Green Mountain National Forest, VERMONT
Camping Vermont Green Mountain National Forest
Most Recent Green Mountain National Forest Camping Reviews
Gasoline generators from morning to night

Saw Hapgood Pond was well reviewed so just went for 2 nights. The site across the way ran a generator midday for3 hours each day. One site down and across a large RV ran their generator from 7 to 10 am or so and again from 4 to 9 pm. These folks never stepped outside their RV. 1 mile trail and day use swimming and boating area. Pit toilets. Showers at day use area at pond. No firewood available. No campground office but host volunteer updates tags on site numbers showing free or reserved.

Gorgeous Lake George

Truly the Queen of the American lakes. Crystal clear you can see the bottom even in deep water. Campground is huge but well kept and quiet considering the amount of sites Sites near Rt 9 can hear road noise They offer moorings for watercraft Fireplace was in bad repair Many bathrooms and several shower houses that are in good repair Site 132. not on water Water pic from day use area Cell service on north end of campground but spotty

Highway noise galore

Nice sites, way to close to Northway. I'm longing for home, for peace and quiet. Which is why I like camping. For quiet, it's hard to have a conversation without the need to shout or repeat what you said over the traffic. It doesn't die down overnight. There are so many other campgrounds to go to. I unfortunately will not come back here again. It is clean, not many campers.

Clean and Friendly

The Whippoorwill Motel and Campsites is an amazing quaint place to stay while visiting Lake George and the Adirondacks! We stayed here two nights at the beginning of August(2019) and couldn't have had a better experience. The new owners took over just two months prior, so they are busy doing upgrades to the camp office and store and around the campground. The upgrades being made did not impact the quality of camp sites or other facilities.

Additionally, the personal attention provided by Will and his father made us feel like regulars. Will's father greeted me by name every time he saw me and would stop what he was doing to chat. We stayed at one of the full hookup sites during this visit.

There are less than 50 total sites in the campground and only a hand-full had full hookups. Most did have water and electric. The sites are VERY Level, good sized, close, but spacious enough to have an enjoyable stay without being on top of each other. The cottages and motel looked nice from the outside. There is a nice sized and landscaped swimming pool, game room, and large community fire pit to enjoy. The location of the campground is ideal. Only two miles south of Lake George and a few miles north of the Outlet Mall. Another amenity is the paved bike path that goes along the back of the campground and runs between Lake George and Glen Falls. This was a great amenity and can help avoid all the traffic at Lake George by riding bikes into town. Overall this was a great place to stay to explore the area. Being smaller in size meant less traffic and noise, but didn't mean less enjoyment. The campground and buildings were well maintained and conveyed a welcoming atmosphere. The one area where Whippoorwill is lacking is the camp store/office, but this is the area they are currently updating so I expect great things in the future. We look forward to returning in the future.

Can’t beat the price

If you like camping without a lot of extras, this is a good choice. We stayed here for the ADK Balloon Festival in September twice. Pros: cost and close to town. Cons: small sites (my pic is of 2 sites together), loud! We had people party all night both times we were there. Also a truck pulled in late and just parked next to our tent site and left by 5 am so it was used as a rest stop and they were loud. The cannon from the fort and the music from the MinneHaHa also added to the ambiance. We won’t be going back as it doesn’t have electric at the sites but if you are a bare bones camper and don’t mind loud neighbors, it may work for you.

Huge campsites lakeside

I couldn't believe how large the lots were. While they arent super far from one another, they are large enough that they seem further than they are. Nice beautiful wooded area, we were able to put a tent and hang a hammock for sleeping. Price was very reasonable. The bathroom closest to us was having a running water issue, but it wasn't a big deal for us the lean too lots looked nice too if you're looking for coverage. It was a little close to the road, but it isnt a major road so I looked at it like a reasonable alarm clock. The lot was freshly raked and there really wasn't anything we didn't like about the site. Campfire pit had a grill!

Disneyworld atmosphere

I have been coming to Lake George escape for 15 years now and I have watched it's transformation from a family run business to a corporate campground. I loved when it was smaller operational wise, It had a more rustic appeal to it , the camp store was small and just had a dated vibe about it. That being said it's become a big operation now. They offer everything now , it really is like being at Disney. The daily schedual for the kids it's non-stop all day , they rent golf carts ,kayaks , pedal carts, canoes .They have cabin rentals , pool , a restaurant ,bar , dancing. It's perfect if you prefer glamping but you can also get a site off grid at the same time. You need to see there website to get a full picture of it.

First tent camping experience

This was a great place to start our camping adventures. Friendly staff and helpful pointing out places to hike. Site was clean and quiet. Bathrooms were clean and showers were hot. A pleasant treat after hiking.

Beautiful location in VT.

Amazing Hike! Great Campground

This is a short and sweet hike to one of the higher points in Vermont. It is a beautiful scenic (somewhat strenuous) hike to the summit. The views are pretty epic though. The designated primitive camping area is about 1.5 miles into the hike. If I recall it had about 10-12 sites. The area had a host who was there 24/7 and a shared area for eating and food storage (I guess Bear’s are a problem there). We hiked all day, so we didn’t have a fire and to be honest I can’t remember if there was a shared spot for them or not. Either way, this hike was gorgeous and so was the camping. I would love to go back!

The best in Northeast

This is the best RV resort I have visited. The whole family will love, including pets. I can't do justice to the dog park, it has to be the best dog park in USA.

Everything you want in an RV park. The only think missing is a large lake but you can take trolley to Lake George. You set up and will not need your car until you leave.

Trolley through the park and to Lake George. Awesome camp store. Tennis, pickle ball, basketball. Movies, pools, splash pad, trails, fishing pond, food & ice cream. The list goes on. A must stay.

Great place

Love this place I’ve been here more then one twice with a tent and once in a cabin

Had a great time

Stayed there this past week and it was great the beach is nice beautiful views and even caught a few bass large and smallmouth

Large sites, planned activities, minutes from lake George

Campground has large full hook up campsites and plenty of them. Each site is mostly level and seems private with having greenery around each site. There are planned activities each day like limbo, scavenger hunts, movie night at the pool( in summer months) and a great pool to swim in with two water slides. At $96/ night it is pricey, but still less expensive than staying at a hotel resort. Bonus is you camp in July, there are raspberry bushes throughout the park!!

Great small park

Only 8 campsites, dispersed in the trees. $23/night. Picnic table and fire pit. Moderate cell service. Nice hikes and cool views of the area!

Small, quiet, private

We recently stayed five nights here and although it wasn’t the best campground for us (lack of sites on the water, which we were aware of), this was a very pleasant experience. The deer flies were horrible everywhere but in our site. The bathrooms were always clean, the showers were always clean and the campground as a whole was ALWAYS CLEAN. We spent a day on the ponds (Putnam & North Pond are connected) and it is beautiful. The water is cool, clean and beautiful. If you are into roughing it, the remote sites are worth a stay, especially the one on the island (I think it’s R5). Running through the campground are several hiking trails and they are worth it. Heart pond and Bear pond were nice, but unspectacular. Rock pond on the other hand was great. Take the yellow trail through the sites to the Rock pond lean-to. Along the pond there are great views and potential swimming locations. Take the red trail around and you will come across the old graphite mine, which was cool to look at it’s remnants. If you bring along a strong flashlight, you may be able to go in the shaft a bit. We did not, due to only having a cell phone for light. You can follow the red trail around Rock pond, where it will connect back to the yellow trail and back to the campground. The red trail is a more challenging way back, but should have spectacular access to parts of Rock pond. There were several other trails as well, but due to the weather I could not hike them.

Overall, this is an excellent campground for hiking and a great, peaceful stay. The ponds are beautiful and if you bring your own boats, you don’t have to pay the $20 rental and can spend your days on the ponds.

Campground staff was friendly and always available. Enjoy your stay!

Super quiet and clean!

The place was packed but you wouldn’t know it. So peaceful. The pool was very cold but spotless, which was surprising since there’s pine trees all around. We would definitely go back. Only side note would be that if we brought our kids, ages 8, 16 and 19, they might be a little bored. But I guess they can stay home 😂

Great campsite, great pool. Cafe service is horrendous. Preachy.

The goods:

Campsites are the largest and most private I've ever seen. Fantastic. Good privacy.

Dunno why others are complaining about the 3 rocks as a fire pit. Plenty functional and directs the heat out towards the seating area.

The pool is as good as it looks in the pictures. Your kids will be here every day and love it. The deepest the pool gets is around 4 feet. There are 2 slides and they are pretty well monitored.

The check in staff and the store staff are great. Very helpful. The camp store is pretty well stocked.

The needs improvement:

The café staff are completely incompetent. I went through 3 people to find someone that spoke English. A very basic order of 2 slushies took over 20 minutes and they were both wrong. I watched the same thing happen to the next 4-5 families while my kids drank their slushies. It has a ton of potential but terrible execution. I tried again a day or two later and bought some lunch, it took an hour and the order was wrong.

The playlist at the pool area seems to alternate between Jimmy buffett / Bob marley (great!) and a 5 year old's sunday school religious kid songs (wth??). Super annoying. Combine that with the pamphlets handed out at check-in, it's a little preachy. Save that for church, I'm here to camp, Thank you.

Nice riverfront sites; fairly secluded;

right on the paradox river; they rent tubes ; they have a heated pool, a couple different playgrounds and an arcade for those rainy days. Only downside is they only have one bathroom with showers; and the rest are porta-potties

Fun

Lots to do at this campground. A bit tight on sites but so many activities make up for it

One of our favorite campgrounds

We stay here every year for 10 days. Nice quiet clean campground. Beautiful sites.

It was alright

The campground isn’t bad however there’s not much to do in the area unless you want to take a 20-30 minute drive. Campground probably isn’t suitable for kids as they have zero activities. It was a good campground for a quick weekend getaway but not a place I’d want to spend more than a couple days at.

Heaven

This is without a doubt my favorite place to camp. The people are great, the river is as fun as it gets no matter the season and the new owners went out of their way to assure we had a great stay.

Really nice semi-remote campground

Great tent camping area with good privacy at sites. Would be tough for any but the tiniest RV. No water. Well maintained, and nice access to trails right from the campground.

Great campsite!

We pulled in in the middle of memorial day weekend. The place was sold out. Staff was super friendly and had us check in on no time. The campground loses a start only because when it's at full capacity, it is very cramped. Some sites are much bigger than others and have more space though. The Schroon River run right through the campgrounds and you can rent kayaks and canoes or bring your own to go a ride. There is a little beach and just launch on site. The bathrooms are very nice and all individual with a toilet and shower in one. Another downside of you're more full-time is there is no laundry on site. You're 4 miles away from Lake George's downtown which is a great area. Plenty of nearby hikes. Each campsite had a BBQ-like fire pit. Campground has a very nice basketball court, pool and playground. Dog friendly and even we were there it looks like their looking to expand and make more sites. Only one cabin available at the moment.

On the shore of Champlain

Stayed here 1 night in June. Quiet out of the way state park on the shore of Lake Champlain. Rangers were ridiculously nice. Sites were big and grass covered; but without many trees for hammocks. Fire rings and tables at each site. Central bathroom and water supply. Beautiful sunset overlooking the lake.

Beautiful and quiet

Beautiful campground in south central Vermont.  On a lovely emerald green small lake with nice beach. Good for fishing and kayaking.  Well kept. Was very quiet when we visited though I suspect it's much busier in mid summer.  Near Manchester, which has numerous great restaurants and a fabulous bookstore.

HUGE sites!

The sites are very large and clean. The kids loved the pool. No internet connectivity in most areas. Clean campground. Plenty to do in the local area.

Favorite campground in NY!!!

Me and my family go here at least twice a year. Its our favorite getaway spot. The campsites are nice and secluded but extremely spacious which is a very rare combination. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Great location within a short driving distance from Lake George.

You get what you pay for!

This was absolutely a top notch park. Everything was pristine and we'll maintained. The campground was completely full and we had zero issues with amenities or unruly campers. Every facility was beautiful. We didn't even have to leave the park because there was always something to do. We rented a golf cart from an outside course which was SUPER expensive, so it would be nice if the campground offered their own rentals, but if that's our only complaint, we're happy campers. Our favorite part was the dog park. I've never seen anything like it and wish we had access to something like this everywhere. We we're on site 58 which backed up to the splash park. It was one of the largest sites we've ever stayed in. The sand/dirt was a bit of a nuisance but not a deal breaker. The water/electric was positioned perfectly that we could have gotten away with using 5 foot connections. The garbage cans on every site was a wonderful addition which they empty everyday for you. Love, love, loved it here. We will return!

Good. Questionable clientele

Beautiful lake, good sized and well kept campgrounds. We went over memorial day, and the campers were extremely noisy until the early hours drinking. Not sure if representative of the experience, or just the weekend we were here, but would think twice.