About Fishermens Memorial State Park
No Alchohol
Fishermens Memorial State Park is located in Rhode Island
10 Reviews of Fishermens Memorial State Park
Not the bargain it used to be!

I read the reviews and was excited to be in a state park near the water for such a reasonable price. Imagine my surprise when we found out that a water/electric site for an out of state camper was $45 per night! This was our first visit to a Rhode Island State Park so not sure if they are all like this but this one definitely caters to Rhode Island residents who camp in large RVs! The sites with the best views are the full hookups (water/electric/sewer) and the rates for out of state campers are significantly more than for residents. I’m used to paying $5 or even $10 more for being from out of state but here the fee is double or more for out-of-state campers. Geez– way to make us feel welcome!

There are four areas, and each has advantages and disadvantages. Area One has the best views and full hookups but there is no bathhouse; Area Two also has full hookups, no view and some of the sites (55-65) are decidedly not level; Area Three is for tents only with no hookups but is close to the bathhouse; Area Four has water and electric hookups, the pads are not paved (as in the others) but most of the sites have more separation than in the other sections. See the photo below to understand the different areas.

No matter where you camp, there are noise issues. Road noise continued throughout the night and there is a wind turbine on the property. I’ve never been this close to one and yes, there is noise, although the road noise bothered me more. Alcohol is prohibited throughout the campground. There are pay showers available. There are the remains of two bunkers but other than walking by them, you cannot go inside. One (in Area One) is a grassy knoll with stairs to a lookout.

On the plus side: The bathrooms were clean, there is excellent cell service, Judith Point lighthouse is nearby, it is close to the ferry to Block Island, and there are numerous recreation options available (playground, tennis courts, volleyball net, and basketball courts). Also, the grouchy staffer I read about in reviews was not there the night we arrived and, in fact, the two staffers were very friendly and even recommended a good restaurant in the nearby town.

Clean, but nothing to do

This was just a stop over for us, but we were disappointed there was nothing to do. The ground were well kept, but not enough trees for us. The bathrooms were clean too that’s about it.

Both History & Seafood

A little noisy during peak holiday weekend, but quiets right down… Never experienced a pay shower at any campground, so this was a first!

Awesome campground!

Best location ever to the beach.

New facilities, clean and quiet campground.

one of my favorite go back to places

We come back to Fishermans twice a year. We love the pull thrus and the full hookups. The campsite is always clean and there is so much to do in the area.

Great spot for tent camping

great campsite. Clean and quiet. Bathrooms were super clean. Friendly park rangers. Love the closeness to the ferry to block island, shops & restaurants.

Didn’t get a great site

Very pretty campground with lots of grass. Unfortunately, our site was very sloped and had a huge tree trunk in the middle. We asked to change but they were booked. Restrooms were very clean. There is s nice playground and even a farmers market at the campground. Would have rated much higher if we had a site that wasn’t cut in half by a huge stump.

Great location and price

I camp at Fisherman's every August and I love this campground. If you are looking for a secluded spot in the woods this not it, but to be able to walk to the ocean for beachs, fishing, block island ferry, and great seafood you can not beat it; $20 with full hookup. It is such a good deal that you need to reserve a site twelve months in advance on the day they open up, even then don't wait but book it at 8am.

Excellent area some staff are rude

I would really like to break the review down into separate categories. The good news first. The location is amazing. You are close to the ocean beaches, ferry to Block Island, excellent dining, Narragansett activities, fishing boat harbors and some nice sites. There are a few sites that are booked 365 days ahead in the summer. Those are the sites on the pond. Those sites feel more private and are never available for more than a night or 2 because of the early booking option. I'm sure you could diligently search throughout the year for a cancellation. The majority of sites are fairly level pull through sites with hookups, not a lot of privacy and too close for my comfort but we survived and did have nice neighbors. We went on weekdays when you see a lot of seniors like ourselves. When we return, I will take a site Area 4 which is closer to the main road but also has more trees and privacy. The not so good… they strictly adhere to a no early arrival policy. I know the staff needs to clean the sites after departures. We sat in the parking line with several other folks for a few hours. Policy is policy but there is one woman who works there who is downright rude. Other campers complained about her and even some of the staff said "I know who you mean." They said even they were afraid of her. Management may be smiling to read this but she was really too sour of a person to work the desk. Other rangers deliver the same information nicely. I am attaching a photo from beautiful Scarborough Beach, just a mile from the campground. You can park in a grassy are and walk just behind the photo to the beach. Picnic tables are behind the trailer as well and this was our departure day when we parked for the day, before the drive home.

Close to Narragansett

About a little over a mile walk to Narragansett, an adorable beach community with lots of shops and places to eat as well as close to the ferry to Block Island. The campground itself is broken into section depending on water/electric/sewer. My campsite was located in the water only loop and although didn't have to much privacy, there weren't too many other campers present. On a crowded summer weekend, don't come here for a quiet, private weekend. The park is dog friendly but don't forget your rabies certificates much like other east coast campgrounds.