Yurts
Hike In
Golden Gate Canyon State Park is located in Colorado
22 Reviews of Golden Gate Canyon State Park
Awesome hiking trails

Hiked one of the moderate trails, made it to some campsites that were pretty remote. Hiked uphill for about 1-2 miles so it’s hard with camping gear! Beautiful scenery though!

campsite view was ridiculous!!!

if you pick a tent site it’s your best bet the electric sites are too close to RV’s

child friendly

such a beautiful place. trails are amazing. although the sound of screaming children that pervades the campsite kind of ruins the experience.

Worth the hike

Hiked about 2.5 miles into a back country shelter site. It was quiet and secluded but only a short walk from a small lake and a historical cabin site. Loved it!

Great Campsite Weather Permitting

Late October is very unpredictable in Colorado for a camper who is primarily a tent camper. That probably wasn't the best formula for me to pick up a friend at the airport and head out for our first camping experience. Heading out from the airport it was brisk but do-able, by the time we had arrived at the turn off we started to notice a rapid dip in temperatures. We opted to check out Look Out Mountain before heading to the campsite and well that is when everything went sideways.

I had already reserved a space at the campsite and it was a little early to try to check in so I thought, no big deal we will get some sight seeing out of the way. Little did we know that it was about to start a random snow.

We went in and when we came out huge flakes!! The temps had dropped even more!

Long story short, my friend having never camped before was not about to start with that. I was a little freaked out but only had $18 invested.

We went ahead and drove to the campsite to see if I could get refunded and to see if there was anything worth seeing before we tried to run away from the snow. The campsite was amazing!! I wish I had found it a day earlier in fact before the snows because I had instead opted for a much less awesome site closer to the airport.

The sites were placed nicely so you would have plenty of room, the grounds were maintained to a very high standard and overall it was just very impressive. Even in the snow it was looking like a place that was just waiting to be explored.

After speaking to someone they were kind enough to refund my money, which I wasn't fully expecting but I was very happy to know they were willing to do based on the conditions. They wanted our first trip to the site to be one that left a positive feeling not a negative one so they that was very kind.

TIPS:

• Ideal times to go here are between May and early September, anytime after that they get random weather.
  • Checkout all the things this campground has to offer during season there are a lot of educational programs designed for families.
Natural Beauty Abounds

Golden Gate Canyon SP is absolutely gorgeous! We loved the experience at the park, the trails are great and the views are wonderful. The drive up can be a bit breathtaking, but it can be done!

Close to Denver, but feels far away

Golden Gate Canyon State Park is enormous. The options for trails are endless. Great for mountain biking or hiking enthusiasts. There are facilities, ideal for car camping or families. The park feels like it’s far from the city, but the drive is easy for a weekend camping trip!

A Hidden Gem close to home

Great place to get away from the hustle bustle of the city yet close enough to get there quickly

amazing

we absolutely LOVE golden gate canyon state park! such a beautiful space and wonderful hikes. it is well trafficked and definitely for good reason. take the raccoon trail to panorama point for a wonderful view of it all!

Panoramic Views and Great Campground

Our site had some big boulders nearby which was really cool. Beautiful hiking nearby with breath taking views. Lots of chipmunks! Great place to relax and do some yoga. Would love to go back!