Chappell, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Chappell Camping Reviews
New Campground at Sidney Ne

Tired of driving-take a break here. We stumbled across this campground when returning from Colorado and needing a place to stay over. It is self register at night and the sites are level, on gravel, and clean. There is a picnic table and a fire grill at each site. There are about 30 Rv sites and some tent sites. It will be a few years until the trees grow large enough to give shade.

Neat place to sleepover

Sleepy Sunflower RV Park is a neat place to stop over. Although it is right next to the interstate which is noisy, it has a cute western feel. It has a little area they call the town square wtt a wagon and carriage. It has tables with umbrellas, an area to BBQ, fire pit and outdoor kitchen. There is a office/market, free WiFi, playground, and a small pet run. The 28 RV sites are on rock, with full hook-ups, picnic table and some have fire pits. The 8 tent areas have grass with sand area for the tent to sit on, there are also 2 Tee-pees to rent. The bathrooms are extremely clean, as is the campground in whole. We did not have a reservation and showed up after hours hoping we could get in. It was nice that there was a place to check in and pay after hours. The office and campground was decorated nicely and owners (DuPeire family)live on site. There is a book and puzzle exchange, recycle bins and access codes for security.

Great location

Found a very secluded place right in the lake. Close to town if you need anything. The lake is huge and makes for a great place to paddle board. We had such a good time and experienced great help from the park rangers.

Convenience off of highway

This is a very convenient place to stop while road tripping east west across Colorado off of the I-76 Highway. Looks a lot like most of the campsites are for RVs and most of those places are occupied during the summer. There wasn't much available in terms of tent sites, nor does this place really cater to the tent camper. Tent sites I did see were not very level were very small. They did have a picnic table and maybe a barbecue pit but they were pretty unkempt and no fire pits at sites I saw. It is pretty great that they have a pool and hot tub on site, but it has not been maintained and was closed for what looks like a while because I saw a lit of debris build up in the hot tub. Their bathrooms are open and available, and are an upgrade from a porta potty, but they are nothing special. There is a dump station with non-potable water available and also sites that were full electric hookups. Even though I tend to sleep in my roof top camper, I usually can book tent sites with that arrangement. This place was very cheap and allowed me to do so, but next time I need to road trip I'll look for a site with a few more working and available accommodations like a fire pit.

Fairground rv Park

The RV park is part of the fairground so activities can be busy. The layout is poorly designed but as long as the aren't busy you can occupy as much area as you want  but if they were busy you would not have room for you slide outs. they do have plans to expand and allow for more room. Rates for FHU is 25 for first day and 15 q day after that.

Beautiful Lake

Great Lake! The camping is okay. There’s not a lot of trees, so you’re just kinda out in the open. The showers/bathrooms were really clean.

Beautiful Vistas, Sandy Beaches, Starlit Nights, Absolutely Marvelous

We loved this camping area and have been dreaming of returning.

The view was spectacular from the tent site, but there are plenty of full hookup sites available.

Though most lakes in Nebraska are man-made and muddy, this manmade lake is in the sandhills so it is all beach and clear water. The showers are free and there are plenty of hydrants for non-hookup sites.

There is good trout fishing here and excellent bird watching. We saw the Long-billed Curlew, Burrowing Owl, and several other birds checked off our bucket list.

The towns of both Ogallala and Lewellen both had plenty to see.

The camp host was exceptional and helpful beyond what is typically expected.

Hidden gem

I stopped at this campsite on a cross country road trip from NY to NV, as I didn’t know anyone who resided in the great state of Nebraska. Talk about a total hidden gem!! This campground is one of the most beautiful, quiet and serene campgrounds I have ever been to. There are lots of sites right along the water and perfect for fishing!! Absolutely some gorgeous views here.

Nice and Quiet

stayed overnight on a Tuesday while traveling to MN. sites are great! They have sheltered picnic tables and nice fire pit. Electric only, but water available to fill your holding tank and a dump station. Not many others were camped here, and most seemed to be just staying the night. Lots of birds in this area for anyone who loves bird watching. And, I captured a pic of 2 bucks making their way through the tall grass as I was heading out! I'll stay here again!!

Very pretty

Really nice little lake for kayaking and fishing. There was some people swiming in the lake but it was too cold to go in there. Watch out for biting flies.

Great spot for when the west side of the state is in Fire Ban!

we stayed for two nights and really had a great time. soft ground made it an easy set up for camp. Nice and quiet during the evening and a great spot for paddleboarding too!

Quiet camping next to a fishing lake.

Clean restrooms with showers. Well wooded and below the dam so there is not much wind.

Nice campground..close to the beach

We camped here in Mid-July 2018. We were originally going to camp on the beach, closer to the dam and I'm happy we didn't. These were nice sized sites and we had a great spot a few steps from the beginning of the beach. Camp host was very personable. Bathroom could be a little cleaner but not the worst one I've ever seen.

Fishing area

Lake Ogallala Trail is a 9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ogallala, primarily used for hiking. The lake itself is pretty small (large pond) especially compared to its neighbor Lake McConoughey

The camping area was a little on the primitive side. Morning catfishing right off the banks is excellent!

Quiet, Fun and close to home

It’s a wildlife refuge so it’s a little different to stay than say North Sterling Reservoir. For now anyways…

This is the perfect place to go to stay close to our home and not a long road home. You are able to schedule time with friends and head down and save your camping spot a day or two in advance.

Pets and fires are allowed. Just keep them on a chain and put them out!

They recently restricted up by the water camping which is awesome for parties that have lots of kids! They aren’t running into traffic unknowingly!

There is practically no beach but if you know that going into it, it’s fine!! You pick your passions!!

Great find in the middle of nowhere

This campground has a lot of great spots with a view of the lake. However if you have a boat and camper get a pull thru spot. Btw a ranger found a bull snake. That was huge. Non poisonous. But surprise. Ha ha

Great area with wonderful siteseeing

Lake Ogallala and it’s campground was beautiful! Plenty of fishing, great area for walking, and you can hop right over to lake McConaughy for even more water action, restaurants and beautiful seeneri! The camp sites of most of the campground we small and very close together though.

Less crowded than lake McConaughy

there are two campgrounds, one on the east and one on the west sides of the lake. The east side has electrical and water hookups the west doesn’t. We stayed on the west side toward the south end in a unnumbered site. There are Porta Potty’s fairly close to all sites but water is a little more sparse. The west side is next to Kingsley Dam and is less populated but there is road noise during the day. The west side is non reservable. This lake is quieter than McConaughy but is only a couple minutes drive away. McConaughy is loaded with activities.

Open spots

Find a spot set up Camp that’s it. No real sights there. You are on the east side/backside of the damn. Sun sets a little earlier. Lol. Fishing. Bird watching. And you are rights at the foot of Mebraskas largest lake. Where boating fishing and beach’s are abundant.

Sterling State Park - Northeastern Colorado

We were here in mid April and there was one other RV there. The campground allows views in all directions, that seem to go on for a hundred miles. Located in northeast Colorado, it is a nice “stop-off” for the road-weary traveller. Water, showers, flush toilets and power hook-ups are provided.

Fun weekend getaway location

Stayed at this campground a few weekends during college as a getaway. College was in northern Colorado and it was very conveniently located for a quick weekend getaway, not to mention it felt good to lake the big lake access again, as I miss that living in Colorado! Great camping and beaches. Campground was "ye same old campground" so I recommend it knowing you shouldn't be disappointed with the amenities, but it was such a fun couple weekends for me that I can't recommend visiting enough.

Awesome Beach Camping

Heads up - 4WD or AWD vehicles necessary. I had my first opportunity to drive my car onto a beach, and it was the coolest experience. What's also a cool experience? Car camping on a beach! Although the campground shows on a specific part of the map, our experience would be similar to anyone camping along the beach of huge Lake McConaughy. The way it works here is there's a main entrance to the State Recreation Area, then you choose between a few designated campgrounds. One would simply access the beach from different points along the road, probably at each designated campground. We found access to this gem by the Little Thunder campground, via a 4WD beach access road. Campfires, fire ban permitted, are allowed. You'll want to bring your own wood, but there's kindling. Visibility here for star gazing is supreme. For the lake's size, there's accommodation for a lot. That said, there can be a lot of people on a a nice weather weekend. That's not as much a privacy concern since it's easy to give each campsite plenty of space, but at night if there's people with their boats out on the water partying or chatting, the sound will carry so bring some ear plugs for the night. Great place for regular beach stuff. I also saw a lot of water sports being enjoyed, from paddle boarding to water skiing. A cool thing one family did was they had used the main entrance to the state park area to load their boat into the water and had driven the boat and anchored it close by their beach side campsite. Well done Nebraska.

Ranger Review: Xero Umara Z-Trail Sport Sandal at Little Thunder Campground

Campground Review: A great place for beach goers and those that want to take advantage of the huuuge Lake McConaughy for boating and fishing, as most campers have something with them for their aquatic adventures. There's boat load ramps. The campgrounds are large too. 4 stars since ground plots for primitive camping didnt offer much cover. Primitive and electrical hook ups available. There's a combination restroom and shower facility and half of their 42 sites are reservable. There's also a basic jungle gym for kids in the center of the grounds. Within the State Rec Area, this is a good site for access to the lake and if you need the electrical hook ups, and probably the best bet for anyone with kids so bathrooms are close by. Of course, you are steps from beach, so if that's your thing you'd be well served here.

Gear Review: The Xero Umara Z-Trail Sport is designed to be a lightweight performance sandal and I wholeheartedly agree. As a Dyrt Ranger, I get products to test and review in the field, and I've had these on my feet for about 3 weeks now. They're so light you'll forget you're wearing them, and the comfort is hard to ignore. I've done everything in them from hikes in the Rocky Mountains to cruising the urban concrete. Performance: The tread has serious grip. Doing descents on mountain trails in these wont keep your feet from getting dirty, but it will keep them on the ground and not above your head because you slipped. The thin sole allows for you to massage your feet on curved rocks too, so yeah - Bonus. These aren't my first choice running shoes, but barefoot-style runners have totally found their holy grail. I ran along the beach with them in the morning and it was awesome because it felt like I was running on the sand but I knew I was getting better support at the same time.
Fit: I highly recommend using the size guide online. If you're going to be really active (runners and hikers), your feet will swell slightly so give yourself some room to play with. The straps against my skin were great (probably because they use a process where there's no edge seams rubbing against you), easy to adjust, and there's a flexible loop to put any excess strap through so you're not tripping over yourself. Clever design too because your foot sits in a slight footbed well, rather than on top of a total flat piece of material, so your foot is well 'cushioned'. Verdict: Great sandal for around camp and on the trails. I've hesitated about taking a second pair of shoes for use around campgrounds because of the weight it would add to my pack, but not only are these roll-able so it makes packing easy (or lash them to your pack with a caribiner) but now, my second-pair shoes are so light, why wouldn't I? The grip means foraging for firewood or exploring around camp are no concern. My belongings seem to be just as accident prone as myself, and so far they're up to the task. The value with the Xero Umara Z-trail Sport is totally there. Check out the sandals here. Men's and Women's sizes available. https://xeroshoes.com/shop/ready-to-wear-barefoot-sandals/ztrail-men/

fun people watching

This beach was tons of fun not only to go swimming in, but there was also great fishing, as well as camping near the lake. The people watching was also great, because there were many kite surfers, which i rarely see anywhere else. such a great place to both camp, or simply just day trip.