Hop Brook Lake, CONNECTICUT
Most Recent Hop Brook Lake Camping Reviews
Owners Kids are ruining this Beautiful Campground

I stayed here for 1 season and loved it at first. The owners Ray and Irene were the sweetest most helpful couple. You could tell they took pride in the property they have owned for more than 50 years.  When we first got there  we were planning on coming back every year but then we met their sons and grandson and had never been more disappointed. They were taking over the property and ruining the entire experience. They were rude, disrespectful, and arrogant. The rules were constantly changing  but no one could provide anything in writing .  The rates went up  but the service and ammenities went down . We came to a place like this to get away from people like that. It's very unfortunate that customer service just isn't a priority anymore. I would recommend going to Riverdale, Wolf's Den or even Chatfield Hollow where they have no amenities but the experience will be great.

No dispersed camping.

tried to just do the check boxes but it wouldnt let me submit without a bunch of dates i dont know.

Favorite place to camp in CT....

Well spaced out lots, you have a lot of privacy, there is a drive in movie theater 10 min away (we always tailgate a movie as tradition) it’s close to a bunch of quaint towns.

A good old place

My BSA troop has been going here for years to help new scouts learn to camp. It is a very casual site and good for your first trip, you are close to your car and the road in case you need it so no need for a bear bag. I like the sites

Cabins & trails are great!

Stayed in a cabin on the lower loop. Went hiking all day. Kinda close together sites, but the trails make up for it.

Great!

Nice campground, friendly staff, great trails around it. Would come back.

Great facilities. Beautiful beach. Sometimes crowded.

Beach can be crowded. But it is worth it. Nice food shack. Great family place.

Beautiful beach. Clean facilities. Family friendly.

We love this place. Beautiful beach. Fishing. Swimming. Crabbing. Camp store. Clean facilities. Large flat sites.

If ur able to snatch/reserve near ocean it's 5 *s, sites I95 traffic =3*

Going after Labor day weekend has many perks! Water may be unusually warm. Campground traffic was sparse. Sunrises spellbound glory. 6 Friends came for day visit & were mesmerized by everything!

Had no idea it was there!

Stayed in October 2018. Tucked away in the woods I never knew this was there! Beautiful pond and a good mix of seasonal and overnight sites as well as cabins. Plenty of areas to walk our dogs and have them swim. Playgrounds, bath houses throughout and fully stocked camp store with anything you could ever need. Organized events, cafe on site and quick drive (or Uber ride) to Mohegan Sun.

Love this campground

Amazing place clean specious sites. Always something going on or you can sit back and relax. Staff helpful and always there if you need something. Grounds well kept. This is our go to!!

Been camping here for years

Pros:

1. You can get a VERY large site that easily fits 3 tents.
  2. The area is lovely and the people in the area are really nice too.
  3. There is a lake across the street where you can paddle, swim, etc… (free to campers)
  4. The showers are free and the water is usually warm.
  5. True, there are cows on the farm hill… but I think that's nice.
  6. If you go during the week the place is a ghost town.

Cons:

1. True, there are skunks and other animals that are residents and they are prolific.
  2. True, the bathrooms are usually unclean, they run out of tissue, there is only 1 shower for the entire bathroom AND they clean them right when people are waking and need to pee (between 7-8).
  3. True, people drive too fast on the road between the campground and lake AND in the campground.
  4. The recycling and garbage truck will wake you around 6-7 am.
  5. I would never camp here on a weekend…. it is a party place then.
  6. True, the people who work there have lots of arbitrary rules (like you may not tie ANYTHING to trees) but they don't follow through on the important ones like drinking and quiet times.

Truly, it's a lovely place but I'm not sure that you couldn't find better. I like Lake Waramaug for a large group during the week… otherwise, I'd pass.

A very tired campground. Full of problems and inconsistencies.

This campground changed in the last few years, but not for the better. It is apparent that the manager does not like campers. If you have a tent, you are treated ok, until you violate one of their endless rules. Then they have the police escort you out.. If you have a pop-up or anything above the ground on wheels they make your life miserable and prevent you from camping in the front row where the sites are larger, level, and have a lake view. Bathrooms are dirty and uncared for, toilet paper is non-existent in the afternoon. Alcohol is not allowed but is poorly enforced. Quiet hours are not enforced. Two cars per site is not enforced. Loud Boomboxes are the norm. People using the lakeside state park walk through your campsite to go use the campground bathroom and showers - hence the toilet paper issue in the bathroom. Unfortunately, some of those day picnickers think your stuff is free for the taking. NEVER LEAVE YOUR STUFF UNGUARDED. The numerous skunks are an unwelcomed camp amenity. Watch your children, cars go racing through the campground! If you are looking for stress free and peaceful, this is not the place. It is party central on the weekends.The staff leaves at random times, either 3 pm, 5 pm or 9 pm and then you are on your own. But don't worry, there is a sometimes functioning emergency phone outside the camp office. Oh yes, and there is no cell service in that area. Have fun. But I'm not going back. Are you sure you want to camp here?

Mountain Lakes is a beauty

A gorgeous piece of land that contains lakes, a lookout and Mt. Bailey, the highest point in Westchester County. A dirt road loops through the property with trails off and through it. No facilities that I can think of, but there are a few lean-to’s scattered off the looping road.

Very exspensive.Rude staff. Filthy bathrooms

Will never ever go back to this campground! Doesn’t even deserve one star.

Nice beachside campground

The campsite is a nice campground for easy access to the beach (Long Island sound) and if you want to go to the Long Island wineries. The proximity to those two things make it a popular destination for city folk who don’t understand the proper decorum for a campground. Music starts blasting early here.

Great local spot

This is a great local spot that I love to go to get out of the city for a little bit. There’s elevation gain, creeks, and open fields for stargazing. You have the options of a lean to here.

Woodsy but old

We stayed at this campground a few years ago for a friend’s birthday. There are a lot of activities and amenities. The sites were ok, some are larger than others. The bathrooms weren’t very clean, but I think they are doing renovations. It does give you the feeling that you’re in a real campground though.

Full amenities - stay for a few days or a season; lots to keep you occupied

It took me a while to identify a campground that was convenient for exploring the Hyde Park area, in particular the FDR National Historic Site (20-30 minutes away) and the Walkway over the Hudson, but this campground also offers plenty to keep the whole family occupied. It was Christmas in July while I was there, with decorations and planned activities to accompany it. All these amenities do come at a price. This year the most basic site with water costs $46; add electric on up to sewer and cable tv and you'll pay as much as $60/night.

With that you get free wi-fi, a heated pool, a lake for fishing and boating, a game room and snack bar, movies, other sports, and the security of a gated entrance. That's great if you're a family looking for entertainment for your kids, but I spent so much of my days running around exploring the area that I didn't feel I got my money's worth. Sites are close, some are sunnier than others. I was below the bath house/rec hall, but wasn't disturbed by lights or noise (I was in a tent) except from my next door neighbors.

If you don't need all the amenities, check out state parks in the area, but if you've got kids and want full hook-ups, want a snack bar so you don't always have to cook, I doubt you could beat the offerings here at Interlake RV Park.

Wooded camping near the beach

Nice CT state park campground with clean well maintained campsites. Mix of open field and well shaded campsites with reasonable space, some sites have decent privacy, most are pretty open. Good access to shared drinking water, restrooms and dishwashing stations. Most sites are mixed use allowing RVs but no hook ups or dump stations available. Bathrooms/showers are ok but could use better cleaning and upkeep. Rocky Neck state park beach is within walking distance if your ambitious otherwise its a 2min drive from camp. We like it here and return often for the opportunity to camp and enjoy beach time during the summer.

Great campsite on the farmingtom

Awesome campgrounds that makes you feel your truly out of Connecticut

Great place for opening day of trout

Small little campground located in an amazing a beautiful park. Go here every spring for opening day of fishing season and camp the entire weekend.

Jug End Campground, Great Spot for Section Hikers and All.

Great spot, I have section hiked the majority of the east coast AT and this is in my top 10 spots to stay at. Trash cans, but carry out is preferable.

Fantastic spot, right near water. 12 platforms available.

Near non-potable stream, no fires allowed, bathroom is fine, bear boxes available. 50 feet between platforms. Right over the border of CT into MA on the Appalachian Trail. Great spot, highly recommend.

Close to the city

This is one of my favorite places to go camping with friends. It is so close to the city and has easy access to all the wonderful things in the area. It is also incredibly beautiful in the fall and can be combined with delicious apple picking. Try and go ahead and reserve in advance a private site, otherwise the group sites are great for meeting new people.

Amazing!

Very 'populated' with other campers

I am not an overall fan of populated camping sites. This one is acceptable, to me, because of the abundance of trails and wildlife you can venture out to see and my stars are based on that. Not to say the camp site does not deserve 4 stars. It does, there are more than the needed amenities here. Not to mention town is a few minutes away.

I don't have photos of our site, I was mainly interested in photographing our encounters. There is an abundance of the campsite photos on here already. Here you will find, what is around when you look for it.

Our site was nice though, we tried to go to a quiet spot, end of the designated grounds, away from campers in general. Flat, room for the tents. Firepit had a grill top over it. We basically just slept there and were taking trails and enjoying the beachfronts the rest of the trip.

This is a great family camping area. We saw a lot of kids having a blast. Not recommended over a major holiday weekend or anything unless you don't mind crowds. We tried to go on a lazier weekend in August.

We saw a lot of awesome birds, a turtle and deer. My favorite was the Great Horned Owl

Perfect location central in Connecticut

This place is off Route 9 in Connecticut on the east side of the Connecticut River (major RT 9 highway is on west side). You need to cross the river via bridge to Goodspeed Opera house and past to get to the RV campground. Nearby attractions are Gillette Castle and Goodspeed Opera. The campground itself is realy nice. Cable TV at most sites. Only electric 30 or 50A, and water; but there are a few dumpstations around in the camp. Very peaceful. There are activities on Friday and Saturday (like Bingo). Great store with extended hours. The camp staff will help you with anything. Really long or tall RV will need to stay close to the front of the campground, as typical older campground is not designed for 40 foot long or 10 foot high campers.

Weekend Backpacking

This site is just south of the Bear Mtn summit. You can park at the Undermountain Trailhead area. Once you hit the AT go to the right and it goes to the summit. From the summit it was a left and another mile or so. You will run into the Brassie Brook shelter lean-to. It's a pretty great little site for being in the middle of nowhere like we like. The lean-to fit our small tens, and there is a picnic table. There's also a bear box near by. Room to camp your tent on the ground too if you wanted to or had more ppl along. Our trip was sadly cut short because we were freezing and it was raining a lot LOL but hey it's part of the experience. The fall views made it worth it. We did have some sun spots at least throughout the trip. Great weekend overnight backpacking.