The best camping in
Louisiana

Camping Louisiana

Louisiana is known as Cajun country, where the land there was formed from sediment washed down by the Mississippi River, forming huge deltas and massive areas of coastal marsh and bayous with alligators and tree frogs and trees lined with spanish moss. Ibis and egrets fly through longleaf pine forests and wet savannas are filled with orchids, pitcher plants and sundews. Camping in Louisiana is an experience like no other. Whether it’s by RV, tent or just under the starlit sky, camping in Louisiana is an adventure unlike anywhere else in the United States.

But it’s not all wetlands and marshes. Enjoy the best of coastal camping in Louisiana’s beachside community of Grand Isle. Located where Highway 1 meets the Gulf of Mexico, it’s the closest Louisiana beach from Baton Rouge and New Orleans, making these destinations a convenient day trip while you’re camping.

Grand Isle is, in fact, an island and a town, with small, locally-owned shops and a state park just made for camping. With 63 sites available, Grand Isle State Park is a great place to camp on the beach and cook the seafood you just caught during July’s Grand Isle Tarpon Rodeo, an event that brings together the best saltwater fishermen in the world. Or, if you like bird watching, the Grand Isle Migratory Bird Festival offers plenty of opportunities to see a myriad of bird species return home from South America. Of course, there’s plenty of swimming, hiking, crabbing and boating in Grand Isle as well.

Another great place for camping in Louisiana is Tunica Hills, which belongs to the Bluff Hills portion of the Mississippi Valley Loess Plains and extends from the Natchez, Mississippi area to St. Francisville, Louisiana. Managed by the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, the Tunica Hills Wildlife Area is northwest of St. Francisville and covers more than 5,900 acres of rolling hills and scenic beauty.

Remember when I talked about the wetland and marshes? Tunica Hills isn’t anything like that; in fact, it’s unlike any other area in Louisiana. In Tunica Hills, you’ll find springs and waterfalls, rugged terrain, cliffs 90 feet high, deep gorges and lush, diverse plant life and animals you won’t find anywhere else in the state.

And while Tunica Hills is known for hunting, a variety of other activities offer campers plenty to do such as horseback riding, hiking, ATV riding and sightseeing. And if you’re a birding enthusiast, then you’ve hit the jackpot because rare birds such as the Coopers hawk and worm-eating warbler live within the thick forests there. It’s no wonder John James Audubon was inspired to paint his famous bird series there in the early 1800s.

Louisiana is full of other places to go camping. Don’t worry, we’ve got more recommendations. And while you’re camping in Louisiana, you might as well cook like you’re in Louisiana.

Let us know how your experience in Louisiana was by leaving a review of your campground on The Dyrt.

Recent Reviews in Louisiana
Great

Great trail. Very well marked and maintained. Some wet areas but not bad. Awesome primitive camping sites along trail.

Great Site

My boyfriend and I camped here in October and had a blast. We enjoyed that it was walk in but still had running water and hook ups.

Cool swampy place

I stayed on a solo trip overnight on the way to somewhere else, the loop of tent sites were all wet except one (wish I remembered sorry) it was super loud at night with swamp things. Rangers were super nice! Biked around a bit and went on all the walking trails, I’d suggest having shoes that can get trashed. It was quite muddy!

Cool place

Seems like a great place for summer with a splash pad and beach available. I’m sure the mosquitoes would be horrendous though. Great place to bike around. Beautiful oak trees, historical site, very helpful park rangers. I arrived late with my daughter and we thoroughly enjoyed our short overnight stay.

Fantastic experience

Great fishing with all the amenities. Family friendly, Louisiana hospitality.

Classic southern cypress setting

A taste of the swamps in north Louisiana. Spanish moss clad Bald Cypress trees in a stereotypical Louisiana lake. Two great boat ramps, cabins and picnic tables. Keep your small dogs on a leash or you may feed the gators. Mosquitoes big enough to land at Barksdale AFB.

Fantastic facilities

I camped on two occasions while in north LA on business. Bath houses are new, clean and climate controlled. Plenty of sites to choose from when I stayed though all of the waterfront sites were taken. Family friendly, not rowdy. I’d take young kids without hesitation if mine weren’t grown.

Good value

Very nice campground. Staff is always friendly. Good amenities. Very easy to park and a staff member always helps you park. Grocery store is about a mile away. Pool is open during summer and they added a covered playground for kids. I mean covered with a very large steel structure. The playground is covered with rubber mulch. We've been coming for years and we'll be back.

Good value

We stayed here this past weekend and really enjoyed our stay. The hiking trails are well maintained and easy to follow! We were able to kayak through a lot of water areas as well! The park rents canoes for people to use if you don’t have your own. We got to experience the Dutch Oven Society, which was GREAT!! If you are ever at a camp ground and they are around, you should check out their demonstration and sample all the great food they cook! The RV site was big enough for our bumper pull, but there was a large tree on the site that kept us from being able to put out the awning. Thankfully it was a nice weekend so it wasn’t missed. Also, the fire pit and picnic table was close to the road. We found it oddly placed. All the sites seemed to have tent pads and plenty of shade. Definitely bring some mosquito spray and citronella candles. The water everywhere brings them out! All in all, o would recommend this park! We had a great time and will go back!