the dyrt
About McKinney Campground
McKinney Campground sits on the banks of Allatoona Lake, providing visitors with a variety of water activities in the green rolling hills of Georgia. Recreation Allatoona Lake is one of the most frequently visited Corps of Engineers lakes in the nation. Nearly 7 million visitors each year enjoy picnicking, swimming, camping, hunting, fishing, boating and observing wildlife along the 270 miles of shoreline. The lake is annually stocked with bass, crappie, bream, gar and catfish, making it a popular destination for anglers. Fishing jetties are available at numerous shoreline fishing locations, and a dock is provided at the campground. Facilities McKinney Campground provides 150 spacious campsites, conveniently located near the dock and swimming beach. Water-front sites are also available, giving visitors sweeping views of the sparkling lake. Fire rings, picnic areas, drinking water, flush toilets and showers are all provided, creating a comfortable camping experience for visitors. Natural Features Located just 30 miles from Atlanta, Georgia, Allatoona Lake is situated on the Etowah River, a tributary of the Coosa River. The serene lake and peaceful surroundings offer visitors respite from the rush of city living. Nearby Attractions The city of Acworth and Woodstock are nearby, offering restaurants, shopping, and historic downtown areas. Historic sites like the Etowah Indian Mounds and Booth Western Art Museum are a close drive to the city of Cartersville. The Visitor Center at Allatoona Lake Project Management Office features video exhibits and displays about the area’s history, ranging from the time of early Native Americans, to the Civil War and to present times. The Visitor Center overlooks the dam and offers many hiking trails. Red Top Mountain State Park has more than 15 miles of trails and offers interpretive programs. Eight marinas are located on Allatoona Lake that offer boat rentals and restaurants. Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield is located in Kennesaw and White Water Park is in Marietta. Zoo Atlanta and Georgia Aquarium are located in Atlanta. ADA Access: N
Sites
150
Drive In, Boat In
Fee Info
Campsite fees range from $28-$32 per night.
US Army Corps of Engineers
McKinney Campground is located in Georgia
Directions
From I-75 take exit 278 and turn north onto Glade Road. Continue for approximately 3 miles, then turn left onto King's Camp Road. After about a mile continue left at the fork and follow signs to the campground. Physical address: 6659 McKinney Campground Road Acworth, GA 30102
8 Reviews of McKinney Campground
Great place

Great place

Great

Well maintained. Wooded campsites right on lake

Never disappoints

all sites have water and electric. A few have full hook ups. Sites are large and well placed. Many aItea wIth lakevIew tI choose from. Always see deer and other wild life.

Our Go-To Campground

We LOVE McKinney Campground. Stayed multiple times. Check out pictures and a longer review of multiple sites on the link. https://imaginecamper.com/category/mckinney-campground/

Beautiful and easy

Every single plot had a beautiful view, plenty of space and power hookup, water etc. I've only camped with a tent, it's hard ground but loved it.

One of our favorites

We always stop here on our trips down to florida and we always stay a couple days as we love to get a waterfront site and they are nice , clean sites with lots of shade and pet friendly. We love to fish and we always catch several kinds but the crappie are so delicious.

Ranger Review: Mountain Khaki Rodeo Short Sleeve Shirt in Georgia

Campground Review: This campground is an excellent place to stay not far outside of the bustling metropolis of Atlanta. If you want to camp instead of a hotel, believe me, you need to stop here instead of trying to find something safe and camp-worthy closer to the city. You're really close to the water and also to other outdoor excursions here. You're also just a hop away from food, gas, and anything else you might need. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gear Review: As a Dyrt Ranger, I also get products to test and review in the field. I recently received a Mountain Khaki Rodeo Short Sleeve Shirt to test out. I absolutely love it, and here's why…it works for everything. You see, although I'm an essentialist, I also have various needs for my business and outdoor adventures. Professionally, I'm a conference speaker. I simply throw a blazer over this shirt and it works. Even though it works fine for dressier moments, I wanted to try it outdoors to see if it functioned there as well. I wore the shirt on a hike up a mountain near this campground, Kennesaw Mountain. It worked beautifully. No chafing, and it felt as soft and comfortable as my exercise shirts. Oh, did I mention that it was also 95 degrees outside. To truly test it, I let it dry overnight and wore it the next day to a conference. It didn't even retain the body odor from the hike. I know, I'm a weirdo for doing this, but I wanted to test it out.

Love the woods

Georgia Veteran’s Memorial State Park, McKinney Campground on Allatoona Lake (north of Atlanta; a Corp of Engineer park) - very woodsy and a nice lake. Hiking, rafting/etc, and walking all around. Very green in the summer!