De Witt, NEBRASKA

Most Recent De Witt Camping Reviews
One my favorite

Great little lake. Fun to explore and hike in the wooded areas, and some of the best camping spots are a little hidden.

Close to town lakeside tent camping

The pros! Lakeside tent camping is always fun. Lots of activities, like boating, swimming, fishing, hiking, etc. And its close to town.

The cons! Its close to town, so it can be a bit crowded on nicer weekends.

Its great for overnighters in the middle of the week.

Bluestem

Easy access but a lil run down

Very nice quiet little trailer park!

Owner Randy is very helpful! He will make your stay a pleasant one!

Limited space

We stopped here and snagged a 30/50 amp spot with water which was just a small gravel pull off on the street through the park. We noticed several locals had parked in other RV spots to get out and walk their dogs so the available space was pretty limited. But the space was free so there’s that. We felt safe here.

Car racers paradise

Ranger Review: Red Ledge Free Rein Rain Jacket at Lincoln Air Park Campground

Campground Review:

Having downtown Lincoln about 20 minutes away from Lincoln Air Park means that there is a lot to do and go see close by.  Being a SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) member means that when you go to an event at Lincoln Air Park, you can camp on site.

This isn’t your typical campground by any means. This is a huge paved area of the airport where the SCCA hosts autocross races.  This means that you must bring all your camping gear with you. It is typically motor homes and RVs that stay on the site, but a few brave people pack a tent and set it up on the concrete pad.

There are little to no amenities on-site so you need to be prepared.  There are port-a-potties but no drinking water available. If you do need water or septic tanks serviced, there is a $50 fee to have a company come out and fill or empty those in your RV.

The quiet hours on-site are from 10PM to 6AM and the rest of the day it is loud.  There are cars running the autocross course and the occasional plane takes off on the adjacent runway.  Like I said, this isn’t your typical campground, but it is very nice to be able to stay on-site while racing.

Being on-site is great as you get to socialize with other competitors after the days events and many times the SCCA will sponsor a dinner for the drivers after an event.

What is great about this area is the Haymarket in downtown Lincoln.  It is worth the short 15 to 20 minute drive to experience all the great restaurants and activities they hold in this beautiful downtown setting.  You can find out more at https://lincolnhaymarket.org/.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I sometimes get to test out various camping gear.  At the Lincoln Air Park I tested out the Red Ledge Free Rein rain jacket. This is the perfect spot to put the rain jacket to the test, as it always seems to rain a couple times during my stays in Lincoln.

This is the nicest rain coat I have ever owned.  I'm used to the heavy ones that do not breathe at all.  I was surprised at how well made this Red Ledge rain jacket is.  The rain jacket is a good material thickness for the cooler rainy days, but I also don't think it is too hot when it gets muggy out during the rain.  This jacket has pit zippers which open up a huge area to let you get some fresh air in and the hot air out.

I find these a must now that I've worn a rain jacket with venting areas.  This just makes you so much more comfortable. I was also able to keep these completely open during the rain and I never got wet.

I also really like the hood on this rain jacket.  Most rain jackets have a hood but it is always in your face and if you turn your head it gets in the way.  The hood has a shock cord running through it that can be tightened, above your ears where a baseball cap is worn, and it keeps the hood in place.  This is great and I found it to be very comfortable.

I am 5'10" and 154 lbs. I read a review that said the rain jacket runs a little small so I ordered a large which is a size up from my normal jackets.  I found this to be just about perfect. The back is longer than the front of this jacket, which I like for using on a bicycle and the sleeves were just about an inch or two long which is great for reaching for the handlebars on the bike.  I would recommend one size up from your normal size as it also allows you to put another layer on underneath if you need to in colder weather.

Another bonus is the great colors this jacket comes in.  I like the bright colors offered as compared to many other rain jackets that seem to be black, or other dark colors.

See http://redledge.com/collections/free-rein/products/mens-free-rein-jacket to see more about the rain jacket!

Awesome

The park is well kept, the sites have plenty of space to them so you don’t feel like you’re on top of someone else’s camper. There’s playgrounds and a pool, a dog park, basketball court and disc golf. The nicest park we’ve stayed at for sure.

Quiet spot

We were the only tent campers here, about half of the 16rv spots were taken. It’s right on a little river and has a play set and portapotty. Self check in and cheap! About 10 min off of I80. It is a great spot to stop for the night.

My favorite small town

Claim to fame is their Black Squirrels. Wonderfull town with several museums. Don't pass this town without stopping.

Very nice!

Very nice campground. Kid friendly with tons of activities. Nice pool & hot tub. Clean laundry facilities and they even have a dog park.

Nice and quiet

Great place! Nice open spaces, never too crowded, well maintained!

Conestoga State Recreation area. Site 50 and major renovation review

Conestoga SRA is an increasingly popular campground following major renovations that were completed in 2018. Improvements to the picnic tables, restrooms, added shelter area and most importantly a complete overhaul of the lake have made this a much improved campground. Conestoga is entirely walk up with no reservations. You can easily self register at the park entrance and a second location closer to the lake centrally located between two of the three camping areas. A pack in primitive campground was also added to the lake and is accessible via a gravel hiking path. Fishing for mature fish will not be possible until 2021 according to Nebraska game and parks. I did see plentiful immature fish while kayaking the lake in June of 2019. The lake was complete dredged out and the parks commission added several silt pond around the lake to capture silt run off. This should keep this lake much cleaner than it was in the past. The park is boat and kayak friendly these days with the addition of two brand new boat ramps. By my count there were three new fishing docks going up although only one was completed during my stay. This is not relatively quite campground but it is popular. Kids can ride their bikes all around the paved and gravel rounds throughout the camp. The sites in the row on the side of site 50 are huge. We enjoyed spreading our stuff out with multiple tents and played games in the large open space. Shade is limited over a good 1/3 of the powered sites. The primitive site closer to the lake is well shaded with mature trees. There was a camp host who made sure we knew where the storm shelter was on the night of our stay. We nearly needed to use it as we experienced a severe thunder storm. There are 25 camp pads offering 20-30–50 amp hook ups and another 8 non electric pad sites. There is a dump station and several vaulted, well maintained toilet houses. Water is also available. If you plan on boating there is a 5mph speed limit so this is more of a canoe or kayaking lake or just for fishing. I highly recommend this SRA close to Lincoln Nebraska

Quiet and peaceful

We had a quiet weekend, though the camp was less than half full. Electrical hookups and tent camping are available. We stayed in the bottom section, close to water, the view was very nice. They have a playground and beach area, primitive restrooms, boat ramp, and at least two covered areas for gatherings. There is no dump station, the nearest one is about 6 miles North at Milligan at a gas station along highway 41. No wake boating, but kayaking/canoeing the lake is the best way to see and fish this lake. Check out web site here http://littlebluenrd.org/recreation/#Lone_Star.

Family Friendly

Convenient location right off the highway, but with that you do get the noise. Has a playground and pool as will as a convenience store. Bathrooms and showers were clean. Not much to do outside of the campgrounds, but we were just passing through so was an ideal spot for us. Offers military discount.

Great place to camp

Great campground nice shade on part of rv sites . Easy access, very nice shower house, very well kept. Only improvement would be sewer hookups. Highly Recomend

Long time camper here!!

I love the whole park - especially the archery range!!

Price hikers

We stayed there 2 months earlier and is primitive camping so we have rv with generator and price for site was 8 dollars a night for a camp site. Good deal so went back same place set up in same area. Dog Shit all over ground bad i mean real bad and price jumped to 15 a night . Well because we had been there before and knew the price we set up camp and then went to pay. Surprise 15 a night, were going stay a week but stayed one night. 15 a night with dog crap all over and not just my site all along the lake must have had dog convention. Very disapointed will not go back

Camp ground becomes private or reserved

Was going to stay for the fair and other events and was told camp ground was reserved for fair people and 4 h . Well thats fine but put up a sign saying camp ground is closed. We were there first and We were first told we could stay so we unloaded and were then told we could not stay. Bad deal We will NOT ever be back.

Great if Attending an Event or Passing Through

Right next to the event center, tent or rv camping is allowed. Depending on what's happening that day, it can be quiet or very busy. All sites are gravel and have electrical hookups. Internet is available throughout the area. Fires must be contained in an enclosed fire pit and pets must be kept on leash at all times. You can use the arena for showering during the day which is incredibly helpful.

Pleasantly Surprised

I give 5 stars because of purpose. I rate based off of what I’m looking for and if it fits my needs. I try not to compare the likes of city campgrounds to those in the mountains (apples and oranges) I also wasn’t sure what to expect but was very happy with this campground. Had originally planned on tripping to Omaha more than one day but only ended up only going once to hit the Henry Doorley Zoo because we had enough to occupy us at the campground. Very kid friendly with great staff. sites were fairly close together but have been at worse. Pro & Con - right next to the interstate. Since we were site seeing around the area it was convenient instead the more nature excursion camping trip. But the traffic noise is not the most desirable. Would be a great place to stay if you’re going to go to a corn huskers game-short drive to the stadium. We actually went to a minor league ball game; Lincoln Salt Dogs, was a good time and also great time for the kids! If we ever venture that direction again I will gladly stay here again.

Crowded but Nice

The campgrounds were well manicured and very clean. Shower house was decent but could have been a little larger with more stalls. The host and Nebraska Game and Parks patrolled literally every 1/2 hour which we actually liked so there was no issues with people breaking the rules. The lake was good sized for our 29 ft boat and there was even a free boat dock with 8 slips to use. Tons of jet skiers on the water though and alot of them seemed under age or amateurish as in they did not mind the rules of the water. There were several sandy beaches to stop and swim. Overall it was a pleasent stay.

Great easy getaway

Went tent camping with 3 kids on a weekday and had the place to ourselves. I really like area 4. There are a bunch of campsites close to the lake but if you keep going there is a parking area and a short trail through the woods that leads to an open area right by the lake. Secluded but still pretty close to the bathroom if needed.

Best Anniversary Yet

We went Memorial Day weekend thinking it would be packed with guests. Lucky for us there were maybe 10 other tents and then plenty of RVs. The walk to the lake is quiet, and the sunsets are beautiful on the water! We will definitely be going back again.

As discribed

Right off I 80. Gravel road & gravel parking. No frills… but for a night or 2 it’s perfect. Walking to Wendy’s & McDonalds.
We were by the office & WiFi worked great. Bath and shower clean… again no frills. Will stay here again.

Awesome Park

This is the best lake in Nebraska for camping! They are tent sites right by the lake. The bathrooms are pretty clean. There’s a huge no-wake area of the lake for kayaking and paddle boarding. They also offer boat rentals.

Nice lake for quiet getaway

This lake has a nice beach and play area, electric hookups, picnic tables, burn pits, and boat ramp and dock. The fishing looks to be good and we heard people hunting birds in the area also.

Very affordable at $10 a night RV sites, but there are some very secluded primitive spots right on the lake.

Good primitive camping by a nice lake

Wagon Train has some good primitive sites, a nice Beach, good fishing, and plenty to explore. Fishing is great and includes bluegill, channel catfish, crappie, freshwater drum, largemouth bass, muskellunge, redear sunfish, walleye and wiper which is about the largest variety you will find in a Nebraska lake.

A mile-long hiking and biking trail is also found in the park.

Nice lake south of Lincoln

Stagecoach is a very popular lake south of Lincoln. Vault and flush toilets. Power and primitive camping.

The lake contains crappie, largemouth bass, and walleye.

This is a smaller, quieter, and less expensive option to the larger lakes north of Lincoln,

Free overnight camping for Oak creek trail users

The village of Valparaiso allows camping at the city park at the trailhead to the Oak Creek trail. Camping is free and there are electric hookups and water at the park.

The village allows limited stay for free to those using the trail.

the park has charcoal pits and is close to the library where you can access wifi even after the library is closed.

Two convenient stores are close.

Primitive camping off highway 50

Worth Brothers Rec Area is located west off Highway 50 on 733 road on gravel. It is a primitive camping area - no hook ups. It has a few fire rings, and raised grills. There are picnic table and a covered group picnic shelter. There is drinking water, bathrooms, playground, archery, and a swimming beach. $5 a day or $15 for annual permit.