Standard , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Standard Camping Reviews
Fishing and Boating fun

Love going to this campground. Always nice and clean. Bath/showers are very clean with hot water. Nicely kept grounds with a beautiful lake for dock and boat fishing. You can rent boats and they have a nice camping store. Downside, not too many other things to do. Long drive to get into town and not much there but a gas station and grocery store.

Great Hiking but the Campsite is Hit or Miss

We visited the first weekend in November so we still had some leave to peep. The weather was unusually warm and beautiful so we were able to hike both days of our visit but it was packed with people who had the same idea. Also, as we left the park to go to our campsite (around 2 PM) the camp was getting a rush of afternoon hikers. The place is busy!!!

The campsite itself is off the State Park premises,which isn’t bad since it’s not swarmed park attendees not spending the night. It has an electrical hookup on each campground for RVs. There is also a bathroom with running showers and toilets, pretty nice. And there is a camp store (which is currently closed for the season). The campsites themselves vary in size and fire station. Our campsite was a little small but if you want fully forested campsites I suggest you keep your choices between #s 30 and 100.

We had a blast, the state park itself was fantastic, plenty to see. Starved Rock and the other peaks were fantastic and Wildcat Canyon was a sight to behold. Illinois Canyon is huge and worth the visit. I understand that with the spring runoff there are many waterfalls to behold. We plan on coming back then. Great place to camp!!!

Beautiful Campground

If you want more trees and privacy stick to the east loop if you want more flat land that is easy to drive up and camp, go to the west loop. The Camp store is cute but tiny. There is also a vending machine by the bathhouse and a 24/7 wood vending machine by the camp store.

3 state parks are within a 5-10 minute drive making early morning hiking very easy. Welcome to the Disney Land of outdoors!

The campground itself is off of Starved Rock’s main entrance but we think it’s perfect because I don’t need that much traffic with cars and people constantly walking/driving by. I do wish there were walking trails off the campground though.

Nice, quiet little place

We stayed here for a weekend. It's a nice place. Campsites are flat. The water hookups are kind of far from the individual sites (make sure you have extra hose).

Fall Camping at Shabbona

We have been to Shabbona a few times, and have always had a great time!  We really enjoy their pontoon boat rentals and fishing.  The view from our site was great.  Appreciated the little path behind our site that lead to the water.  My kiddos enjoyed hiking throughout and catching frogs.  I was disappointed that the water was already turned off (the lady at the store said she thinks it was due to covid??).  It was also disappointing that the camp store closed on a Saturday, didn't give notice that the last day to buy firewood was on Friday, and then it would be first come, first serve.  Because of the water/campstore closing I did give it 4 stars instead of 5.  My husband said the latrines in Canvasback Cove were "decent".  The main shower house with flushing toilets was clean.  Sites are not very private, but the fall colors made up for it.  We did name the tree our camper was under "baby spider tree".  Oddly, our last day we woke up to TONS of baby spiders all over our campsite dangling from the tree… pretty gross, but we can laugh about it now, lol.  Overall, we will be back next spring since it is a close campground.  May try a campsite in the other circle.

Expensive RV park for non-residents

Not worth the drive here to tent camp if you live outside of Kane county. Even their 9 hike-in primitive sites hugging the treeline lack privacy. Yes, all the sites are very flat. It's a nice field if that's what you look for in a campground.

Easy access camping in beautiful area

The campground has easy access for trailers, tents, and rvs. The shower/bathroom facility is good, but there is only one and I’ve seen this park get really busy. Campsites can be woooded or open.

Beautiful State Park

The park is beautiful with trails through canyons and lots of history. Many of the sites are wooded with decent privacy. The facilities are clean but in bad need of updating. I like that it’s short get away from Chicago.

Great place

Been camping here a couple times! Really fun, the have boat rentals, and fishing. Only down fall is the sites were too close to each other

Big sites!

Nice campground with big, level sites. Even though they don’t take reservations, there is plenty of space and availability. Lovely grasslands, ponds, hiking trails, but the lack of trees and privacy isn’t my preference. Still great option not far from Chicago.