Ashkum, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Ashkum Camping Reviews
We love this place.

Chris has always been friendly and accommodating when we've wanted to visit.

Burndown ar Sundown ☀️ 🔥 07-13-19

Great time at the races! It was very hot but entertaining ❤️ 🏎 🎶

NHRA

Great time to camp and enjoy races!

Nice Campground

Very large campground. Many seasonal areas. Will let you set up a group of campers in a circle in grassy areas. They do an extremely large Halloween event Columbus Day weekend. Jam packed for this event. Awards for site decoration. Campsites set up haunted houses, candy for kids, drinks for adults. Fun to see adults and kids all dressed up.

Just off the interstate! Great for a stopover!

We needed to extend by a day and the office was very helpful! Had pizza delivered! Good Cell, satellite and myfi reception.

Nice enough for local camping

Many very nice permanent sites. We loved the dog park along with the many activities available. We come here at least once a year. Check out their information on their website.

If you want a quick local get away this is the place.

Tent camping and Fishing

We enjoyed the quiet camping. Not much to do but fish. No hook ups but they do have a dump station. Use to have a shower house but it was closed when we were there.c

Closed

It would seem this campground is no longer operational.

Fun little campground

Had a great time this weekend camping with my wife and two boys. We camp in an Hybrid trailer and really appreciated the price point with full hookups. Sites were decent size and had fire pits at each location. They had plastic picnic tables which where light to move and easy to clean. Decently quiet camp site with a pool for the kids to cool off made for an enjoyable weekend. Close to Kankakee and some of the other towns in the area for things to do. I would definitely come again to kayak on the Kankakee river. Unfortunately the water levels where too high for this trip as warnings had been issued

Nice campground near Starved Rock

Pleasant staff, nice sites. A couple hundred acres with multiple campgrounds. Many seasonal or permanent residents. Catch and release fishing pond.

Just another weekend :)

Small campground but very friendly. A plus was the full hookups. The sights are very close together. Management is not over bearing and very friendly. Dog friendly lots of dogs this weekend nice size dog park! You overall great weekend

Nice place but water taste funny

I love the place, the sites are first come first serve with cash($12), no power outlets, no shower. If you just want to sit by the fire, or want to camp out during the hunting season, or fishing with your boat, it’s a good place to be, there are monster bass in this lake, I have got a 19-inch largemouth in 2017. Do remember to bring power source for you phone such as a power bank and water to drink, the water there taste funny.

Nothing fancy here, but friendly and professional.

This is a small, bare-bones operation, but it's safe and friendly; a great stop-over for passing through Chicagoland or Joliet. Level sites, full hook-ups. Not far from Chicagoland Speedway.

Located right on US45-US52. Lots of truck traffic stopping at the intersection makes lots of noise at night.

The prettiest campground

I felt welcome and left well rested at this RV park. It's the prettiest campground in the Chicagoland area.

Simple, River fun

Small and hidden right on the Illinois River. Received a free night of camping with a whole day of kayaking which is absolutely recommended. Not much to do here except camp and kayak but I will be going back.

morning time

morning breakfast after the glampout night provided by the staff good food and quite environment

Venetian tour

had my first experience of a lit up kayak tour for fireworks

Great stop along the I&M Canal

McKinley Woods offers me a lot of nostalgia since I grew up in the area. In McKinley Woods proper there is a large camping area and two of the sites have concrete pads for ADA accessibility. Further west along the I&M Tow Path is another camp site; that's were my friends and I stayed. Three of us biked in and two hiked. The spot is more secluded than the ones in the park proper, but it still receives a lot of visitors through out the day. A person could kayak in; there is a concrete boat ramp into the Illinois river. The main draw to this place is the tow path. I high recommend bringing a bike to enjoy the trail. The trail is also part of the Grand Illinois Trail network. Fire wood is scarce near the camp site, but we were able to find plenty further up the path.

For my write up on our trip click here.

For my video click here.

peaceful

25 sites to choose from, they fill up fast on weekends so plan to make reservations early. the glampouts are a blast.

calm

if you want a nice riverfront camp site this place is perfect. they also have kayak rentals available.

quiet time

nice and peaceful morning

Waterfront sites, kayaking, right next to a state park

Camp sites are dotted next to the shore of the river, there’s kayak rentals, and there’s enough space for multiple tents on one site. If you forgot your tent they rent them out as well.

Peaceful

Fmily friendly

Fun friendly campground

We go camping here often because it is close to home. The owners are so wonderful, their staff is super accommodating. The campground is clean and all the campers, seasonal or non seasonal are so nice & friendly. We always go in October on one of their Halloween weekends a just have a blast. They provide scheduled activities, nightly movies, haunted hay rack rides and the owners even offer up a free dinner! We have never once have had any issues at this place and is one if our favorites!

Convenient

Where Route 24 and I65 meet near Remington. Loud road noise. Planted trees around pond have grown up to provide more privacy. Not my ideal location.

Beachfront camping.

We loved this campsite! We stayed when there were not many people there so we had plenty of space but could see it getting crowded when it’s full. We brought our own kayaks and launched right from our campsite which was amazing but they rent kayaks for pretty cheap If you don’t have your own. there is a confluence across the river which is great to float on. The only bathrooms (port-a-potties) are at the entrance. They sell firewood but also let you pick up sticks in the area that are small- we didn’t need to buy firewood after gathering our own. Picnic table and firepit provided. Overall a great campground that the whole family loved.

Very friendly staff

Upon arrival you are greeted by the owner and staff. They are very friendly and escort you to your spot after check in. Staff is super helpful and will lend a hand off anything is needed during your stay. The park is dog friendly. The campground is clean and quiet. There is no bath house, only port-a-potty's throughout the campground. But sites are full hookup so this isn't an issue is you are traveling in a TT. "Papa Don" is the owner, and is a very gracious host.

Felt Empty

We booked CLC as a short stop inbetween our trip. Arriving, the entrance was nice, the front office staff were friendly, young girls training. Our site was right by the front office, so we thought it'd be a busy area considering all the rvs we saw, but no. obly workers. To me this campground felt empty like we were the only family there. We soon found out that most people there were working on wind farms around the area. The lake was clean, none of the other water things were on but thats because no one was around using them. To me it's a pass thru the night have to get some rest campground.

Beautiful, tranquil, serene

Full hook-ups available, large sites, tents, RVs, groups, Pavilion available for rent