Bay Minette, ALABAMA

Most Recent Bay Minette Camping Reviews
A beautiful place to visit

We are new to pulling an RV and this was one of our first to visit. This place is awesome. Good trails, excellent scenery an observation tower ….. The staff was very helpful and courteous. We even had a free concert at the out door theater. Only down side is no sewer connection which is not an issue for a short visit. We will visit again!

An Inviting Escape . . . Minutes To The Beach

Magnolia Farms RV Park is a clean, friendly place to stay!  It's super convenient being that it's minutes to Gulf beaches and a short 40 minute drive to Pensacola.  There are just so many fun and exciting things to do around the area.  There's an awesome clubhouse, fire pit, and grilling area to boot!

One of the best beaches I’ve ever been to

This campground is a hidden gem for those looking for a beach campground. There were less than 10 people at anytime on the beach the 4 days we were down here. The beach is a 5 minute walk or 2 minute bike ride from the tent sights and extremely secluded. You can walk to the beach or directly into an enormous bird sanctuary that has literally hundreds of species of birds. Bathrooms and facilities were clean, well kept and plentiful. I would like to come back to this campground with our pop-up instead of roof top tent just to have some AC at night. There is also a historical battle sight/fort and aquarium all within walking or bike riding distance. There are also numerous outstanding seafood restaurants nearby. Had arguably the best crab legs I’ve ever had in my entire life down here.

I would have given this campground 5 stars except we had an experience with a creepy homeless dude that wouldn’t leave us alone. The campground did have him arrested and taken off sight. And my only other complaint would be the check-in/departure process being super slow due to paper files and no technology to expedite the process. I would most certainly recommend checking this place out if you are looking for an affordable beach getaway!

I would have given this

Wonderful experience!

This was our first campground experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it! The lake is full of bream and each of my kids caught their first fish, definitely a memorable trip. We loved how peaceful it was, it was very clean and the staff were extremely friendly. Kids swam in the pool and played in the playground. We will be back!

Camping

Very friendly. Quiet. Very dark at night. Would like to have had some more light.

Beautiful Campground

This campground was beautiful! Lots of natural elements and wildlife. Plan ahead, they book up very fast especially for the summer months. We stayed in loop A. It was very sandy and had a lot of trees yet we weren't really shaded ever. Plenty of space but not all spots are easy to maneuver in to. Bring bug spray and sun screen. The beach is about a quarter of a mile walk each way but beautiful especially in the evening for sunset. If you like history the Fort Pickens site is worth it. Also, you can see the Blue Angels fly for free from the bay side of Fort Pickens but of it's something you really want to see I would suggest making the trip to the museum on the main land. Bring singles as there is a toll bridge.

Great, wonderful family oriented campground, repeat campers, Pet friendly

Wonderful, small family oriented campground with super helpful staff.  All most all the campers were repeat campers who made reservations for next year at same time. (I also made reservations for next year as well). We reserved a spot for a week and ended up staying 3 weeks.  Campground is situated on the bay with swimming, fishing, kayaking, sunnung, hiking, and socializing. Wonderful campground!

WOW!!!!!

We were excited to be able to grab a couple nights stay here and we were not disappointed. By far probably my family's favorite camp site ever and we've been to a lot. Pretty much right on the beach (white sand)! Not far from the forts and they are really awesome to go explore! Very private and away from any city lights and noise. Look ahead to book your spot, not a lot of sites with shade and it is nice to have. You will not be disappointed if you stay here!

Beautiful Island

Dauphin Island is an amazing place! The island is not very large, but has lots to do. There are several good restaurants, ice cream shops, a great seafood market called Skinners, where you can order fresh seafood from the steamer (we ordered crab legs twice during our stay 😋), parks, bike paths across the entire island, great fishing, a bird sanctuary, an Estuarium (similar to an aquarium), and beautiful white sand beaches, just to name a few!

We stayed at the Dauphin Island Campground in the tent area on site 8. The check in process was fairly time consuming , as it is all written out by hand. Check out is the same way, and they don’t take online reservations. The people in the office are amazing though, so it was ok!

The campground map is not accurate for site selection. We were first given site 5, which looked great on the map, but was not great for our rooftop tent. Also, there is no way to see the ocean from ANY site, so don’t think you’ll have ocean view. On the map I thought we might be able to have a glimpse of the Gulf, but not so. Site 8 was perfect for us, nice shady spot with view of the trees in the bird sanctuary. All tent sites have water and electric hookups. They do not allow anything to be hung from trees, including hammocks, so bring hammock stand if you plan to use them.

The RV sites are all pretty close to each other. The row nearest the bay has water views, but is also next to the road and auto ferry. Several long time residents stay at this campground, Possibly seasonal.

The restrooms/bathhouse was immaculate! They have a designated cleaning at 9-9:30 daily, and they were in excellent shape. There’s also laundry facilities on site. There’s a camp store, and a fish cleaning station, and playground as well.

Beach access is in the back of the campground near the tent sites, we took our bikes and that was the best way to get there. It took us less than a minute to be on the beach. The beach was fairly empty and that’s what we loved the most! Like having our own private beach. Take a cart to haul your chairs, umbrella, etc, or plan on packing it on your back like we did. The people who were fishing were catching fish the whole time, so if you enjoy fishing, this is a great spot.

We absolutely LOVED Dauphin Island, and will definitely return, but if we come back in the summer, we will bring the pop up tent so we can have A/C, as it is blazing hot!

You will not be disappointed!

We spent 3 nights at this resort in July while visiting our son and his family. This class A only resort is clean and beautiful. We had a lake view pad with full hook ups and seating area for $56.00 a night. You can upgrade and get a gazebo and/or fire pit as well. Beautiful zero entry infinity edge pool and gorgeous clubhouse with daily activities. 15-20 minutes from Gulf Shores AL and the beach! We will definitely be back!

Great Family Campground

This place is very cool.  I love the raised boardwalk style bike paths all over the place.  Our kids rode their bikes all over the place here.  You can also take a path to the beach or the pier.  Just a nice place.  We camped in a tent here…   but we were literally the only tent here that week.  Everyone was in an RV.  We have since purchased a pop up camper so we will return and fit in better lol…

Nice and clean

Great trails to walk, super nice showers and bathrooms. Wildlife is everywhere. Close to the naval base. Very nice staff. The board walk out to the observation tower is great for a stroll

So close to the beach

Amazingly beautiful campground. Not much to do other than walk across the road to the Gulf of Mexico!!!!! Clean bathrooms

Great stay

We stayed on the main road of the park and were concerned about a possible noise issue. We were pleased that after hours it was very quiet. Our spot was nice and flat but unfortunately no shade during the hot afternoon hours. We walked the trail system extensively and loved it. Also from our camper door to the beach was only 1.25 miles…..win from my standpoint. Used the laundry facility and was very impressed on the cost and cleanliness. Another win!!

Beautiful campground

This was one of the best places in the south I’ve camped. Sites were level, the park was beautiful, miles of biking/walking trails, a pool, close to the beach and pier. Full Hookups. Clean restrooms. Laundry. You could spend weeks here and not run out things to do.

You can camp there

Owner is really nice but are hardly ever there. Sites are small and crammed together. 2 bath houses one is always locked the other is moldy and hot due to no forced air ventilation. Could be really nice with a little effort.

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork XL at Gulf State Park

Campground Review:

Let me start by saying this is a very large park with a variety of campground options so I will do my best to first review the overall park then discuss each of the sites individually. The park sits alongside the gulf coast and has multiple access points to the beach. It also has an extensive paved trail network that is perfect for all kinds of activities including running, walking, and biking. While visiting the park we biked and explored the butterfly garden which I highly recommend. We also had the chance to visit the pier and the education center and everything is so well organized and taken care of. Overall, there is so much to explore you will definitely need multiple days worth of adventure. There are two major campground areas in the park and I will start by discussing the yurt option.

There are several yurts that are set up and organized for camping during certain parts of the year that each have 4 cots and a fire pit. There is also a large pump sink and a wild west looking shower in this area. If this option is available I would highly suggest checking it out. It is perfect for groups and provides a nice private area to spend your night away from the more crowded RV sites. This area is also centrally located and remote from the remainder of the park so you will have an incredible view of the night sky. The site is kept very clean and mostly covered in sand so it was wonderful to walk around barefoot. Finally, although you will have to bike or hike to get to these sites there is already firewood available for purchase so you won’t have to carry that in with you.

The tent/RV area is very large and has a variety of amenities that will make your stay very enjoyable. Overall, it is on the slightly more expensive side for a campground but provides easy access to the beach and is significantly less than many of the nearby hotels. One thing I really liked was that they have created a separate area for tent-only sites from the combined tent/RV spaces. This gives you a slightly more rustic experience if that is what you look for. On top of all the usual features, they have a pool and picnic areas that campground guests can use and don’t forget to stop by the wildlife education center. You can also join in for one of the rangers led educational walks to see wildlife around the park

………………………..

**Product Review:** As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tried out the Morsel Spork XL. After eating several meals using this innovative spork some of my favorite features are:

1. Length: I got the long-handled spork to be able to use it both for regular campground meals on plates or bowls and also with backpacking meal bags and eating out of cookware which each has its own needs in terms of reachability. However, until I opened the package I didn’t imagine just how long the XL spork was and this was very exciting to see. I haven’t had a camping tool that provides nearly as much reach as the Morsel Spork. Besides the obvious use of reaching to the bottom of a dehydrated backpacking meal bag, the long spork is also incredibly helpful for not burning yourself while cooking in deep pots or stirring large meals without worrying about getting your hands dirty.
  2. Multi-edged spoon: The spork spoon end is designed to have both a rounded edge and a sharp-angled edge both with a flexible rubber edging. This makes it even more multifunctional by allowing it to clean any remaining food out of all types of pots and bowls. I found this was helpful to enjoy every last bit of our delicious camping food and made clean up so much easier. Its such a simple design idea but makes such a huge difference in practice.
  3. Durability: I loved how lightweight the plastic material was but also didn’t ever worry about it snapping or breaking during use or in my backpack. They used a strong but slightly flexible plastic that won’t easily snap in half but also can withstand heavy use in tough foods. We were able to use the spork to cut through hard cheeses and also mix rice dishes. The curved shape of the long handle gives it extra strength and they even designed it to be washed in the dishwasher when you get home. Overall, this is the best spork I have ever used and has even become part of my daily lunchbox. When you use it to eat while camping you can quickly tell the amount of thought that went into engineering each aspect and finding the way to make it not only effective but also last you many years of adventure.
First, but not last time visiting.

This place is awesome! My husband and I do a lot of camping and this is, by far, one if our new favorites. It is quiet, clean, friendly staff and lovely views of the bay. There are boardwalks to explore, photographs to be taken, alligators to be seen, fishing to be done, relaxing and having a good time to be had. We love this place!

Gulf state park

Loved this park. Kids love the splash pad Bigs sites Food trucks Site store Boat ramps Nice pool Access to the beach And between gulf shores and orange beach. Conveniently located to everything

Beautiful park, so many things to do!

We stayed 4 nights at Gulf State Park, over the 4th of July, 2019. We made the reservations online, and would have done better to have made them a few months earlier, so that we could have insured more shade for our site. But, we could see the lake across the road, and we were really close to the air conditioned bath house/restrooms, and within a short walk from the swimming pool, nature center, lily pond, camp store, air conditioned laundry, tennis courts,swings, etc. It was a pretty good site, if lacking good shade. There was a camp dog show, a poster contest, a bicycle decorating parade/contest, and an ongoing day camp for the kids (seemed to be Christian based, and we didn’t have time to check it out). The beach is not close enough to walk, but you drive to a parking lot and walk out on the boardwalk next to a pavilion which has restrooms, and an outdoor shower to help you get rid of sand. Waves are pretty calm, so older kids a can enjoy it without having to have an adult holding them. Nice afternoon breezes. When we needed medical care for a problem, the staff were very helpful in telling us which place would be best for our needs. Friendly staff all round. We all felt very safe in this campground.

Peaceful park

We just stayed one night while passing through. It was peaceful and historical. Nice size site. Clean bathrooms and individual locking showers on the back side of the bath house.

Wonderful

If you like riding your bike, fishing or going to the beach this is a great campground. Typical state park shower houses but clean. We stay here a couple time a year and are never bored.

Not what I was hoping for.

I have come to expect a much nicer RV park from a KOA this park we were on nothing but grass with no shade in sight. Good fishing pier but in need of repairs. Bath house not airconditioned but reasonably clean. Pool was nice but very crowded.

Hidden Gem!

Great family friendly RV Resort!  Staff will go out of their way to make sure you have an enjoyable stay.  Located in the Intracoastal Waterway,  they have a raised beach where you can sit and enjoy the ships passing through.  Facilities are clean and frequently attended to.  Pool is heated/chilled depending on the weather. Short drive (2 minutes) to the Gulf beaches and Johnson Beach.

Cheap camping

Good campsites with lots of trails and hiking. Very nice open field and playground. Very well kept and maintained. There is a river with a beach and a swimming area. You can rent canoes. Only downsides are you have to go through some pretty shady areas to get there. They also do not allow alchohol or firearms even if you have a ccl. The canoe rentals go quick since the river beach area is for everyone not just campers. If you want peaceful camping in the woods for cheap this is it.

MEH at best.

If your looking for a quick over night stop this is it. Stayed for Father's Day weekend and was not impressed for what I have seen from other KOA's. Getting set up was a pain because the escort took me the wrong way and ended up facing the wrong way. Had drive around the park again which has some tight turns for campers over 30 feet. Reservation was for a 30 amp hookup but the site only had a 50. They did loan me a step up adapter which was nice. If you can get the site's closer to the entrance those are the good ones with more room but no shade. Sites are cramped here in some spots. There was a couple activities going on each night. There are a lot of cabins to rent here and they do have premium sites with decks. Being on the water is not a true statement if you have an rv or travel trailer. There are a couple of cabins and some tent camping only. Will not make a second trip.

Fits all your basic needs and beautiful views

This campground has large sites with both 30 and 50 amp hook ups. The sites are level concrete pads but they have this crazy ant that you have to prepare for. Bring borax or baking soda to protect your rigs from these ants.

It’s nestled next to Battleship Parkway and makes for an easy jaunt into Mobile to get dinner or check out some of the local brews/night spots. Or you can travel down the bay to check out some of the little towns along the way.

Pets are allowed but caution for the ant bait/killer stuff  on the trees/etc.

Very nice

Enjoyed my time. Pool, fishing. Older RV park but doing some renovations .. staff was very friendly .

Family friendly and beginner friendly

We spent the weekend at the Lodge (incredible, by the way, and commendable for being so sustainable!) and was so impressed by the entire park. Lots of trails, lakes, and ocean front beaches. In a red state where environmentalist practices can be hard to come by, the park does an excellent job of keeping nature in tact. The lodge is great, but there are water front cabins and cottages, back country platform tents, car-accessible tent spots and RV spots. Definitely bring bikes and kayaks…and bug spray. Pro tip: you don’t have to be a guest of the Lodge to use their pool, beachfront or restaurants!

Awesome Place to Camp!

GSP has become a yearly destination for our family! The park is really nice and plenty to do for all. Pad sites are blacktop, full hookup. Miles and miles of trails to walk or ride, wildlife galore, fresh water lakes within the park to fish, close to great surf fishing and not to mention nice beaches to waste away on! If you can’t find something to your liking at GSP, you aren’t trying very hard!