Equestrian
About Hammonasset Beach State Park

Hammonasset Beach State Park is the largest of Connecticut’s shoreline parks. Two-mile beach, facilities for swimming, camping (third weekend in May to Columbus Day), picnicking, saltwater fishing, scuba diving, hiking and boating; concessions. Nature center and interpretive programs. Bicycle rentals available through Labor Day, rates begin at $10 per hour and range up to $75 per week, with discounts for children. Helmets provided free to use and are mandatory for riders 15 and younger. Note: Lifeguards on duty on Wednesday through Sunday.

Pricing: Weekdays: free for CT vehicles; $15/out-of-state $7 after 4:00 pm. Weekends and holidays: free for CT vehicles; $22/out-of-state $7 after 4:00 pm

Hammonasset Beach State Park is located in Connecticut
28 Reviews of Hammonasset Beach State Park
Great family friendly beach campground destination

We’ve read some reviews , but we surprised how nice this place is , large sights , mostly families , not loud , descent bathrooms, warm showers , nice beaches , great hiking and bird watching .

Friendly staff . Amazing sunset scene . We enjoyed , mid August staying for 3 nights , if we had time , would’ve stay longer .

Peaceful 4th of July 2020

This campsite is near the shore in my home state of CT. It took a little over an hour to get here. Our spot was near a large salt marsh.

The park and beach were full occupancy for campers without reservations. I saw no tents - maybe due to COVID. There are ample bathhouses but the one near me is locked up. I suspect the others may also be closed.

A pair of geese and their goslings came to visit. See video and pictures.

No campfires allowed without a fire pit. You can rent one at the small camp store for a $20 deposit plus $12 first night the $2 each night - pay in advance.

Sites are large and clean. My site has trees for shade and a place to hang my hammock. But the park officials made me take it down :(.

Water hookup but no electricity on our sites. Water for drinking only was on my site but you can’t connect with a hose to your camper in most of the less expensive sites. There are more expensive sites with full hookups but no Wi-Fi.

Price of my site is very affordable around $20 a night.

I saw 2 dump stations near exit. Supermarkets a few miles down the road.

Easy to walk to the beach. Plan to kayak. There is a boat launch at Meig’s Point where you can drive 100 feet from the water to unload from your car. Lovely small beaches, walkways and jetties for fishing or photos of nature.

On the shore camping

This is great if you like the beach

Best of all worlds beach camping

Beautiful Connecticut beach sits just steps away from your campsite. Well kept showers and bathrooms are abundant and the camp store has the majority of what you need. You can ride your bike from your site to the playground, store, beach, local ice cream shop, coffee shop, or our family favorite, meig’s point nature center. We make it a point to spend at least a week here every summer!

Nice family place

Good family campground with access to the ocean. No fire pits in the ground but you can bring your own ($50 on Amazon) or rent one (bring cash). I've done tent camping here in the summer but don't know much about the RV side, although I believe they have dump stations and such. Restrooms and showers are pretty good too, but typical campground bathrooms. 4 stars cuz I'm not a huge fan of the beaches, if I could give 4.9 stars I would.

Decent camping

Very convenient if you want to go to the beach every day, but the campsite itself is very busy and crowded, usually with a lot of families and kids. Can’t use hammocks here, and you need to rent a fire pit. Nice if you want the location, but not the best for actual camping

Quick stop / overnight

Wife and I stopped here as our halfway point to Maine from Baltimore. We do not regret it! We got there late and couldn't check into a normal site but the park did let us use the emergency stop off area to set up a tent. The ESO area was located in the park and we had a nice shaded field right near the bathhouse to set up. Full access to the bathhouse and park facilities. It's $14 cash to use the ESO and well worth it if you need a place to stay on a extended trip. We can't wait to come back for a longer stay! We had to be packed up by 8am which was no problem because we went down to the beach in the morning and sat by the water. The park opens to public at 8 so we had almost an hour without any real crowds. The staff was nice and the facilities were clean, wish we could have stayed longer. Great place for families and don't forget your bikes! Very flat and plenty of riding!

Off-season is great!

The beach area is very user-friendly with several parking lots as well as pavilions to break from the sun. Large bathrooms with showers and dressing rooms complete the amenities and several vending machines for snacks are available. Lots of shells and rocks so bring shoes.

In addition to the beach, there is a beautiful area adjacent known as Meig's Point. It is here you can follow a short trail through a partially wooded area straddling the beach. The beach is littered with boulders deposited by the glaciers. The views are beautiful and the rocks and stony beach give a connection to the time of the glaciers. Two information kiosks help to explain the evolution of the area. Across from here is a bucolic salt march. Beyond that is the nature center, another area to investigate.

Nice if you like to “rough” it

We’ve been going to Hammonasset for years as a large family gathering. Most sites don’t have hook ups so you have to run off battery and water storage tanks if you have a RV. My biggest gripe is lack of any enforcement. No one enforces the parks rules so some groups tend to be rowdy later in the evening, children on bikes darting in front of moving cars. Nice thing is it is fairly inexpensive and there’s several beaches to choose from.

Beautiful beach. Clean facilities. Family friendly.

We love this place. Beautiful beach. Fishing. Swimming. Crabbing. Camp store. Clean facilities. Large flat sites.