The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Anthem , WEST VIRGINIA

Most Recent Anthem Camping Reviews
Can't beat free

This tiny gem of a campground is actually quite decent. Each site is furnished with a small fire ring and picnic table. The fire rings do not have a grill grate. The pit toilets in the restroom are "fragrant" when you enter the women's side of the building but not so terribly that they can't be used. My friend did gag upon entering the men's room. There are designated wastewater areas to dump grey water, but you'll have to bring your own water for drinking, washing, etc. There are no electric hookups.

As others have mentioned, there is a gun range nearby and you can hear occasional firing. Helicopter traffic at night was a slight distraction from the otherwise quiet night I spent here.

There is an easy orange-blazed trail behind site 10 but as of this writing, a there are several downed trees blocking the trail a good distance in.

I'd definitely stay again.

November camping was bad

We stayed here November 21, 2020 (in the midst of Covid).

The campground had no water hookups, about 90% of the sites were not level (and….I mean by A LOT).

We were one of the only people in the campground, so we ended up just moving to one of the more level campgrounds.

It's a cute campground, but a lot of the RV spots are unlevel up a hill, so backing in would be a hassle. Wouldn't stay here again.

Unique "Dispersed" Camping

Stayed: 9/6/2020 - FREE

Site: Left fire pit facing toilet

This campground is the equestrian Kinderhook Trailhead within Wayne National Forest.

I didn't know what to expect for a dispersed campground at a trailhead. We pulled in and there was one couple setup at a designated site (picnic table and fire pit). As we drove around the trailhead, we found a second designated site. The forest website says dispersed camping is allowed and fires are allowed with a 10 foot clearance and a ring of rocks. So when we pulled up and saw picnic tables and fire pits provided, I was a little confused. I'd assume you'd also be allowed to create your own site, if the two designated sites are taken. There's not a ton of room, but I'd say another 5 sites could setup and be somewhat spread out. It is an open area, so there wouldn't be physical privacy, although the tall trees provide shade.

With it being an equestrian trail, there were a lot of horses and trailers throughout the day. Before sunset, everyone cleared out and only campers remained.

One vault toilet and perfect AT&T and Sprint cell service.

DareToEverywhere

Relaxing camping

It is a very well maintenance campsite most have fire pits a lot of level ground for tent camping pull in parking spots for RVs and campers a bathroom on site and two different trails to hike fishing minutes away the gun rage is also near (the gunshots don’t bother me) must register when you arrive at the box attached to the bathroom building can’t beat it for FREE

An amazing campground.

There's trails for horseback riding (your own), fishing areas, kayak area, with nice padded sites.

Old Barn and Cabin

The camp store is an old log cabin so instantly I liked this park. This is set up with a whole section for horse camping with tie outs and trailer/truck sites. Lots of bridle trails and a really quiet park. Also a nice dam and beach area. One of the only parks we have stayed at that offers a place to put your recycling. Normally we take it home so it still gets recycled. They have a putt putt course but it’s really dated and not kept up. This didn’t bother us but some might use it. They also had a nice place to launch boats in the campground.

Looking for a free camp this one is it

All paved sites with picnic tables. Most have fire rings. All free but you must fill out a registration card. There are pit toilets and a water pump. The ranger comes by everyday to collect registration cards.

Small, cute, a-ok

This is a smaller state park. There is a lake (one of the smallest I've seen in a state park), some trails and a small campground. The spaces are pretty spread out, which is very nice. There is a big equestrian camping area, which is cool. If you kayak, you could spend about two hours exploring the different bends in the lake.

We stayed in the camper cabins, which are right at the edge of the campground- we could hear the freeway (I-70) the entire time. It even woke us up at night. The cabins have a view of the dumpsters and the dump station- not the prettiest view.

There are pit toilets, which are never great, but the ones nearest us had newish buildings, the first I've seen in Ohio state parks. The buildings themselves were clean, but the toilets were icky and needed to be hosed down. I never went in the shower house so I don't know if it was clean or not.

The worst part about our experience was that there was a group of cows somewhere nearby that were moaning in distress all of Saturday, Saturday night and Sunday morning. I enjoy agricultural sounds- the sound of a cow mooing every once in a while would make me happy. But these cows were bleating and moaning as if they were in danger. When it continued after sundown, I started worrying about them, so I googled it. It turns out that in the mid fall (when we were there), calves get taken away from their mothers, and the mothers will cry out in distress for days at a time. I wish I hadn't googled it. The sound was SO LOUD and so distressing. It drowned out any sound of owls or coyotes or anything else all night long- these cows were deafening.

So, I won't be back. Not much to do there once you've seen it, unless you camp with your horses- then I think it would be good.

Been here a few times

Has 50 amp and nice hiking trails. Oglebay comes out and has star gazing when it's in season. Clean and quiet.

Southeastern Ohio

The state park is on the smaller side and a few updates are needed but, this campground was really sweet.  The updates needed bathrooms, the pads need to be slightly wider, maybe an overflow lot.  Vault type toilets, the pad was narrow so you had to pay attention when exiting the camper, most of the site are on a hill…there are a handful flatter spaces.  Now the good you can camp along with your horses.  First camp we’ve been to with horses along side of your camper.  Very cool!  The trails are mostly for all horses, humans, and snowmobiles.  With the rain we’ve had this spring (19’) trails very muddy and challenging at spots we loved it.