Hopkins Park, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Hopkins Park Camping Reviews
Relatively quiet and on the river.

I'll be back

Perfect while visiting Indiana Dunes

We spent the weekend exploring America’s 61st National Park- Indiana Dunes National Park. The National Park campsite was full and recommended this place about 10 minutes away. It was our first time tent camping and the sites were very clean and nice. The bathrooms were also well maintained and camping staff very friendly and helpful.

We love this place.

Chris has always been friendly and accommodating when we've wanted to visit.

Not bad, not great

I’d give it 3.5 stars if that were an option. The old folks who run the place are great. We ended up camping here when we tried to take a last minute trip to the dunes but found everything was booked. They have a decent spot for stargazing down by the pond. The sites are nice and far apart but there isn’t much vegetation between them. Each site had a standard picnic table and fire pit, the bathrooms were clean and serviceable.It felt more suited to RVs than tents but wasn’t an RV parking lot like some places are.

Burndown ar Sundown ☀️ 🔥 07-13-19

Great time at the races! It was very hot but entertaining ❤️ 🏎 🎶

NHRA

Great time to camp and enjoy races!

Convenient

This place has come a long way. A lot nicer than it used to be when I was a kid. Friendly staff and clean campsites. Plenty of space at each campsite.

Had a great time

Campsites where larger than I expected and am used to with KOA. Very enjoyable weekend stay. We stayed in site 89 which was a pull through full hook up site with cable tv as well. The pool was quite large and clean. The KOA page states that they have a pool and splash pad area as well as mini golf. The camp ground shares its pool with the neighboring camp ground and KOA campers are allowed to cross over to use the neighboring camp grounds splash pad and golf. The mini golf was in disrepair and build over a very scummy pond and the splash pad was a bit worn down as well. My kids stayed in the pool which was quite nice. If you stay with KOA you get decently discounted tickets to Indiana Beach amusement park which we may visit in a future visit. Over all we had an enjoyable stay and would come again but we would add an additional day to visit the amusement park.

Amazing views, great quick getaway from Chicago

This campground was easy peasy and had an incredible view of the lake. We were right there on the lake. We went in September so I'm not sure how it would be in the summer since there is little to no cover.

There was nice hiking and we were able to get out into the woods for a while. My friend and I were surprised that such a nice place is so close to Chicago. There is a dock and the campground had good access to water, sink, and a nice bathroom. Lots of families were there when we went. Overall would recommend.

Just off the interstate! Great for a stopover!

We needed to extend by a day and the office was very helpful! Had pizza delivered! Good Cell, satellite and myfi reception.

Bring your own shower

The following review was done by my thirteen year old daughter. I agree with the shower problems and add that it was our final cold showers in disgusting conditions that lead us to write the review.

“If I could give negative stars❌ then trust me I would. Normally I consider myself a good sport and can sit through a lot of things✌🏼 but not the showers here😡, they look like they haven’t been cleaned or cared for in months🤮 and often have no toilet paper in the bathroom stalls. When I took a shower I found a small frog🐸 in it and I wish I was joking about that. There were dead mosquitoes on the walls💀, dead moths on the floors, piles of hair on the floors🤢, and dirt in every crack. But they have a nice Rockwall🧗🏽‍♂️.”

Other than the shower issues, the campsite🏕 was fine. It was easy to level, they give you free firewood with your stay, the staff is kind😇 at checkin and during rock wall activities. The location🗺 is the main draw, as we wanted to be close enough to visit Chicago and suburbs.🙂

Nice enough for local camping

Many very nice permanent sites. We loved the dog park along with the many activities available. We come here at least once a year. Check out their information on their website.

If you want a quick local get away this is the place.

Tent camping and Fishing

We enjoyed the quiet camping. Not much to do but fish. No hook ups but they do have a dump station. Use to have a shower house but it was closed when we were there.c

Closed

It would seem this campground is no longer operational.

Fun little campground

Had a great time this weekend camping with my wife and two boys. We camp in an Hybrid trailer and really appreciated the price point with full hookups. Sites were decent size and had fire pits at each location. They had plastic picnic tables which where light to move and easy to clean. Decently quiet camp site with a pool for the kids to cool off made for an enjoyable weekend. Close to Kankakee and some of the other towns in the area for things to do. I would definitely come again to kayak on the Kankakee river. Unfortunately the water levels where too high for this trip as warnings had been issued

Just another weekend :)

Small campground but very friendly. A plus was the full hookups. The sights are very close together. Management is not over bearing and very friendly. Dog friendly lots of dogs this weekend nice size dog park! You overall great weekend

A lot of fun and right on lake Sheaffer

Great place to stay and very convenient if you are going to go to Indiana Beach amusement park. There is a ferry that will take you to the park so you don’t have to drive.

Fantastic car camping close to Chicago

Great site, not far from Chicago, but feels well away from city life.

Tent sites around rim of a lake. RV sites and cabins as well.

Beautiful forest surrounds the lake, lots of hiking in the surrounding enormous forest preserve. Lake has fishing and boats as well.

Nice place but water taste funny

I love the place, the sites are first come first serve with cash($12), no power outlets, no shower. If you just want to sit by the fire, or want to camp out during the hunting season, or fishing with your boat, it’s a good place to be, there are monster bass in this lake, I have got a 19-inch largemouth in 2017. Do remember to bring power source for you phone such as a power bank and water to drink, the water there taste funny.

Great spot for family fun

This was a fun campground. We were there the week before peak season opened so none of the pools or splash pads were open, but they were very accommodating so that we could still play mini golf and ride around on the pedal cars.

Nothing fancy here, but friendly and professional.

This is a small, bare-bones operation, but it's safe and friendly; a great stop-over for passing through Chicagoland or Joliet. Level sites, full hook-ups. Not far from Chicagoland Speedway.

Located right on US45-US52. Lots of truck traffic stopping at the intersection makes lots of noise at night.

Great Camping and Trail Access

We’ve camped here a few times and it is always a great experience. Each site comes with a free bundle of oak firewood which is nice to use on the fire pits.

What’s great about this location is the access to the miles and mile of MTB and hiking trails just out the front step of your campsite.

We live 15 minutes away so like to take midweek camping trips to break up the work week.

The prettiest campground

I felt welcome and left well rested at this RV park. It's the prettiest campground in the Chicagoland area.

Always lots of activities on the weekends for kids and adults

This is a busy campground during the summer weekends. Activities for the kids are all weekend and evenings are busy with golf carts parades. The adult fun goes to the wee hours on busy holiday weekends. It’s a lot of fun for those who are looking for a fun filled time. This is not a retirement community campground- this is a busy active place for all ages!

Cook County Forest Preserve

It’s probably the closest camping to downtown Chicago. About 5 years in existence. Clean facilities with a few trails. Camp Sullivan is used a lot by scouting groups. There are lots of trees and it is somewhat woodsy. The best thing to me is Jack Gibbons’s, a restaurant directly across the street.

Family Gathering :)

This is a very nice campground. A lot of locals go there to get away for the weekend. :)

Simple, River fun

Small and hidden right on the Illinois River. Received a free night of camping with a whole day of kayaking which is absolutely recommended. Not much to do here except camp and kayak but I will be going back.