Richmond , KANSAS

Most Recent Richmond Camping Reviews
Great little park

We stayed here for 2 weeks between houses and was great!

Quiet and Peaceful

Small private lake community. Access to several lakes for boating swimming and fishing. Also has a golf course and swimming pool. Come in the fall when the trees are beautiful.

Rude Ranger at Gate and dump station disgusting

The campsite was okay. It was a busy weekend and we were not in a preferred spot, but it was wooded. The ranger at the gate was horrid. He was rude, yelled at each person coming through. He was especially annoyed at me for wearing a mask. He wasn’t and was within 3 feet. Lawrence is a college town with high rates of covid across the campus. He is talking one on one with these kids several times a day! He seriously grabbed my phone out of my hand when I asked him not to. The dump station has pooling sewer water and the water was not working. The park lacks maintenance, and it could be cut backs due to covid. Clinton lake it nice, but beware if heading out for camping.

Awesome

Loved our weekend here at this campsite. Like another review said, there are no check in/check out process- check in times are late 5PM and check out is 6PM. Our site was spacious and not too close to our neighbors. It had a few trees perfect for our hammocks and provided ample shade. The firepit had an attached grill but it was too dirty for us to use. There was also a large hook to hang lanterns/garbage. You can find little playgrounds through the campsite. We did see A few rangers patrolling in the late evening.

The bathrooms were a short walk away and were not the cleanest I’ve seen but clean. Shower pressure varies with each stall and does have hot water. There is no hand soap in the restrooms but hand-dryers. dumpsters are a close walk by.

We drove to the loading dock to catch a sweet sunrise - also stopped by the beach but it was too dirty for our liking us to swim.

It was mostly family RV camping, but a quiet weekend overall. The only complaint I have is that there are lots of bugs/spiders. Overall, i would definitely come back again and hopefully snag a site by the waters.

Great for an overnight stop!

My husband and I pulled into this campground around 7 pm and didn’t have a reservation. The instructions at the self pay were confusing, as the directions made it sound like you needed a reservation but when we talked to the campground host she said we could just pay at the permit office in the morning. We stayed in Campground 1 in one of the primitive sites. There were many sites to choose from even through there were quite a few campers here during the middle of the week. It was a bit of a hike to the water but the bathrooms were clean and had single room toilets with showers. Beautiful area with lots of wildlife!

Large campground but bad signage

Stopped here on our way from East Tennessee to Yellowstone. The campground we stayed at was called Campground #3. Confusingly called Cornflower loop on the reservation website but never saw anything with that name at the campground. The maps on the kiosks are pretty worthless. No signs point the way so not a good way to start off having a hard time finding the site. No hosts anywhere to be found at 6:00 pm either.

Campsite was nice. Look at or near Site 411 for spacious, wooded, and more spread out campsites. Some are more out in a field setting. Side bonus: Site 411 has an enormous White Oak tree next to it!

Trail sites are awesome, all sites free!

Best campsite we’ve been to since moving to KS 7 years ago—wooded, private, spacious, feels very secluded (the sites along the trail, not up top). It was our first time hiking in to a site (lots of work with our regular gear for a family of four, but worth it!). We went mid-June, and there had apparently been some type of butterfly hatching. They were small-ish and quite aggressive (who knew!?), constantly swarming us. At one point there were seven perched on my husband’s back, and one landed in a pancake cooking on the grill (no surviving that). We still had fun, but we’ll go earlier or later next time. We also love hiking the trail through the woods and by the lake even when we aren’t camping—best trail I’ve been on in Lawrence.

Awesome (free!) sites & trail

Best campsite we’ve been to since moving to KS 7 years ago—wooded, private, spacious, feels very secluded. It our first time hiking in to a site (lots of work with our regular gear for a family of four, but worth it!). We went mid-June, and there had apparently been some type of butterfly hatching. They were small but quite aggressive (who knew!?), constantly swarming us. At one point there were seven perched on my husband’s back, and one landed in a pancake cooking on the grill (no surviving that). We still had fun, but we’ll go earlier or later next time. We also love hiking the trail through the woods and by the lake even when we aren’t camping—best trail I’ve been on in Lawrence.

Favorite camp ground

This is my little families favorite camp ground. We very rarely run into anyone else while camping on the trail. We have myself, husband, son, and dog. Every now and then there will be a rowdy group of guys out there to party but for the most part it’s pretty quiet. Only downside is I wish people would clean up better after themselves.

Big and dense

This campground has wonderful amenities - a big shower house, a nice playground, boat launch and lake access, and full RV hookups. Sites are very close together and there is little privacy for most sites, but not all! Sites along the edge are more likely to have more space and be a little more protected. It’s in a gorgeous area, some sites have fire pits and others have pits and charcoal grills for use. I would say it’s great for RV camping, but tent campers could choose their site wisely.