The best GROUP camping near
Luray , KANSAS

Most Recent Luray Camping Reviews
Quiet Beautiful Park With Lakeside Pull Thru Sites

Wilson State Park is truly a hidden gem. It is surrounded by miles of rolling farmland, so it is like an oasis when you see this beautiful lake as you enter the park. We stayed in Foxtail Loop in Site 61. It couldn't have been more perfect. We pulled-in at sunset and discovered that our site had a completely unobstructed view of the sunset over the lake. We stayed for two nights and couldn't have been happier with it. There are several hiking trails throughout the park to explore. We were surprised by the warm weather when we got there in early October 2020, it was 94 degrees! That said, we would absolutely go back and definitely recommend it.

Ranger Review: Camp Zero cooler at Wilson Lake in Kansas

Ranger Review: Camp Zero 10 liter cooler at Wilson Lake in Kansas Campground review-driving up to Wilson Lake you would never know you were in the middle of Kansas. There are rolling hills surrounding the lake. There is not clearly marked signs which made the area kind of confusing for us. There are so many loops with camping and 2 other parks in this same area. The lake itself is very large and lengthy. It’s beautiful-perfect for boating, fishing, or kayaking. There are not a lot of trees so the area can get pretty windy. Lots of sites face the water. Prices vary from 10-24 per night. There are also park permits and service fee you must pay. Sites range from primitive to full hook ups. Most have fire rings and picnic tables. There are plenty of trails for hiking and biking and swim beaches. The bathrooms are clean and there are showers,marinas,dump stations. Check in and out is at 2 pm. Make sure to check out the town of Lucas for all the fun art. Product Review: As a Ranger for the DRYT, I get products to test from time to time and I tested the 10 liter Camp Zero at Wilson Lake. What I love about the Camp Zero cooler is: 1: The light aluminum handle with gripping pad. Makes it easier to carry without losing grip 2: The rubber feet on the bottom makes it so it doesn’t slide around in the car or boat and get scratched or scratch up the car. 3: the molded cup holders on the top of the cooler that turns it into a much need table on the beach 4: The heavy duty rubber latches to keep the cooler latched. They are bear resistant 5: The awesome colors you can get them in I chose the bright green 10 liter cooler. The green is so fun and cheery and I know that I’ll be able to spot it where ever it is. This cooler really keeps the drinks cooler for extended periods of time. It is so heavy duty, and sturdy. The cooler is a little heavy once you put ice and drinks in it so I’ll just make my husband carry it. I’m excited to take this Camp Zero 10 liter cooler with me on all our adventures

Great Stopover or Spend a few days

We were traveling back to Oklahoma from South Dakota and needed a place to break up the drive. On the way up we just stopped in a Cracker Barrel parking lot. This time we wanted to enjoy a campground in the morning before pulling out on the last stretch of drive.

Lucas Park was perfect. We pulled in late. We were tired and didn’t want to do anything but sleep haha. We got on Recreation.gov and found us a spot. The spot was perfect. A pull thru that was half moon shape. We woke up to a nice view of the lake. The way they had placed the sites was in a way that most all of them had views of water.

There were play grounds for the kids. Really nice clean baths and the roads were pretty easy to push a wheelchair over.

Definitely will use this as a stopover again when going through Kansas

Switchgrass/Grama campgrounds

Switchgrass and Grama campgrounds are in the same area. Switchgrass is a primitive area with picnic tables and fire rings. You can drive up to these sites and there are some really nice ones next to the water. There is also an area that is shaded. Grama are electric sites with the outer loop being pull thrus and the inner back in. They too have fire rings and tables. There is a restroom and water spigots in the area.

AKA Big Bluestem

This area is the Big Bluestem campground. There is a shower/restroom area at the beginning, hiking trails and primitive sites. Then you enter Big Bluestem campground which has two loops. One has pull through sites and the other has mostly back in sites. Each site has electric,water,fire ring,and picnic benches. There are some really nice views from the outer sites.

Beautiful lake views

This campground has 51 sites at $21 per night. Each site has electric, water, picnic table, and fire ring. The outside loop sites are pull through with beautiful lake views. The inner loop is back in sites with a view of the lake but nothing like the outside one. This area has few trees for shade and unfortunately no wind break. There is a swimming beach and a small fishing hole for kids. We camped at site 45 and 46 and had a small beach area that we could put our kayaks in. We had a beautiful view of the water and rolling hills. Each time we opened our door we instantly saw the lake and for most of the time it felt as if we were the only ones there. One thing that frustrated us was that the sites were either reserved or said One Day Only and there was no one at the camp host spot, the booth, or the office so we had to keep moving.

A true hidden gem!

Stunning views in every direction. A true diamond in the rough tucked just 8 miles from I-70 near Sylvan Grove, KS. This is a great place to enjoy the breeze as it blows across the rolling plains of eastern Kansas.

Wilson State Park has multiple camping loops with a variety of hookup options from primitive sites overlooking Wilson reservoir to full hookups with 20/30/50 amp power, water and sewer for RVs. Bring your camera, some comfortable shoes and sunscreen and enjoy plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking and fishing.

Nice view

Stayed one night on my way through. Had a nice view of lake from my primitive campsite. Bring charcoal or wood if you want to use fire ring. Didn’t see any on-site. There are full hookup sites available and a boat launch. Largest Ball of Twine nearby 😀

Beautiful Spot!

We really enjoyed our time here.  We had only one neighbor in our area of the park and were right on the water.  The lake was busy during the day and quieted down in the evening.  Bathrooms need a refresh but I can only imagine how much use they get each year.  Overall we highly recommend this place.  Before entering the park grab some firewood and last minute supplies from the local bait shop, 2nd right after getting off the main road.

Please clean up after yourself

This is one of my favorite lakes to camp near and my husband and I have camped in several campgrounds there. Recently, we stayed in the Caving Banks campground on the south side of the lake. This is a primitive campground that is near the water. Our site was private and mostly surrounding by trees, but most spots were out in the open. The only downside we recently encountered was the amount of liter we saw around several campgrounds but this seems to be more common in most campgrounds this year. I hope people start to clean up after themselves, because it’s very sad to see. Overall, this is a fantastic lake to fish at, and the camp attendant in the permit office was super helpful and friendly.