Imperial, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Imperial Camping Reviews
Campground with small pond

When you pull off at Paxton Nebraska, there is a campground with 12 full hook ups next to the gas station(the Lodge). There is a car wash and hotel there too. The Rv sites are pull thru so easy to park. Each site is spacious with a BBQ grill but no fire rings or picnic tables. You register at the hotel and sites are $22/ night and include cable. If you are tired and need a place to pull over this area serves its purpose.

Neat place to sleepover

Sleepy Sunflower RV Park is a neat place to stop over. Although it is right next to the interstate which is noisy, it has a cute western feel. It has a little area they call the town square wtt a wagon and carriage. It has tables with umbrellas, an area to BBQ, fire pit and outdoor kitchen. There is a office/market, free WiFi, playground, and a small pet run. The 28 RV sites are on rock, with full hook-ups, picnic table and some have fire pits. The 8 tent areas have grass with sand area for the tent to sit on, there are also 2 Tee-pees to rent. The bathrooms are extremely clean, as is the campground in whole. We did not have a reservation and showed up after hours hoping we could get in. It was nice that there was a place to check in and pay after hours. The office and campground was decorated nicely and owners (DuPeire family)live on site. There is a book and puzzle exchange, recycle bins and access codes for security.

Great little place!

This site is a little tight on space when they are busy, but management is very friendly and accommodating. The small town is also very quaint and peaceful and pretty. Just know that the streets roll up at 9pm.

Fairground rv Park

The RV park is part of the fairground so activities can be busy. The layout is poorly designed but as long as the aren't busy you can occupy as much area as you want  but if they were busy you would not have room for you slide outs. they do have plans to expand and allow for more room. Rates for FHU is 25 for first day and 15 q day after that.

Beautiful Vistas, Sandy Beaches, Starlit Nights, Absolutely Marvelous

We loved this camping area and have been dreaming of returning.

The view was spectacular from the tent site, but there are plenty of full hookup sites available.

Though most lakes in Nebraska are man-made and muddy, this manmade lake is in the sandhills so it is all beach and clear water. The showers are free and there are plenty of hydrants for non-hookup sites.

There is good trout fishing here and excellent bird watching. We saw the Long-billed Curlew, Burrowing Owl, and several other birds checked off our bucket list.

The towns of both Ogallala and Lewellen both had plenty to see.

The camp host was exceptional and helpful beyond what is typically expected.

Hidden gem

I stopped at this campsite on a cross country road trip from NY to NV, as I didn’t know anyone who resided in the great state of Nebraska. Talk about a total hidden gem!! This campground is one of the most beautiful, quiet and serene campgrounds I have ever been to. There are lots of sites right along the water and perfect for fishing!! Absolutely some gorgeous views here.

Great campground.

The host is super sweet, the park is well maintained. The bathrooms are clean, sites are level, reasonably priced. Great for overnight or long term.

Nice campground on the Sutherland reservoir

Lots of RV sites but we were able to pitch our tent by the beach and there was plenty of space. Got super windy by the reservoir. The woman at the golf course clubhouse, which is also the front desk of the campground, let us cook dinner at the tables behind the clubhouse and use the outdoor bathrooms there.

Very pretty

Really nice little lake for kayaking and fishing. There was some people swiming in the lake but it was too cold to go in there. Watch out for biting flies.

Quiet camping next to a fishing lake.

Clean restrooms with showers. Well wooded and below the dam so there is not much wind.

Ranger Review: Matador Base Layer Camera Bag at Oregon Trail GC&C

Campground Review

Also known as Sutherland Reservoir North Shore Recreation Area, I found this place in Nebraska not long after a terrible thunderstorm came rolling in along I-80. The golf gods we're with me on this one, because I didn't even know until I got there that there was even a golf course. The storm was bad, but not bad enough from keeping me playing 9 holes the next day!

This place is surprisingly popular given how basic the amenities are. As a golfer, sure, it's a plus there's a course but this place is also on a huge reservoir lake and has a launch point nearby. Lots of people staying here had some sort of boat or jetski for fishing or recreation. As a tent camper my toilet options were two port-o poties on one end of the grounds (it's not a big campground) or a toilet with a sink attached to the golf course clubhouse. No showers. The staff at the place were very nice and even though they were full, they gave me a spot just on the grass somewhere so I could spend the night. It was cheap - only $10 all-in. You can also buy snacks and refreshments from the clubhouse.

The camp spots were tightly packed in and not a lot of space to roam around that wouldn't be on someone's campsite. Best enjoyed it seemed by big groups.

Ranger Review

As a Dyrt Ranger I am given products to test from time to time. I photograph a lot on my adventures with a DLSR and noticed the Matador Base Layer, and a lightweight, protective case for my camera would be GREAT. I was a big fan of the built-in rain fly as well. Matador makes a few products friendly for wet weather and conditions, and this is no exception.

• Video Test of the Matador base layer in a rainstorm below

The bag is easy to take on and off your camera, and its 'base layer' fabric is very reminiscent of a base layer jacket. It's well stitched so the insulated padding doesn't clump up in one area and keeps it well placed for protection.

Speaking of protection - yes it is a great bag for weather protection (rain,dust). No, it is not the best for high impact situations. It is a light case, and by default of that, it's protection is going to be limited. I wouldn't use this to wrap my DSLR + lens in if I was going to then put the camera in a larger bag and carrying/transport that around, but I would use it in situations where my camera would be out a lot and the impact risk is low.

Proc/Cons

When you need to use the camera, simply unclip the buckle and pull from the bottom. Very easy, very fast. One issue then is now you have a bag in your hand and you want to use your hands to take a photo. It's a little awkward trying to find a pocket big enough to stuff it. if you clip it back to the camera strap, it is awkward to then try and use your camera. You can clip it to a bag, sure, but what if you're not carrying a bag? I don't always and just hike with my camera and a water bottle.

I have enjoyed using this on day hikes in Colorado in Rocky Mountain National Park on easy trails, but would be worried about this as it swung from my neck/shoulder and then slipped on some trail and as I regain my balance (hopefully), it's swinging from my neck and knocks into some side wall or rock/tree. When you hold it in your hands you can tell it is super well made immediately, but I do wish the material was a bit thicker.

Version 2.0?

In a future iteration, I would love to see a camera sling bag made out of the same materials and buckle + rain fly system. Just a little thicker for more padded protection for higher impacts. Also, an integrated shoulder sling strap. On that strap there could even be a hidden pocket or inlet to clip camera lens covers to or something multi-purpose, like a stash cloth to wipe off lenses. Your NanoDry fabrics are pretty cool, perhaps some integration there would lead people to want to test out other products if they liked the base layer, like the towels or teardrop bags. That all-in one bag would still be lightweight and still have water/dust protection, but could then stay slung over my shoulder, leaving me hands- free for taking shots.

Fishing area

Lake Ogallala Trail is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ogallala, primarily used for hiking. The lake itself is pretty small (large pond) especially compared to its neighbor Lake McConoughey

The camping area was a little on the primitive side. Morning catfishing right off the banks is excellent!

Great area with wonderful siteseeing

Lake Ogallala and it’s campground was beautiful! Plenty of fishing, great area for walking, and you can hop right over to lake McConaughy for even more water action, restaurants and beautiful seeneri! The camp sites of most of the campground we small and very close together though.

Less crowded than lake McConaughy

there are two campgrounds, one on the east and one on the west sides of the lake. The east side has electrical and water hookups the west doesn’t. We stayed on the west side toward the south end in a unnumbered site. There are Porta Potty’s fairly close to all sites but water is a little more sparse. The west side is next to Kingsley Dam and is less populated but there is road noise during the day. The west side is non reservable. This lake is quieter than McConaughy but is only a couple minutes drive away. McConaughy is loaded with activities.

Open spots

Find a spot set up Camp that’s it. No real sights there. You are on the east side/backside of the damn. Sun sets a little earlier. Lol. Fishing. Bird watching. And you are rights at the foot of Mebraskas largest lake. Where boating fishing and beach’s are abundant.

No water

The campground is nice. There's hardly any water in it and it's very Rocky to put a boat in

Great place to stop on an X-C road trip

I live in Denver. I sail in Maine and commute in my minimalist camper van. Returning West, I was tired and it was getting dark and a big storm was about to bust loose. I looked at my map and saw a patch of green with blue in the middle, right off the highway and headed for it. Sutherland Park State Recreation Area is on a lake formed by a dam with a small hydropower plant. There's a campground away from the water, but it was deserted and creeped me out. The other camping was by the lake. Nice breeze. $7/night. Pay at the bar/golf course club house serving the locals.