About Hammonasset State Park
Hammonasset State Park is located in Connecticut
24 Reviews of Hammonasset State Park
Nice family place

Good family campground with access to the ocean. No fire pits in the ground but you can bring your own ($50 on Amazon) or rent one (bring cash). I've done tent camping here in the summer but don't know much about the RV side, although I believe they have dump stations and such. Restrooms and showers are pretty good too, but typical campground bathrooms. 4 stars cuz I'm not a huge fan of the beaches, if I could give 4.9 stars I would.

Decent camping

Very convenient if you want to go to the beach every day, but the campsite itself is very busy and crowded, usually with a lot of families and kids. Can’t use hammocks here, and you need to rent a fire pit. Nice if you want the location, but not the best for actual camping

Quick stop / overnight

Wife and I stopped here as our halfway point to Maine from Baltimore. We do not regret it! We got there late and couldn't check into a normal site but the park did let us use the emergency stop off area to set up a tent. The ESO area was located in the park and we had a nice shaded field right near the bathhouse to set up. Full access to the bathhouse and park facilities. It's $14 cash to use the ESO and well worth it if you need a place to stay on a extended trip. We can't wait to come back for a longer stay! We had to be packed up by 8am which was no problem because we went down to the beach in the morning and sat by the water. The park opens to public at 8 so we had almost an hour without any real crowds. The staff was nice and the facilities were clean, wish we could have stayed longer. Great place for families and don't forget your bikes! Very flat and plenty of riding!

Off-season is great!

The beach area is very user-friendly with several parking lots as well as pavilions to break from the sun. Large bathrooms with showers and dressing rooms complete the amenities and several vending machines for snacks are available. Lots of shells and rocks so bring shoes.

In addition to the beach, there is a beautiful area adjacent known as Meig's Point. It is here you can follow a short trail through a partially wooded area straddling the beach. The beach is littered with boulders deposited by the glaciers. The views are beautiful and the rocks and stony beach give a connection to the time of the glaciers. Two information kiosks help to explain the evolution of the area. Across from here is a bucolic salt march. Beyond that is the nature center, another area to investigate.

Nice if you like to “rough” it

We’ve been going to Hammonasset for years as a large family gathering. Most sites don’t have hook ups so you have to run off battery and water storage tanks if you have a RV. My biggest gripe is lack of any enforcement. No one enforces the parks rules so some groups tend to be rowdy later in the evening, children on bikes darting in front of moving cars. Nice thing is it is fairly inexpensive and there’s several beaches to choose from.

Beautiful beach. Clean facilities. Family friendly.

We love this place. Beautiful beach. Fishing. Swimming. Crabbing. Camp store. Clean facilities. Large flat sites.

If ur able to snatch/reserve near ocean it's 5 *s, sites I95 traffic =3*

Going after Labor day weekend has many perks! Water may be unusually warm. Campground traffic was sparse. Sunrises spellbound glory. 6 Friends came for day visit & were mesmerized by everything!

Very 'populated' with other campers

I am not an overall fan of populated camping sites. This one is acceptable, to me, because of the abundance of trails and wildlife you can venture out to see and my stars are based on that. Not to say the camp site does not deserve 4 stars. It does, there are more than the needed amenities here. Not to mention town is a few minutes away.

I don't have photos of our site, I was mainly interested in photographing our encounters. There is an abundance of the campsite photos on here already. Here you will find, what is around when you look for it.

Our site was nice though, we tried to go to a quiet spot, end of the designated grounds, away from campers in general. Flat, room for the tents. Firepit had a grill top over it. We basically just slept there and were taking trails and enjoying the beachfronts the rest of the trip.

This is a great family camping area. We saw a lot of kids having a blast. Not recommended over a major holiday weekend or anything unless you don't mind crowds. We tried to go on a lazier weekend in August.

We saw a lot of awesome birds, a turtle and deer. My favorite was the Great Horned Owl

Easy-Going Family Campground

Perfect beach camping for families. The sites are spacious, mostly flat and grassy. If you do your research in advance you can secure sites with some shade for the hot afternoons. All have convenient bathhouse access which includes men’s/women’s/family shower facilities, toilets and an outdoor sink area for cleaning dishes etc. No matter where your site is you are only a 5-10 minute walk from the beach. If you don’t want to spend everyday on the beach there’s a nature center and walking/biking path on site as well as many attractions nearby (Mystic Aquarium, Mystic Seaport, outlet shopping). Quiet hours are 10PM-7AM, great for the little ones and, honestly, after a full day on the beach all of the adults are exhausted as well. Our crew has a tradition of booking sites with other families early in the year so we can grab a whole row of sites… we book one extra as a communal site for meals, fire, etc. The kids are able to take over the road with bikes, scooters, chalk, whatever! Stress-free, easy family camping! The only reason I give this place 4 stars, and this the the fault of the State of CT, is that people can smoke on the grounds. There was an individual that smoked throughout the day right outside the family restroom and there are butts on the beach. Get with the program CT!!

Friendly place

The campgrounds wAs good. The beach and bathrooms were dirty. The beach had garbage on it. Dirty diapers were laying around. Bathrooms on the beach looked like they were never cleaned all season.