Bay Minette, ALABAMA
Most Recent Bay Minette Camping Reviews
Love it

This is a fantastic find for us. So close to Perdido key beach but very nice quiet and fairly private feeling sites. Our site #7 had a large clean concrete pad and fun sandy area in back with place to stretch a clothesline or hammock. Bathrooms were clean. Price was very reasonable at $21 per night.

Clean and hospitable.

Isolated yet only one hour and a half from Mobile, AL. Plenty of room at each site. Well kept facilities. Hot showers. Located on Big Escambia Creek. Tubing and horseback riding available in season. Secure campground. Well kept secret.

Nice location

This is a scenic campsite along the river. The tent sites are in a general area, not specific sites. It worked out well for me since I was the only renter but I imagine it could get very crowded. The facilities are clean and the staff were so nice. My one complaint is that they don’t provide fire pits for campers.

Hostile Owners

From our first encounter until we left we were met with a hostile or maybe we just don’t care what you need attitude. Wendy. Since we were at their mercy because we had no other campground to go stay. The park hosts were friendly and helpful. The campground itself was nice. It was mostly well kept. If you are not staying long and if the park hosts are on duty I would recommend it.

Busy with Nosey Neighbors

This is a well kept RV park. It is very organized and clean. It is convenient to I-10 and many restaurants and shopping. I thought the people were being friendly and waving but they were holding up their hand for 5. As in 5mph. One time I was going 6, another time 3 and the last time exactly 5. We had issues with our neighbors letting their dogs out at night and they didn’t clean up their poop. The park host told me they had issues with them frequently but they are still allowed to stay there. They have activities planned and the mail system is very organized.

Peaceful surroundings

This RV Resort is quiet and peaceful. The bathroom/shower house is locked at night. There is a river with beautiful clear water. There is a place to grill out and to hang out. There is a deck that overlooks the river. The camp hosts are friendly and super helpful. I loved it there. It is convenient to I-10 and to the Foley Beach Express. I’m looking forward to staying there again. It was always quiet and peaceful at night and most of the time during the day as well.

Rich in History and Nature

Blakeley State Park could be described as being "frozen in time". There's a lot of cool Civil War history to witness, as well as a beautiful walking path/deck along the bay. We were not expecting the $5/person charge to enter the park, so be sure to come prepared for that. No sign of trash on the ground anywhere throughout the park, so I at least know the money is actually being used for good. Map/trails are a little confusing. We had a hard time navigating the park, but the accidental detour allowed for us to watch a turtle lay eggs in the ground. We also managed to run into someone's pet rabbit-- which you can see in the picture provided. The only other thing you need to know is that there are yellow flies and they do bite hard (and can cause an allergic reaction in some people.) Definitely bring bug spray and sunscreen!

Excellent as always

This was my third trip to Pickens and it was amazing as always.

*The camping store is closed until they can find someone to run it. Wood and ice can be bought at the Tom Thumb just outside the park or at Walmart/Publix in Gulf Breeze.

*Battery Cooper Rd was closed so those two batteries are inaccessible.

*Loops B/D no longer have electric or dedicated water (there is a water spigot every few sites). Tent sites D24, D25, B6 have the best shade and space.

*We stayed at A15 (right next to walking trail entrance) and my best friend on A14. Other good shaded sites on this loop are A4 (grass not level enough for tents), A6, A12, A19, A21, A24, A26, A35 (next to dumpsters though), A36 (okay but not great).

*You can no longer hang anything from trees or power poles (hammocks, clotheslines etc). You also cannot having a shower looking tent (we have one for a changing tent only—no toilet or shower—and they made us take it down). Max two tents or camper and one tent per site (awnings/pop up shelter over picnic table don’t count towards the two).

*I didn’t peek into the restrooms in loops B-E. A-loop restrooms were a little dated but clean and functional. The laundry/dish washing station was stellar.

*There are dump stations (one in loop A and one for B-E) but no sewer hook ups per site.

*The price for getting into Gulf Island National Seashore is now $20 and it’s a 7 day pass.

*The campground now gives out two slips at check-in. One is for your car and one is to keep with you after 8pm so you don’t get kicked out of the area after dark.

Everyone was very nice and helpful.

Excellent as always

This was my third trip to Pickens and it was amazing as always.

*Battery Cooper Rd was closed so those two batteries are inaccessible.

Everyone was very nice and helpful.

Diverse! Great trails, walking and mountain biking, fishing! History!

Good tent and off grid camp sites. Also a few hook up sites available. Even though it’s just a few miles to grocery, restaurants, and shopping once you’re inside the park you feel like you’re in the wilderness. Very secure and good fishing, hiking, biking, and historic battlefield to explore. Super friendly and helpful staff.

Nice state park

Spacious spots. Full hook ups. Nice pool and bathhouses. Bring a bike. Watch out for fire ants.

Cool to visit

I went here once as a kid and I remember it being cool to see the bunkers and stuff but there wasn’t much to do but it was close so I would go back for sure.. I do remember it being very spacious though.

AMAZING place!

From the second you enter the park, you feel like you are at a five star resort instead of a state park. The facilities are amazing. There is a pool, hiking trails, bike trails, beach, planned activities and more. It's beautiful and it's a huge complex. Our site was a pull through right on a swampy area. Within a few minutes we saw an alligator which sort of freaked us out but was totally cool at the same time. I suggest staying a week. You won't have time to see everything if you don't!

Tight

Nice little park, really tight for larger RVs, great location nice folks, great bay view.

Nice beach access

But, the RV section was very cramped. We were shocked by how close everyone was. Check-in, even with paying in advance, took forever since it is all done manually (i.e., handwriting EVERYTHING). No technology to speak of…even on-line reservations are non-existent. Staff was nice and accommodating, and bath house was new and clean. We only stayed a weekend. There's no way we would stay any longer than that being squeezed in there like sardines. If that doesn't bother you, then it's a great place to stay.

Nice RV Park

Nice RV Park pretty. The office staff was helpful on the phone before we arrived. Also friendly upon arrival. They a man to assist getting in the parking spot.

Great RV Park

This park is now a Yogi Bear Jellystone park. It is located in Elberta Al. The sites are gravel and dirt but they are level and very spacious. Great for RVs and large rigs.

It offers a great central location for Gulf Shores, Perdido or Pensacola. They have tons of activities for the kids. (Crafts, hay rides, s'mores and more)

Just a short drive to many attractions including (Old Fort Morgan, USS Alabama, Drum Submarine, Pensacola Air museum, two water parks, Barber Marina and more)

If you are looking for a peaceful setting in a central location. This is the place!

There are many good restaurants - here are some of our favorites. (Reileigh's - best breakfast at the gulf, Wolf Bay, Fisherman's Corner, GT's on the Bay, Perdido Pass Oyster bar, McGuire's in Pensacola.

Amazing

Beautiful peaceful RV Park. Clean. Great bathroom facilities washers dryers Great showers. Super nice people. Located near great places for kids to enjoy

Beautiful beaches

My husband and I tent camped at fort Pickens campground in February, 2019. We were able to use our senior national park pass to get in for free and a discount on our site. This is a busy park due to beaches and the actual old fort Pickens buildings, but the campsites were fairly peaceful. We were less than a 10 minute walk from the beach and walked about 30 minutes to the old fort. The showers were separate from the bathrooms and what you might expect for a beach, the water was nice and hot. There is supposed to be a store, but it was closed when we were there. There is a book store in the old fort. The beach and water were just beautiful.

Like a small city

This park is like a small city, there are over 500 sites, only 11 tent sites. My husband and I tent camped at gulf state park in February, 2019 and it was very nice, they have so many amenities here you don’t ever have to leave. If you were looking for solitude time, this is not the site for you. The bathrooms were nicer than some hotels I have stayed in. There is a store on site, tennis/pickle ball courts, swimming pool, activities center, horseshoe pit, nature center and over 25 miles of very nice hiking trails, oh yea, and less than a 20 minute walk to one of the best white sand beaches in the USA. Also playgrounds for kids. There is a laundromat and they have a church service and other scheduled activities.

Bad

Campsites are bad. To close together. Dogs roam free. Management is nor good. Other campers told us stories you won’t believe. Stayed one night and got a refund for the other. Privately owned with no help from KOA.

Awesomeness !

Gorgeous white sand beaches a short walk from the campground. Clean, great hot showers, level asphalt pads, water and electric, dump station on site. Campground IS dog friendly, although the beach is Not dog friendly. There’s a very small dog beach area (on leash only), a short drive away at Pensacola-west Beach ( clearly marked for dogs).

Good but not very private

We went tent camping for two nights with our pups at Fort Pickens and we really did enjoy it. The campground was nice and clean. They had nice showers and potties as well. The showers in the RV section have better shower heads btw. The beaches are gorgeous! A tip for travelers with pets, FL does not allow dogs on their beaches accept in specific "dog park" locations. Our dogs are not.. eh, normal .. so we ended up driving down to a private beach so they could enjoy the ocean. There is a lot of night life but We decided to skip that this trip. We enjoyed the beaches in the park at night and i highly recommend it! All in all we enjoyed our trip but we probably won't be back to Fort Pickens campground. The sites are very close together and we had a very nosey and drunk neighbor who really wanted to chat. We camp to get away from people, just saying. We were also bothered by RV and truck lights shining directly into our tent both nights from people driving through the campground. Not the best but we enjoyed camping at the beach.

RV Resort

The park is nice. I find it too expensive at $50 a night. Too expensive for my taste. The park is more like a resort. If that is your thing, this is your place.

Another Beautiful FL Park

What a beautiful and family-friendly park. It is only $20 a night with electricity and water at each site. The sites are roomy. Bathrooms are kept clean.

Quiet

RV sites are concrete pads with full hook up (power, water, sewer, WiFi, and cable). Most sites are a little closer together than we are used to. No fire rings at the RV sites. Tent sites do have fire rings, but no power or water. Bathhouse is large and very clean. Laundry facilities available. There is a community center building with TV, tables, and fire ring that hosted a dirty Santa and nightly BYOB happy hours while we were there, as well as a NYE Party planned. Staff and camp hosts are very friendly and helpful. Walking distance to the Pensacola Lighthouse and National Naval Aviation Museum. Dog friendly beach right at the campground. They do not allow swimming at this beach, but still fun for letting the dog run, fishing, and hanging out. Swimming beach and pool are located at other areas of the base. Reservations are site type, not site specific, but after talking with the staff they said they’d try to accommodate site requests the best they could when making reservation.

Great place to hike and learn about history

There are bathrooms and bath houses, fairly secluded campsites, along with 26 miles of trails which are easy to moderate with a flat surface.

You will walk through historic civil war sites, trails that were once the streets of the town of Blakeley. A beautiful hike on boardwalks along the Blakeley River then through a swamp on deep into woods amongst ancient oaks.

Fort Pickens Campground

It was a good place

Will stay again

We had heard great things about Gulf State Park. We were very pleased. The bath house was kind of old but very clean. I went to several of the bath houses on the property and all of them had been cleaned very well. We had to move from one site to be able to stay an extra night but well worth it. My son loved the pool. We liked the lounge chairs around the pool. The people in the office were great and very helpful.

Narrowest campground ever, but it works!

Check out the photo of the site map to see how narrow this campground is. Fortunately, it really doesn't feel that way when you're at your site. I thought it was a cozy feeling, and it didn't feel like lots of sites were crowded in a small area. Despite the small footprint of the campground, it was very quiet.

If you look at the site map, it looks like all the sites are back in sites that aren't very wide. That's not really what they look like…at all. We had site 68 and many campers on that side of the loop had parked a vehicle parallel to the road because some sites are actually longer along the road than deep. This is not a complaint…it works. We did pull our vehicle in beside our teardrop but could have parked parallel to the road. I've included photos of several sites to show how people set up.

Good Separation Between Sites: I liked the amount of separation with heavy brush between most sites. I preferred the sites on the outside of the loop.

Lots of Restrooms: This campground only has about 75 sites, and there are 3 restrooms (not counting the one in the group camp area). Two are handicapped accessible with concrete pads for sites 7, 8, 10, 56 and 57.  There are showers in each restroom.

Boats? Many people were able to fit a boat on their site, but there were also boats parked near the end of the loop in the area before the group camping area. I don't know if this area is open to everyone or just for hosts/volunteers.

Great Area for Easy Hiking: Sand Pine and Estuary Trails are 3.5 and 2 miles, respectively, but you can easily do a combination and cover it all. There's a tower out by Big Lagoon that's worth the view on a sunny day. We saw turtles, snakes and a heron while hiking, but no alligators.