Atkinson, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Atkinson Camping Reviews
Small Quiet Clean Campgrounds

Wow, if you want peace and quiet, here you go. This campground has a brand new shower/toilet house. There is a playground located in the middle of the Campgrounds for children. Sites were borderline small to normal size. Camp locations in the middle of grounds have no shade. There is a boat access road runs next to grounds and seems to be busy most days. No water or dump hook ups at sites. They have 50 amp - 30 amp - 110 power provided at each site. Handicap site available next to bath house.

Homestead Knolls

Beautiful campground! Nice boat ramp but can be tricky to load if windy. Book in advance as this site is very popular and always full!

Calamis Lodge

Nice campground close to the lake and right next to the golf course!

Clean, peaceful, pretty

Spent a night here by the water and experienced a beautiful sunset. Its a perfect place to camp for a night or kayak for an afternoon. Got lucky enough to have the entire place to myself. Really relaxed place. Perfect for tent camping and a water view.

Lake Francis Case and North Point Recreation Area

We found this place to be quiet and peaceful. It has been dealing this year with high water and water damage to campsites and trails but the facilities are nice. The staff was helpful and courteous and we enjoyed our stay (4 days and 3 nights). We pleasure boated but fishing is a big deal here and the area is not commercialized. The water was mostly calm and warm. The boat docks were in good shape and easy to access. There are bike/walking trails but not very long. Pickstown SD is right next door and offers limited commercial establishments because it is 225 population. Nice beaches here but some were impacted by high water. The Fort Randall Hotel and Casino is close by for some food and entertainment.

Nuda sholls

Nuda sholls campground at calamus state recreation area is a nice little spot to setup for a few days and enjoy the 4,500 acre calamus reservoir. There are roughly 30 sites in this particular area. Half are first come first serve and the other half are by reservation. All sites are electrical only. There is a nice modern shower and bath facility to utilize if you want to conserve your fresh water tank. Toilets are free and it only costs $1.25 for a 7 minute hot shower. My family and I have created many memories here and hope to make many more

Beautiful But Without Water in the Off Season

Electric sites by the highway near the park entrance, but don't overlook the 4 RV sites by the fishing pond. Cabins, primitive camping, hiking, and lovely scenery.

Campsite #43 is the only site with what I would call a view, but the view from there is excellent. The hiking was great. The area is pretty cool with Native American exhibits, the casino, and Lewis and Clark Lake nearby.

Though we loved the scenery and wanted to stay, the park had shut off all the water. We expected the $15 off-season price since there were no longer horse rides, pool or other activities but there were no showers or restrooms in the RV site. No water to wash dishes in!

The regular season is $20 a night but they are discussing raising that. Don't bother with the off-season.

Also, see my reviews of Crofton and Verdigre. Camping there is not as nice but they are close and more affordable.

Beautiful area to explore

This campground features cabins and tent camping. Designed for families, there is a playground and lots of open space for the kids to run around. Pets are welcome. There is a small pond stocked for fishing right in the middle of the tent camping area. Take a short hike to see where the Niobrara river dumps into the Missouri and take in some of the best views in Nebraska. In the winter months, hunters often use the cabins as home base and hunt in the surrounding woods.

Nowhere with a river

Not to be mistaken as Fort Niobrara, Niobrara State Park , NE is near Niobrara and Verdel, NE. The popular Niobrara River runs along the far side of the park and one of the attractions is the old train bridge which is now part of the converted trail that you can explore.

When we arrived the 80 degree temperatures from Kentucky did not arrive with us. The weather was windy, sprinkling and dropping with the sun. The night time low was about 43 degrees. I learned on another trip to pack all temperature range clothing especially this time of year, so I had my sniffle gear. We were one of three occupied sites in the campground. The other two sites had RV’s , I decided on truck camping and was glad I did.

The actual campground is spacious and had some trees. The showerhouse was well maintained and something new to me had pay showers. I hadn’t packed any quarters but have now added another helpful tidbit to my list of must haves while camping. (Roll of quarters, check) I attempted to leave my windows open after throwing a tarp over the truck but even though the temperature was low the mosquitoes were FIERCE! I don’t even want to know how bad they are in warm weather. So with the truck closed up we snuggled in for the night. I was a little surprised when I was woken by my dogs barking at coyotes that could be heard very nearby. Considering how sparsely populated the area is it shouldn’t have been that surprising, you really feel like your out in the middle of nowhere. Just shows how Northern I am ;) I was disappointed it was overcast , the sky would have been phenomenal with no lights to ruin the view.

This Park is laid out in a “horseshoe” and speed restrictions make it a long drive from end to end. The visitors center has some helpful employees that were very informative. Not surprisingly the river is the big draw in the area. The Ranger I spoke to said that there was a reinactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition due in that weekend. I was directed to the trailhead further in past the several cabins sitting in opportune locations along the road. The trail was moderately technical and you get to walk across the Niobrara on an old train bridge converted to a walkway. Unfortunately the far side was closed. There is also a horse trail ride offered (which would have been interesting with the boys).

The one con of the campground is that though you have an excellent view of the Niobrara River there is no easy access to it from the sites. Definitely a destination campground if you enjoy the river sports.

Look for it

Pease Creek Recreation Area is off the Missouri River out in the middle of nowhere but if you are a water/fishing person it is worth the drive for a quiet, laid back vacation.

South Dakota has some long straight roads and the GPS worked most of the time as well as cell phone signal. It would on occasion drop off so make sure you have your trusty map. The signage in was good and don’t be surprised when you hit gravel roads, just slow down ;)

The campground was pretty quiet and mostly deserted when we overnighted. It was dark, quiet and plenty of sites to choose from. Basic hook up, plenty of space to set up in, more of an RV geared campground. The area was well maintained but facilities could use an update/good cleaning.

Right outside the area is a privately owned campground that looked like it was expanding so that will add to the boatramp traffic and noise. It was more of a permanent RV area but may have short term rentals.

There was hiking to be had and horses were allowed but it’s definitely a water recreation area. Due to the weather , 40’s when we visited and raining we did not get to enjoy the water like I had wanted. Town is not nearby so fuel up and stock up before driving out!

Camp by a white sand beach in Nebraska

Homestead Knolls is a small campground near a small, beautiful white sand beach with gradual increase in depth, perfect for swimming with family. Boat ramp is nearby. You can find all essentials at a nearby gas station.

Scenic Seclusion

Beautiful views of the Missouri and Niobrara atop hervily wooded hills. Tent sites are either along the paved 1 way road or farther back in the trees of the hills via a short trail. Vault toilets are plentiful as well as water spigots. Has several nice trails and points of interest. Was very clean theoughout and well cared for. Also offers cabins and an RV campground.

Awesome

Stayed at campsite through Sharps Outfitters and kayaked as well. Awesome trip very pretty!!

City park next to rodeo.

City Park. Very clean and sites are level. Clean showers and restroom. Stay up to 3 days without checking in to the city offices. Donation but they do charge $10 per nite if the stay is over 3 days. Train is close and goes by often.

Newly added fpadsor rving with gravel

Being new not much for trees. It was nice to have clean showers close to the camp site.

Beautiful scenery, plenty of activities and history!

We stayed in our camper on the RV campground. I like that the RV's are not so close together! It qlwas quiet, scenic, lots of things to do. People genuinely seem to enjoy themselves. Lots of animal sightings, birds, and wild flowers, etc. You can get a real feel for the country out here. The ONLY drawback is needing quarters for a shower….but they do have a change machine.

Very nice to go camping. Gone there many a time

A lot of campsite. Can rent boats and jet skies. Multiple convenient stores. About five miles from nearest town. Nice swimming and fishing spots. Love going there.

good

a great place for get togethers

fun

such a pretty spot!

great

a nice little park

nice

a good place for gatherings

cute little cabins!

stayed here after our wedding reception, and good place to get away with everything you could need provided!

fun!

a great place to swim and get together

great

a good place to get outside and enjoy decent weather

Pretty!

a fun place to relax in a cute little town, faaar from cell reception!

tiny and cute!

Such a gorgeous little area. Liked it so much we got married in Long Pine!

Love it!

Secluded with lots of shade, a fun place to get away! Far from town, so bring everything you need!

beautiful and scenic

must go back! so much history in the fort part of the park, swell kept campsites down river and lots of hiking!

Valley View 👍🏻

FCFS, no reservations needed. About 10 electric sites, plenty of tent and/or primitive sites. Boat dock, shower house, clean restrooms. Usually pretty peaceful. Quite a bit of shade also. Fire rings at each spot. We have a 38’ 5th wheel and have no problem parking that and a boat and tow vehicle in our area.

Wonderful Experience

We had such a great stay at the Nunda Shoal Campground. It's situated directly next to the Calamus Reservoir, and there is at least one path that leads right to the sandy beach. It's technically for RVs, but we ended up staying there because the nearby tent campground was completely vacant, and we'd rather stay in a more populated area. There are several coin-operated showers that work pretty well. The camp hosts that were present when we were there were incedibly kind, and we really enjoyed chatting with them.