South Coventry, CONNECTICUT

Most Recent South Coventry Camping Reviews
Clean and comfy

Clean, comfortable campground aimed more towards glamping. Lots of rv sites and very nice cabins. Cleanest bathrooms I've ever seen at a campground.

Great Family Campground

Although the tent sites are a distance from anything, the main areas of the campground are fantastic. With a full calendar of events (some free, some cost $) you will never be bored. Quiet time is quiet time which is great for families.

One of my favorites

If you want a good visit do not stay down by the lake!!!

No camping sorry folks

Westville doesn’t have camping sorry folks.

Shelter

It doesn’t get much better than camping away from others!!!! Pretty basic shelter.

Tranquil

Have stayed in the ten sites many times as well as hiked on through. It’s very clean and always well kept sites. Amenities are cleaned daily.

Nice campground, great location

I try to go here every summer with my two preteen grandsons. We tent close to the restroom and the pool, which are very clean. We go mid week and the special is pay 2 nights, get third night free. Devils Hopyard and Gillette Castle are close and Rocky Neck State Park is about a 25 minute ride

Best. Campground. In CT.

Man I love his place. Quiet rv and tent site park. Portopotties scattered about and showers and such near the entrance. Tent sites are nice and isolated, but not scary far apart. Lots of wildlife so keep your food sealed… Nice walking trails and free kayaks as available. I always get site 1, it's in its own area with pretty flat terrain. To reserve, fill out the form on the website and you'll get a confirmation. You can pay at the office when you check in. they'll also bring firewood to your site.the kid that works there is really nice but I always forget his name!

Nice family place

Good family campground with access to the ocean. No fire pits in the ground but you can bring your own ($50 on Amazon) or rent one (bring cash). I've done tent camping here in the summer but don't know much about the RV side, although I believe they have dump stations and such. Restrooms and showers are pretty good too, but typical campground bathrooms. 4 stars cuz I'm not a huge fan of the beaches, if I could give 4.9 stars I would.

Mixed review

They have a small playground, activities, tennis court, basketball. Not to mention its next to the amusement park.

However the tent spots are small and close together. Also there is only one set of facilities for the whole place.  It's quite a walk to the bathrooms.

Great location

Stayed here about two years ago just before then governor closed the state parks due to a fiscal crisis. The sites are very open, not wooded so you have little privacy from adjacent sites. Unfortunately our second night had some noisy obnoxious neighbors and there are no staff on site to monitor noise levels. Despite this the surrounding area is great. We hiked and went fishing nearby. There are few places to purchase goods on the way to the site so stock up before arriving. No water hookups or bathrooms either. If you prepare and know how to effectively car camp with a tent you’ll have a good time.

Simply the best!

The Preserve Club and Residences is a members/owners only community which is New England's most amenity rich properties, in fact it may be the only place in the world that has such a diverse amount of outdoor offerings.  Check it out.

I WOULDN'T GO BACK

Comments about the campground first… This campground is ok. If you're looking for a long drive into the woods with not a lot around, this is your place. It is admittedly quiet. Keep in mind, there is no place to dispose of garbage. So be prepared to haul it out. And there are no places to buy supplies if you forget anything. You will have to drive at least 15-20 miles. So be sure you are prepared or be willing to drive. Also, I concur that any of the sites along the road are terrible(e.g. sites 3-5). The road is a main road and is very noisy. There are bathrooms and showers(one per bathroom.) They are mostly clean. And there is a place to get water and to wash your dishes. Sites 3& 4 are not even separated by trees. So best not to book them unless you want to get to know your neighbors. I can't speak to the other sites. One word of caution… This campground has a zero-tolerance alcohol policy. As with most campgrounds, the website does say"no alcohol". Unlike most, if you bring beer, you can expect to be kicked out without notice. No warnings. Full disclosure, my family booked several sites here and was asked to leave because we had beer with us. We were not rowdy, disruptive or belligerent. We are not kids. We're 40 something professionals with kids of our own. We have all camped in every New England state for many years and had traveled from several different states to be there. We have never had a problem anywhere else. Did we violate the policy? Yes, we did. But that said, I have never camped anywhere that the policy was enforced. Therefore, if you go to Granville, be sure to take the policy seriously.

Family fun, very kid friendly

The campground is large with most areas that are in the trees and shade being seasonal.  That being said, we still had a nice site.  The staff is very friendly and responsive.  There are is a lot to do, especially for kids, including a train ride through the campground twice a day.  There is a nice pool, Boce ball, horseshoes, an arcade and mini golf.  They have weekend activities and music and apparently it gets very busy.  We stayed during the week, and it was quiet.  Bathrooms were clean and showers free.

Nice, but...

Pros: Nice campground with big private spots. Nice bathhouse with pay showers. Pretty, man made lake with a beach area for swimming and paddling. Cons: no hook-ups yet it cost $36 for out of state residents plus the fees which put it up to $44. Also only one bathhouse so port-a-potties along the road. Another thing we found was that the park staff here and elsewhere in RI were very lacking in knowledge about basically anything. Overall a nice place but pricey for anyone but RI residents.

Not the best campsite

We were able to book site 112 at the last minute and the staff waited for us to arrive. Although they were very friendly, they dropped the ball when it came to cleanliness and park security. We had other campers arrive back at their tent sites across from ours at 11pm and they were inconsiderate of all the sleeping campers with their lights already out. After Midnight I called the office and emergency line but got only the office answering machine. There was a host in a site 2 down from the party and nobody came to address the noise. I had to go and ask them to quiet down twice and lower their spotlight they were using to cook with. They stayed up (about 15 of them) til after 2am. I did email the owner and let him know the situation so I was able to contact someone about it, and he was going to check into it and where the ball was dropped by the staff not patrolling the campground like he said it was supposed to be. We had water and a 15 amp power box at our site and it was great for a tent but not for anything else. The sites are very close together. If you have kids, they have a lot of things for them to do, but when you want to get sleep, it wasn’t the beat place to stop.

Nice little stop over

We were just here for a couple of nights in August. Had everything we needed: 50 amp, water, sewer. It was field-style camping, which I don’t mi d at all. Nice easy in and out of sites, lots of activities on the weekend, and nice area overall.

Quite, family friendly park.

The hosts were very accommodating. We got a nice spot backing up to the river. Very secluded, clean sites. There was not sewer drains, but it’s ok, they have a nice dump station on your way out. The camp store has some fishing gear and tubes, so the kids could float down the river.

Decent camping

Very convenient if you want to go to the beach every day, but the campsite itself is very busy and crowded, usually with a lot of families and kids. Can’t use hammocks here, and you need to rent a fire pit. Nice if you want the location, but not the best for actual camping

Well maintained and clean

Gorgeous campground. It’s red clay instead of sand. I knocked a star because I think the swimming area could be bigger and raked.

A very busy park in summer

This state park has a campground and a separate day use area for swimming and picnicking. The campground is family friendly and most of the sites are near the water. If you are looking for privacy and quiet, I recommend the F Loop. The other loops have sites close together and it is generally quite loud during the day. Quiet hours at night are not strictly enforced so you may hear people up and around until midnight or later.

We launched our kayaks from the day use area because the campground boat launch was extremely crowded. From here, we paddled south to the end of the pond and up the Pachaug River, eventually reaching the dam at Pachaug Pond. It's an 8 mile paddle with some tricky spots to navigate, but very pretty! This park also has plenty of trails for hiking and geocaching. The pond has some really big fish, but it's heavily covered with lily pads and there are a lot of submerged trees. If you're going fishing here, a weedless rig is the way to go.

Quick stop / overnight

Wife and I stopped here as our halfway point to Maine from Baltimore. We do not regret it! We got there late and couldn't check into a normal site but the park did let us use the emergency stop off area to set up a tent. The ESO area was located in the park and we had a nice shaded field right near the bathhouse to set up. Full access to the bathhouse and park facilities. It's $14 cash to use the ESO and well worth it if you need a place to stay on a extended trip. We can't wait to come back for a longer stay! We had to be packed up by 8am which was no problem because we went down to the beach in the morning and sat by the water. The park opens to public at 8 so we had almost an hour without any real crowds. The staff was nice and the facilities were clean, wish we could have stayed longer. Great place for families and don't forget your bikes! Very flat and plenty of riding!

Great campground!

Sites 99 & 101 are best for big groups !

Quiet, clean and friendly

We stayed for 4 nights during the week, and it was the quietest campground we've ever stayed in. We were told by a seasonal that its a whole different story on the weekend. There are 2 pools and lots of games that they provide the equipment for for free. Bathrooms were clean. Most sites are a good size. Fire pits are nice and big made with large rocks.

A lot of it is seasonal, but it didn't feel like it like others we've stayed in. People were friendly.

The owner and staff were very friendly and helpful. A branch fell on the camper, and the owners son came right down and checked it out.

Our only complaint would be the spot they put the 5th wheel our cousin brought. It was too close to the road, and they wouldn't let him pull in so we were facing each other even though it would have easily worked out.

Beach and Campground

The campground is clean and well maintained. There are many trails for hiking and a beach for swimming. There is a boat launch too.

Fun place to stay

We stayed here for a week, the store is not big but has the necessities, there are 2 convenience stores nearby, has a playground for kids, a nice size pool and activities for kids of all ages they had a teen pool party the weekend we stayed, and they had an event to make suncatchers in the morning, they had a Thanksgiving dinner though we did not participate but looked like they had a great turn out, it has bathrooms and showers that you have to pay a quarter per 5 mins seemed more like 10

Terrible park

So noisy we only stayed one night. No privacy. Tents parked a few feet apart. We had smokers on both sides and our camper was blue with their smoke. Heavy drinking and loud voices all afternoon and evening. Many had their car radios blaring, all on different stations. Outdoor bingo game was done on a loudspeaker that penetrated every inch of the grounds. Drunken campers were banging on our door after midnight thinking we were the camper they were looking for. Nightmare!