to long day hikes on hot days. It is going to be nice to have a nice cold drink on a hike when it is 90 degrees out.

Historic Campground - You're 150 years late for camping here

This is the historic site for the Cold Spring Campground where travelers on the Oregon Trail, California Trail and Mormon Trail often camped on their trip west. But those travelers stopped coming through the area about 150 years ago. Site has two historical markers, one with a detailed history of the site (see pictures)

Ranger Review Wildcat Hills SRA campground and INNO INH 330 Aero Light

Ranger review of Wildcat Hills SRA. If you love to hike and want to truly feel like you are away from it all check out Wildcat Hills. This beautiful recreation area just South of Gering Nebraska is just minutes away from geological wonders such as Chimney Rock, Jailhouse Rock and Scott’s Bluff National Memorial Park. Wildcat offers Archery, gun range, biking, hiking, picnicking, a playground, nature center and hunting. I’d add that if you are a bird watcher you need to get to Wildcat hills. There are also big horn sheep, wildcats, rattle snakes, elk, and deer in the area although we didn’t see any in our two days and nights at the park. There is a huge nature center that will provide a great place to cool off, stay dry or just for learning for the sake of learning. 4 main trail heads interconnect through rough, minimally maintained hiking trails that climb up to 5,000 feet. Backpack a lunch to the bottom of the canyon and try to find the Game of Thrones shelter (my pet name for it). I’ve given this park 4 stars because we were fortunate enough to camp at the group site that an area boy-scout troop updated. There are two other camp sites along the dirt road leading to the group site. Those 12 total sites are very close together and I wouldn’t recommend anything more than a pop up camper in those spots which are right on the road. If you have to camp in one of those 12 sites I’d rate the camping at 2 or 3 stars. this park hits it out of the ball park with the hiking and nature center.

Ranger review INNO INH 330 Aero Light Bike Rack

I had the opportunity to review the INNO INH 330 Aerolight QM bike rack. I have put hundreds of miles on this 2 bike rack from state parks to urban use. INNO has created a rack that is worthy of consideration among high end bike racks. The INNO arrived in a large clean and well packaged box and was nearly fully assembled. There are a number of pros and cons to be considered with this rack as with any product. I’ve listed those below.

Pros: Well made light metal and plastic construction that I believe will hold up for a very long time. Innovative locking cable for piece of mind. Fits both 1.5” and 2” receiver. Quiet ride. Exceptionally study bike securement if you don’t have attachment and you have a triangular bike frame. Protects your bike from banging into other bike like on hanging style racks.

Cons: awkward fit on height bar strap if you have a water bottle or bike tire pump attachment. If you are mounting different bikes often there a few adjustment steps that will take some time before you can secure your bike. The pins that secure the arms in the lower and upper positions can stick and require some force to pull out and place. I think some WD40 would probably resolve that issue. Bikes without the traditional triangle frame do not strap well to the veritable bar.

In the end, I’d give this rack 3.5 stars I would give it 4 if it fit my son’s non-triangle frame bike. I recommend that you consider the INNO and determine if it will fit your bikes and your needs. This rack has become my go to if I only need to take my bike or one other. Find your local retailer and try it out with your bikes.

Sorry about the oddly formatted photos. They flipped during upload.

Guernsey, Wy

Stayed in the Yurts here for part of my honeymoon. Great views and very peaceful. Close to the Oregon Trail Ruts

windy but great

Lots of other campers in view but not bothered by anyone! we had our own private beach. Check the weather before you go!!!

Clean water, spots next to water.. serenity

Very nice, yet smaller body of water. Sandy lake great for jet skis.

Nice place for overnight or a longer stay. Close to the Scottsbluff Monumen

The 3 days we stayed there were a number of rvs with people from the Scottsbluff area. Was there during Gering days and had no issues getting a site. Gravel but with full hookups if needed.

Great views of reservoir!

Easy access and views of the lake. Forested; private sites available. Interesting history/museum. Some short trails. Bring bug spray.

Massive Campground with Plenty to Choose from

If you can't find a campground you need to not be camping. There are options ranging from Tent to Yurts. It really is a diverse place. Lots of big rigs with big boats at this place. The sites range from no electricity (which made it a bit louder with generators going at night) to 50 amp. Little dusty in places. We stayed in Sandy Beach and had a great view of the water which was perfect at sunset, but we also had the trains near as well. The campground didn't have flush toilets which is why most have their big rigs to use. The town itself doesn't offer too much and it looked as though most people were there to boat.

Boats and RVs

This camp site is not ideal for those who want a camp site away from it all. There are a ton of RVs that are setting up at all hours of the day and night. My camp site was near a very active railroad track. The bathroom facilities were clean and we were by the resevoir. Overall, just not what I was looking for. The site was super pricey once all the fees were included. Not worth it.

Clean and beautiful Primitive camping

Large ravines, ponderosa pines and lots of wildlife nearby to greet visitors. The nearby nature center is a must stop for travelers. The camp sites are clean and have picnic tables and fire rings. There is access to water nearby and pit toilets near the sites, several secluded areas to choose from. Gorgeous views of the Platte River Valley, lots of songbirds. THe CCC built several stone shelters in the area for visitor use as well. Nearby and very modern shooting range with expert instructors a few miles away.

Guernsey State Park

It was absolutely beautiful. Calm and quiet. We had a wonderful time!

Panoramic Views with many camping options

I was looking for a place along I-25 to break up a drive, and I was not disappointed. I was a little apprehensive picking a place 10+ mile East of the highway, since I know most of the great views fo the Tetons are West of the highway, but this place delivered in spades.

First off, there are plenty of places to camp within the park. Choose from a beachside spot or a beach point (+100s of feet) view. I elected for a small, 3 plot only place called Davis Bay to get some solitude. The Ranger who ran into me during his rounds of the grounds said this place is pretty vacant on weekdays (I camped on a Wed) with places like the above mentioned spots along with Yurts and a place called "the Castle" available for group rentals.

Overall the park is in really great shape, and I highly recommend a bike ride/hike/drive up to Brimmer's Point, which provides a lot of the views you'll see from the photos.

My area had no water, and I noticed the same from Beachside spots. Skyline View campgrounds was the one with the potable water.

While I imagine this place is fantastic for everything from water skiing and fishing to party boating along the river (with various launch points) it is highly dependent on the water level, which appears at the mercy of the township since this is a reservoir lake-related setup so if you're one for water sports, I recommend a call to the park to get a report on water levels.

Location and Staff are Redeeming Qualities Here

We stayed at this campground in late fall. There are very few campgrounds available in this area after the summer ends, so selection was limited. Reservations are made via phone or submitted online form. Although the staff was very attentive, from the confirmation phone call to the registration, we were a bit put off that the sites were very open and close together. In addition, when the employee called to ask about what we needed for our reservation, she implied full hook up, including cable in our mind. When we arrived we discovered there were very few sites that had cable available, and so our sons were disappointed that they would not be spoiled for the weekend (they don't get cable TV at home!). This RV park appears to be owned by the city of Gering, NE.

The view of Scotts Bluff National Monument from the campground is beautiful, especially in the evening. I enjoyed watching the sun go down and hit the bluffs with that perfect golden glow (so much better than cable TV, right?), but was also put off that there were no fire rings, so we could not have a campfire at our site either. They do have raised grills for charcoal (or maybe small wood) and each site has a picnic table.

On the plus side, there is a playground attached to the property that has updated equipment that our sons enjoyed.