Cozad, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Cozad Camping Reviews
Medicine Creek

Well maintained park with excellent facilities! The cabins offered through the game and parks are very tidy and are stocked with cooking utensils.

Boat Ramp

Good boat ramp with a nice parking lot as long as it hasn’t rained heavy

Main Campground

Large well kept kept campground! Very easy to get in and out off and all facilities are top notch!

Inlet

Clean and well kept campground! Great bank fishing very nice boat ramp right next to one of the most productive fishing spots on the lake!

Mom w/toddler

Awesome stop! Loved the trees, lake, and hospitality. Big site didn’t have to unhook which is nice for mom traveling with toddler. Safe environment and great fellow campers. Be prepared with food and don’t forget fishing/swimming gear!

Nice quiet spot in the middle of Nebraska.

Bathrooms nice and clean. Nice pool. Campsites are large and very clean. The campground is outside of town so it’s very peaceful, especially at night

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak At Jeffrey Canyon State Park

Campground Review:

Traveling through Nebraska there are several areas you might be interested in exploring, amongst those Jeffrey Canyon State Wildlife Area, a primitive site with a rich history and a unique location.

As you travel down the road to Jeffrey Canyon the corn fields abound and thrive, the terrain begins to climb then you sharply turn to access the area.    The area is clearly marked, but the areas which you are allowed to camp are not.   As a part of the hydroelectric power area there are many unique features including a large lake with plenty of land around it.   The problem lays in that there are no maps delegating areas which are able to be camped on.    One area beyond the park is privately owned and marked for no entry, but the historic looking outbuildings, while interesting are not marked by any specific markers.

It was not until I left the property that I knew what exactly I had been looking at while there.  The historic buildings are gems to say the least but without marking or description they are mere photographable relics.    It was a bit sad to visit and have little to no knowledge of what was abounding.

The reservoir itself is a fishermen's haven with many coming to the area to fish and enjoy sport.  While visiting I noticed many navigating the lake on various sized boats.

As for camping this is where there was more than a little confusion.    The steep uneven terrain just beyond the road/dam was open for primitive camping, however it would be a bit awkward to access for many vehicles.    With road wash and loose gravel it was not  ideal and I could honestly say I was a little worried about driving down toward the camping area which was not much more than a slurry pit area.

It was very sad to see that such an area with great promise was not better equipped for those coming to the area to appreciate it.   There were no services, which was somewhat expected but the potential of the site and how well manicured the outbuildings were and the vast difference in the actual camping area allocated was very disconnected.

When approaching town I asked someone and they said many use the woods, however this is hike in only and very limited parking along the major roadway are used for this.   I personally would not recommend this.

The grounds were beautiful and deserving of a much higher rating but the camping itself was limited and deemed the lower rating.   Perhaps visit for fishing or just a good stop in Nebraska but steer toward one of the other locations within 30 miles of this location for actual camping.

Product Review:

I was very excited when I was asked to review some of the items from Banner & Oak on this trip and found that the variety and styles of hats offered was so vast.    I selected the "Freedom To Explore" hat which was very fitting for the adventures I take on while traveling.   I consider myself to be a nomad at heart and go wherever the wind blows me so the theme of this hat was a mirror of myself.

The hat is a snapback with a unique feel to the material used.   The black and grey fabric is a great suit for most looks as it is muted and can appeal to many.   The customizable size is perfect for someone like myself because my head is a bit smaller so this allows me to really fit the hat and keep it secure even in a windy day like the one I visited this location.

The quality of the Banner & Oak brand is very high and I love that the hat is not only versatile but durable.

I personally prefer hats during summer for sun protection wince I have such short hair and this hat did not disappoint at all in this regard!   I would easily give this hat by Banner & Oak a 5 star rating.   It was just ashamed that the hat completely outshined the location!

Great stopover on a journey

I wouldn't use this campground as a destination, but it is a great stopover location on a roadtrip. We stopped here on the way to South Dakota.

There is a zoo-ish feel with various animals in cages that you can feed around the lake. A large playground for the kids as well as a community pool and tennis courts. It looks like someone put a campground in a city park honestly.

But the sites are large enough for a tent or RV and it is right on the Platte so it would be perfect for boaters on a stopover too. Only $5 per site makes a great cheap stop.

Quiet and Peaceful, Great Camp Hosts!

The park is a quick hop off I80! Quiet, scenic and spacious! Camp Hosts are SUPER HELPFUL & kind! The shower/bathhouse is older but well kept. $25 for RV parking and showers are free! I would stay here again & I would recommend this park for families/hikers/nature lovers.

This is now called Wooden Castle

Wooden Castle is right off the highway. The sites are Electric/water and are located behind the motel. The are run down RVs that look like they h just been left there and others look like they live there. To be perfectly honest it was unappealing, I saw signs from the management/owners that were inappropriate and would not stay there.

Small in town RV park

Located in Broken Bow 2 blocks from the highway by the city park and is a small but nice RV Park. It is clean and well kept. All sites are full hook ups with a few on concrete but most on gravel. Most sites are pull thru. Not every site has a picnic bench, they are scattered around. This is a fairly new park, has 15 spaces and has no shade. Daily fee is $20.

Great little retreat

Very nice park just off I-80. There's a nice little lake that you can swim and fish (catch and release only), or rent a kayak or little boat. Full hookups available, with many pull through spots as well. Each spot has a fire pit and picnic table. In the middle of the grounds is a children's playground and 2 small fenced dog runs. Nice bathroom and shower facilities, and a nice store for many of your needs. And if you need more, there's 2 truck stops (travel plazas) across the interstate. Maybe the only drawback would be interstate noise. I highly recommend.

Awesome amenities

We were nestled between the lake, the playground and the dog off-leash area. Our girls were able to go back and forth independently, as we could see them from our campsite. We’ll definitely be back!

Lakeside campground off I-80

Nestled off I-80 in Nebraska off the 179 exit to North Platte you will find a decent campground. This campground has 89 Rv sites along with multiple tent sites which have little yellow fish signs to mark them. The Rv sites are gravel, level, have picnic benches and a fire ring. There is a small fishing/swimming lake that is catch and release only. Some fish you might catch are Crappie, Bass, Catfish, Walleye and others. They have a neat incentive where if you catch a tagged fish you win a boat rental. The boat rentals available are kayaks,paddle oats, and rowboats for rent at reasonable prices at the office. There is also a small 2 unenclosed dog walk, a playground, and a walking trail. Also available are horse shoes and volleyball. The restrooms are fairly clean. The showers in the women’s are being redone and are looking nice. There is a laundry facility on site. The office/store has camping essentials and firewood for purchase. The owners took possession and reopened in May of 2016. This campground is in short walking distance from the platte River-across the street. All and all it is a convenient and decent place to stop along I-80 as you are traveling.

Lovely park on the river but no hookups

Really pretty park on the North Platte River, right out side of town.  Spacious sites, large enough for our 40' motorhome with some trees for shade.  No hook-ups but there is a rest room which we didn't use.  May get busy on the weekends but we were there on a Monday and just a few sites were being used.  Quite the deal for $5/night.

Quaint

Great place to bring kids! We have driven through North Platte several times and had always wanted to camp here. We finally got the chance. There are several camping sites for $5 no hookups there is a sewage dump station. There are several animals in cages around including peacocks, lamas, donkeys, Buffalo, dear and elk. It’s fun to walk around and look at the animals. There are also several day use areas, and a couple of play grounds. Also in the Cody park area is a small amusement park perfect for kids 2ish-8ish. Our 4 kids in that age range all loved it. The rides were affordable and fun for the youngins.

Nice and quit

Nice spot and water access. Great showers and fire pits. Small and private.

Right off Interstate 80

Quiet RV spot with a diner right near for good breakfast.  Seems like many tenants were long term.  Nice people that run the campground.  Stayed only one night as we were passing through.

Small lake off Interstate

We have stayed at this campground twice when we are traveling through. They do have boat rentals, kayaks, playground, small dog park, and a small store with few items. Overall nice- gravel pull through sites - maintained overall pretty good. Smaller sites. I might give it 3.5 stars but having the lake with rentals and a small store on site was nice— so 4 stars. Would recommend.

Arrive Early

My husband and I did a long anniversary weekend here to enjoy the beautiful weather. We stayed here early October of 2016! Like I said in the title, if possible arrive early on the weekend or even a little earlier during the week to get the best spot in the area. We were lucky enough to get this spot and it must be a hot commodity because we had no less than 10 different people drove past to see if the spot was open. As you can see from the pictures, the spot is just a short walk from the small sand pit lake. Makes it ideal for early morning fishing and a quick kayak launch site. If you love fishing and floating around beautiful lakes, this is the spot for you. There is no modern amenities so you will have to rough it for a few days, which we don’t mind at all. Early October was a perfect time to go, the trees were still changing colors and the smell of fresh fall air was everywhere!

We revisit every time we drive through

Lake Maloney is on a big lake in North Platte, NE. We have stayed two or three times. Our first time staying put us in a bit of a pickle. We stayed the night at the campground and packed up to head out on our last leg of our trip only to find our truck was broken. We found a great shop only about 6 miles from the park and they let us use a car of theirs for the three days it took them to fix our truck.

The campground was very inexpensive, even for out of staters. It was $5 for the day and $8 for the overnight. This worked well for us. We were traveling cross country and being the last leg, we were nearing broke. The campground wasn't overly tidy. We also didn't see a camp host, at least one never checked on us to ensure we had paid and did what we were supposed to.

When you come in you can take the loop to the right, which is what we did to tent sites. It's all pretty much open and you pitch your tent where you please. If you want a picnic table and firepit, you have to be a bit more selective. If you were to go straight at entry, it loops around to the left where mostly RVers camp. Straight ahead is also the lake, it's a big lake and people get on it early when it's hot out. Everything to the left is a bit more modernized, flush toilets, pay showers, more developed. To the right there are old playground equipment (really old) and pit toilets, big grassy field and open space. There are a few shade trees to the right, more to the left.

Not all firepits have a cooking grate so you may want an alternative if this is how you cook. We use a camp tripod for cooking most frequently and did on this trip. Adding three days on to the end of our trip meant our food needed to be eaten as it was reaching the end of it's life. So we cooked it all up the last night we were there.

Our second trip over we utilized freeze dried food for travel to aid in keeping our food from spoiling. It worked well for us and we just made sure to find a picnic table to camp near. The weather did get really nasty this trip and with the lake, open fields and few trees, the lightening was pretty scary and we retreated to our truck to ride it out in the middle of the night. The sunsets are really nice over the lake.

This is a good spot to stop and we enjoyed our stay even though the length was not planned. It is for sure our go to when traveling east from Denver.

Great little spot!

Decent camping spots, with lots of lakeshore for fishing and kayaking.

Clear water

Close to I80. Beautiful clear waters. No electricity. Swimming area.

Clean Showers, nice setup

This large city park on the edge of town has a variety of great sites. Easy for large RVs that I saw to pull through. The park itself is nice enough and has a river running through it. The showers are old but clean. There are lots of things to do in town and out. ASn old pony express depot has been restored and is a visitor's center.

Remote with a few camping spots

This campground was hard to find, even with GPS. Finally a local came by to show us where it was. When we drove in there was a boat ramp, 1 tent site with a picnic table and fire ring, and 1 spot for an RV to park with no hookups. I was told there were other spots for tents on the other side of the lake that you could get to by hiking. The area needed to be mowed but wow the views from the tent site were gourgous. There were other trails, hunting, and fishing. Up the road were beautiful views of the dam and area. If we would have had our generator, we would have stayed the night.

Best place in Nebraska

GREAT campground!! The people who own and run this place are just superb people! Genuinely nice and willing to help! The facilities are excellent and the lake is awesome! The store is stocked with about anything you could need and the prices are great! Highly recommended!!

Well wooded with nice amenities.

Nice to have a site that has plenty of shade. Nebraska SRAs are great and this is in my top 10.

A very nice and peaceful campground. Just need to update bathrooms

very relaxing, near the water, friendly people. Needs more bathrooms is all it needs

Eh

Area around SRA is great. Fireflies every night, nice bathrooms, and fishing wasn’t bad. However, the sites are WAY too close together. Don’t know if we just showed up at the wrong time, but seems like “quiet hours” aren’t enforced. If you’re in need of a stopover, stay here but if you want more of a camping experience, look elsewhere. Booked a reservation for the weekend (3 nights) and left a day early.