Katy Did , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Katy Did Camping Reviews
There have been 2 murders here

I have to admit that I’ve not camped here, but I just downloaded Dyrt and was looking at local sites around where I live and saw this campground posted and felt I needed to be very clear about the conditions here. I’ve driven through, and it’s quite frightening. Just Google the name and read the news articles to get a clear picture of what this place is about. It’s not safe, clean or anyplace someone should camp.

Some really nice spots

The area has lots of RV and Campers strewn about- but the tent spots are spacious and right along the river. I camped there on a great night in early November and had the whole place to my self. Quiet, beautiful, and the staff was very nice.

Fishing and Boating fun

Love going to this campground. Always nice and clean. Bath/showers are very clean with hot water. Nicely kept grounds with a beautiful lake for dock and boat fishing. You can rent boats and they have a nice camping store. Downside, not too many other things to do. Long drive to get into town and not much there but a gas station and grocery store.

Lovely Campground

Spacious areas, lovely host. Was able to relax & enjoy nature!

Nature. Nature. Nature.

This campground surprised us. We got there in the dark and woke up to Fall colors, Canadian geese, trails, playgrounds. We got in without a reservation and upgraded to a beautiful spot on the water. The LTE was a bit weak, that’s the only downside.

Primitive camping at Tall Timber.

We walked in to do camping and we only had spots available at Tall Timber. It’s primitive along with nice trail.

Fall Camping at Shabbona

We have been to Shabbona a few times, and have always had a great time!  We really enjoy their pontoon boat rentals and fishing.  The view from our site was great.  Appreciated the little path behind our site that lead to the water.  My kiddos enjoyed hiking throughout and catching frogs.  I was disappointed that the water was already turned off (the lady at the store said she thinks it was due to covid??).  It was also disappointing that the camp store closed on a Saturday, didn't give notice that the last day to buy firewood was on Friday, and then it would be first come, first serve.  Because of the water/campstore closing I did give it 4 stars instead of 5.  My husband said the latrines in Canvasback Cove were "decent".  The main shower house with flushing toilets was clean.  Sites are not very private, but the fall colors made up for it.  We did name the tree our camper was under "baby spider tree".  Oddly, our last day we woke up to TONS of baby spiders all over our campsite dangling from the tree… pretty gross, but we can laugh about it now, lol.  Overall, we will be back next spring since it is a close campground.  May try a campsite in the other circle.

Nice Place

This is a nice, quiet little campground. The sites up on the hill are nicely spaced out and deep. We will definitely be back. The only issue we had was the narrow road up the hill, I would hat to be half way up and meet another camper coming down.

Well kept and all around great campground

This campground had spacious sites with several different sections suited towards camper trailers and tents. I stayed in the outback in my tent and had no neighbors so that was great! With a general store, laundry, and very clean bathrooms and showers there isn’t much you would need to leave for. Only reason I didn’t give it a 5 star is because I was told check out time was 2pm when it was actually earlier than that and I missed it by maybe 30 mins. An older employee came by and was a prick about it threatening to charge me another $32 for barely missing the time even though there was no rush to leave with no one coming in behind me.

Great place

Been camping here a couple times! Really fun, the have boat rentals, and fishing. Only down fall is the sites were too close to each other