Arthur, ILLINOIS

Most Recent Arthur Camping Reviews
Clean campground

Clean campground but camping proximity is very close.

Beautiful lake

Really beautiful lake and lookouts and trail down to sandy beach. Close marina and even little food truck right off the lake. Good fishing. There are a lot of sites and we went on a packed weekend but sites arranged well and ours backed up to woods and felt as private as it could among so many campers.

Keeping it basic (Primitive nonelectric site)

Have to walk to the site but if you want nonelectric/ primitive that’s what you get. Water pump at either side of the entry. Some outhouses available. Trails close as well as fishing areas. Large sites for camping. Deer and wildlife seen in the mornings. Really nice way to get off the grid for a second without having to go too far.

Very nice state park

Nice big spots. 30 and 50 amp available. Right on lake Shelbyville. 309 spots 141 are reservable

Hidden Gem in Southern Illinois

I should start this review by saying the day we got home from this trip, I booked the same campsite for the end of September. So yeah, it was great.

Living on the north side of Chicago, we were looking for campgrounds in Wisconsin for this trip but then, alas, the quarantine rules went into effect so we turned our search southward. I'm so glad we did!  Illinois doesn't have a lot of lakes but boy is this a nice one. Rented a boat for a day and got to explore the lake and it's gorgeous. Also, there are a TON of campgrounds all around the lake and you could see from the water how many are right on the lake. I'm a sucker for a waterside campsite so I know I'll be back.

The site we had was at the end of the loop (not really a loop, just a straight road with a turnaround on a little peninsula.)

We had the lake on 3 sides and a private little area with trails to explore. This site was a buddy site so very large and plenty of room for two families. Social distancing was not a problem.

The bathrooms and showers were about as clean as I've experienced. Probably just got lucky but seems like every time I went in them they appeared to just have been cleaned. We went during the week and it was super peaceful in the campground and on the lake. I'd imagine in the Summer on the weekend, it will be a bit louder in the campground and more boats on the water.

One night our grand dinner plans were spoiled by a storm so I ran to Shelbyville and grabbed some pizza at Monical's Pizza. It was a quick 15 minute drive.

All in all, great experience and, as I said, we'll be back at the end of September.

Very nice!

Nice big spacious sites! Reserve early to get full hookup! Right on lake Shelbyville.

Busy Central Illinois Campground on a lake

This is our go-to campground when visiting the U of I. It is a large campground with well spaced campsites for tents and rvs. Almost every site has plenty of shade with lots of tree cover. This also means in the dog days of summer the breeze is blocked by the trees so get an electric site even with a tent and bring a fan. They have a beach and a boat launch. The loops that allow alcohol can get a bit rowdy with weekend partiers, but the alcohol restricted loops can get loud from all the families. However, with full hook-up options there is no generator noise. The showers/bathrooms are kept up well given the massive amount of people served. If you own a boat and camp, this place is ideal for central Illinois.

Standard small town RV Park

Super nice owners of this driving range with campsites. It's extremely close to the popular Lake of the Woods Forest preserve. We've camped here in tents with no problems, but it is mainly for RV stop overs from I74. It is a close drive or walk to hiking, or small town amenities like Filippo's family owned Sicilian pizza (excellent) or a little further to Casey's gas station. A 2 minute car ride to more restaurants downtown Mahomet, a grocery store, and Dollar General.

Awesome place

Everything is super clean here, staff is friendly. There is laundry on site and the showers are some of the cleanest I’ve seen. There are many options for what site to stay at and there are plenty of things to do while here. Quiet at night as well, and there is even a lounge for people to chill out in at night. There is a store there as well to help campers purchase whatever they need during their stay.

Awesome place