Valier, MONTANA

Most Recent Valier Camping Reviews
A decent place to stop over on your trip to or return from Canada

My wife and I stopped at Lake Shel-Oole Campground on our trip to Canada this summer (July 3rd). The campground is a bit dilapidated, but had several spots available that were easy to pull into. Some sites were pull through and others were back in. Most sites have at least electric and some are water/electric. Some sites are also 50amp. There is also a dump on site.

All sites are $25/night. Payment is on an honor system and drop cash into an envelope in a box near the entrance. The park says that it is under surveillance, but we did not see cameras. We saw one Toole County Sheriff's Deputy drive through the park while we were there.

I think we counted a total of five other rigs staying the night with us. If you have kids there's a playground nearby and a baseball field. There are also several walking trails.

We would definitely stay here again if we take the same route to Canada. Very convenient and quiet!

Check out our review of this campground on our blog: https://lower48intow.com/lake-shel-oole-park-campground-an-overnight-stay-on-the-way-to-canada/

Quiet

Stayed 3 nights on site #8. The site was half shady and half sunny. Large site that we could easily maneuver our 20' camper with room to spare. Notice a nest of young robins getting ready to take their first flight at our site. It is a quiet campground, back from the road with hiking trails around the area.

Nice Family Run Campground

This is a former KOA campground that was purchased by a family. We stayed her in the summer of 2018 during a very hot spell. We didn't have reservations and fit onto a site (#22) with a nice view of the distant mountains. Restrooms were always clean, even very early in the morning. We stayed two times. The second time we again didn't have reservations and they were expecting a large influx of families for a baseball tournament. They put us in the large RV area and we were grateful for accommodation. They have a small mini-golf area, picnic tables at the sites, and full hookups (as expected). They also have laundry facilities.

Knowledgeable owner saved my Bacon

The owners are wonderful people. He is a wealth of knowledge and willing to share.

Listen to him. He saved us from taking things to Canada that we shouldn't take but

were going to. The border patrol WILL search your motor home. They know all the

hiding places. We got searched for over an hour. Luckily, I listened and took his advice.

We will always stay at Lewis and Clark when in MT. We had a wonderful trip to Alaska

via Canada. It could have turned out much different had we not stopped in Shelby at

Lewis and Clark RV Park before crossing the border, and listened to this wonderful mans advice.

He saved me from fines and maybe jail. I am forever grateful.

Perfect

Campground was clean and well organized. Get there early for a spot!

Lake access

Excellent camp host, right on the lake, nice little campground.

Boondocks

Decent campground, we only go here to fish. Plenty of spots, very reasonable priced. No hookups, right on the Maria’s river. We have never seen the camp host.

Decent little campground

The major down fall is no campfires. The camp host are excellent during the summer, the views are beautiful on the backside of the campground. Across the street is 2 city parks and city pool. This place is open year around.

Dirty and Pricey.

$25 for a tent site. Tents are thrown behind the main office directly in the beam of a security light that stays on all night. The picnic are covered in bird poop. They do have showers and they were clean and comfortable. Close to the highway so traffic noise slowed down around 10pm. Not our favorite stop but convenient when fling in or out of Glacier.

cheap, small, decent showers

Not my ideal camping setup - near town, rather noisy from nearby homes and street, and the sites are close together - but it worked well enough for a single overnight car camping stop while on a long road trip. It isn't busy, it's cheap, and the showers are decent so It's one of the better options available if you don't want to be surrounded by tourists heading to Glacier NP in nearby locations. It's close enough to East Glacier (photos) that I could spend most of the day in the park before finding a place to camp away from the busy areas and en route to my destinations to the east. Since I had to take off early the next morning on the next leg of my trip, it was convenient that I could stop in town for coffee and gas before hitting the road.