The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Morrison , COLORADO

Camping Colorado Morrison Standard (Tent/RV)

Most Recent Morrison Camping Reviews
Great Lakeside campsites

Great place to take the camper and kayaks. Kayaking, SUPs, fishing, hiking.

LOVE IT!

Lovely campground! Beautiful pine forest, morning sun, nice sunsets, clean campground with great facilities(including laundry, clean large shower house, electric hookups, and a dump station). Good hikes right near campground and tons of hikes in the state park. The trailhead for the gorgeous Raccoon Trail loop is just feet from our campsite. We stayed at site 6 loop A for one night in early October. Wish we were staying longer! We will return someday!

Be careful not to hike on private property!

Be careful where you hike around this campground. There is an active mine above this campground. New fencing & signs will be put up this summer! Trespassers WILL be prosecuted! The campground is small most of the land around it is private property!

A must do!

This place is one of my favorites. The campsites are very well taken care of. Camp host is nearby and helpful if you have any questions or concerns. Perfect location for paddle boarding, kayaks and fishing. Sites range from tent camping, Trailer, on-site Tee Pee's, cabins to glamping. They generally have resident moose that love to hang out in and around the property. Well kept playground for your Littles as well as complimentary canoes that can be used on their on-site pond. The owners are awesome and super friendly.

Beautiful sites on a river

Great sites, spaced out nicely. Road can be rough right at the end. Will need a high clearance vehicle. No fish in the river due to mine contamination. Lots of free dispersed camping a little further up the road.

Nice dispersed campsites

Free dispersed camping with zero amenities but man made fire pits. Windy and cold but beautiful!

Closed

We were so excited but as of January 1, 2021 it is closed. I’m sure it will reopen during warmer seasons.

Love it Here, Will Be Back

No hookups but spacious level sites! Clean bathrooms and water spouts throughout the campground. Lovely views from the lookout right within the campground… really rewarding to stumble upon. Wish I could have stayed longer but was there for the very last week before season close. I didn’t make a reservation so I paid cash in the ranger box. No working ATMs in the area so be sure to bring some if you’re paying that way. Oh, also! A moose came right up to my campsite on my last night!! Luckily I was in the van so I could observe it safely. Soooo cool! Super nice camp hosts. Cool drive up to campground.

Great spot with everything you need

Typically we try for the more out of the way campgrounds or dispersed camping, but with a brand new trailer, we needed a bit more stability. Base Camp offered electric hook ups for us, a stocked store, and they lent us an extension cord when we realized we left it at home.

Had this been summer, I would expect it to be pretty tight quarters, and you are pretty close to a decently trafficked road, and Base Camp doubles as a gas station and propane fill (again, great if you need it while you're staying there), so I wouldn't call it private.

Kind folks and a great first night.

Camping Like it Used to Be

South Fork is located in the Arapaho National Forest and administered by the Sulphur Ranger District. Situated on the banks of the South Fork of the Williams Fork of the Colorado River, this campground reminds me of days gone by when reservations were not a "thing".

Southfork is a first come, first served campground with 21 sites. While there is generally a resident Host, the lightly used campground has the feel of what campgrounds were like 50 years ago. Individual sites are mostly flat. All sites have picnic tables, fire rings, and tent pads. All will fit tents, most will accommodate travel trailers, and some will allow 5th wheels/large RVs well over 40' (some spurs are 50'). There is also a group site that fronts the creek which is available by reservation. There are two well maintained pit toilets and two functioning hand crank water wells available. For equestrians, there is a small corral on the south end of the campground though I've never seen it in use. Like the Sugarloaf campground, Southfork was cleared of trees a number of years ago.

When I first camped at Southfork some 8 years ago, the sites in the center were all open with small seedling Lodge pole pines beginning to take root. Spruce trees along the creek were not cleared and are very large making for nice shady sites (these are the most popular and always fill fast). Today, the seedlings have grown quite fast and are in the range of 5-7 feet tall providing a nice screen between the formerly open sites. Note that this is not always the most quite campground as there is a tramway that connects the Henderson Mine with it's Mill located off the Ute pass road. When the tram is running, it creates a fair amount of background noise. While I have no problem just hanging out at the campground, there are many other activities available in the area.

For those with a restless spirit of adventure, trout fishing, hiking, and Geocaching are available in the Southfork area. If you are interested in more detail, check out the review of Sugarloaf campground located just to the south.

Due to a lack of amenities, Southfork may not be for everyone but if you're looking for a campground that has the spirit of bygone days, this place is well worth a look.