Green Mountain National Forest, VERMONT
Most Recent Green Mountain National Forest Camping Reviews
Our favorite campground!

, Spacious, wooded sites, super clean…friendly, helpful owners and gorgeous setting! Lots to do too

Lake St. Catherine in the heart of the Slate Valley recreation area.

Lake St. Catherine state campground is located in the heart of the Slate Valley. There are 50 tent/rv sites and 11 leantos.  This lake is known by anglers and boaters alike. Plentiful mountain bike trails are being developed all over this area. Pine hill in Rutland, and the Endless brook trails top the list of systems in the area to check out. The campground in secluded on the lake and has an excellent beach. Facilities are well maintained, and there is a nature center. People looking for a good place to hang out and grab so food should check out Castleton, situated atop the lake. This college town is bustling with life. Need more? Rutland is a half hour drive east, with Killington another half hour past there. Lots more to do here too. Come check it out.

TRAFFIC WOES

When we first drove up I almost turned around. But, we had our reservation and there were none local available for full hookups. Driving in, the office was kind of run down. On the way to our site, we passed the "pool". Green, thick, and nasty - seriously! There are many trees, which is nice. BUT, the sites big enough for our camper were difficult to get into, and right next to seasonal campers. These people had so much stuff surrounding them, it was weird. (My opinion ) Painted rocks, knomes, plastic deer, pigs, knick knacks EVERYWHERE. The people were nice, but.. We were at site 212, and were here for 3 night. We had a family function, so leaving was not an option. The Northway was directly to the west , maybe 1000 ft through the woods, extremely loud traffic noise.

Small campground

This is a small campground. Some are first come first serve sites. A couple are walk in. Most are right along the loop and have easy access. Small campers and tents are best here. There are pit toilets around the loop. There are showers at the bathhouse at the beach. There is two pavilions for rent. There is a small pond with beach area where you can swim or boat in non motorized boats. There a trail around the pond. Fishing is also allowed here. Very nice clean park.

Little River is a must-do

Little River is one of my favorite campgrounds ever! A group of friends and I decided to get one last camping trip in before winter hit - and we came across Little River on this website. Most sites were taken (as they usually are) so plan your stay well in advance. I'd recommend sites 26 (where we stayed), 27, 40, 51, 77 and 81. There's also a few easy historical hiking trails within the campground if you don't feel like leaving for a whole day to hike! For those who stay up late to stargaze - getting down to the reservoir at night can be a little tricky - but its worth it to see the moon/stars reflect on the water.

Can’t get enough!

My wife and I went here for our first ever camping experience together when we started dating. We had a small tent, it ended up raining most of the trip, we got soaked. The staff at the campground were so nice, they let us change into one of their cabins. They are such a nice addition to their campground, allowing you to have more space but still be in the wilderness. Since then we’ve been back two other times and would go back in a heartbeat. The reservoir is beautiful and it’s close enough to great food and drink in town.

Love!!

Stayed in May and August 2018. Absolutely beautiful and CLEAN campground. Shaded and full sun site options as well as rental units if you don't have an RV. Boating pond, fishing pond, playgrounds, cafe/ice cream store, nightly weekend entertainment at their playhouse, new waterpark and two pools, tennis courts, laundry facilities, huge store, firewood and a trolley in the park. There is also another trolly to the village of Lake George, Great Escape and the outlet center. Bike trails throughout with a connection to the local bike trails leading to Lake George and Glens Falls area. Best part- the 2 acre dog park with shaded seating for humans , bathrooms and a dog wash station.

Family campground

Owners are very friendly and helpful. Has seasonals, tent sites and RV sites. The swimming pool is very inviting and the bathrooms are always attended to. The one thing we loved the most was that the kids could ride their bikes around safely. We also found out that one weekend each summer they close the campground down to the public and fill all the sites with military families. They treat these families to free camping, activities to keep the kids busy and all of their meals for free!

Primitive, woodsy full hookups!

Awesome owners with a small campground! Swimming pond and pool. Small Playground. Pull through, back in, tent sites.. we go here every memorial day for their 1 set of awning to awning sites with our camping buddies!

Quiet relaxing and kid/animal friendly place

Had a amazing time with y family…. Quick trip to the village of Lake George

Very clean

All kinds of sites

Secluded and quiet

Nice place to get away from it all. Very wooded and private sites. Many have lean-tos and brick ovens.

Mix of nice tent sites and an RV area

I stayed right on the river in site 14 with a small popup. The river is beautiful and the site was huge. We did some fishing and swimming. I get the feeling the other end of the campground with the RVs is not as nice and can be loud, but you can avoid it by staying on the tent side.

Our favorite

Beautiful campground. Lush grass meadows. 2 rivers intersect in the campground. Most sites are on or just off the river. Huge volleyball and sports meadow. Nice pavilion. There is a small group of camp sides with electricity and water but most sites have none. The bathrooms are clean. Where the two rivers intersect is a nice sport to put your feet in the water. Kids enjoy tubing the small rapids. We go for 2 weeks most every summer.

Clean, quiet

Nice sites. Clean bathrooms

I'd live here

Easily my favorite campsite in the Northeast! Operated by the Green Mountain Club caretaker who lives onsite, this campsite costs only $5 per person per night. There's a big 3-wall cabin with room for at least 12, several tent platforms, and there's even a composting privy (#2 only)!! The pond is surprisingly warm for its altitude and it's home to two Common Loons. Water is available at a creek and a spring nearby. There's a huge jumping rock on the far side of the pond.

Wonderful location

A very scenic place to stay. We will be going back here next year!

Beautiful Scenic views

Go just for the views. It was a wonderful place to stay, just for the views alone. Well worth the trip.

Beautiful campground among rolling hills of Vermont

Although many of the sites here are set up to accommodate large RVs and other trailers, there are also more secluded sites up the hill with trees. This campground has more of a resort feel, with a small pond for swimming, basketball, volleyball, etc. This is a terrific place to enjoy the dark sky and fall foiliage. The bathrooms are exceptionally clean and comfortable.

I chose to stay here while I was finishing up the VT 4000-footers because it was midway between the trails for Mt Ellen/Abram and Killington.

One note of interest: this campground requires RVs to have an RVIA certificate; that excludes different homemade campers and school-bus conversions.

A great place for families and friends.

A great wooded location. On the river. Lots of great hiking trails.

Quiet and Private

Before hiking Mount Ascutney, we camped in the state park of the same name. We hiked the Weathersfield Trail (2.9 miles from trailhead to summit). It was a challenge, but well worth it. There were several lookout points with spectacular views. I highly recommend it!

We arrived around 7pm for a weekend stay. The ranger station was closed, but the rangers were kind enough to leave a note on a whiteboard for all the campers with reservations arriving late. The note reminded everyone of their campsites, and included a map that showed where each specific site was. It was very helpful! The campground is very wooded and dark, so without this map it would have been even more difficult to find our site!

Due to the looming threat of thunderstorms, we chose a lean-to site. Each sturdy lean-to was equipped with a broom to sweep out any leaves/dirt/debris that had accumulated in there. All sites included a fire ring and picnic table. There were some dated, but clean restrooms. There were coin-operated hot showers that were reasonably priced ($1 for 10 min). The campground also sold firewood ($6 for a good-sized bundle) and ice ($2 for a 5lb. bag) which can be purchased at the ranger station.

One aspect of this campground that I loved was the privacy. Due to the spacing between sites, and all the trees, it was quiet and peaceful. The campground couldn't have been more than a third full, but I bet it would still be quiet if it were more populated.

I really enjoyed my stay at Mt. Ascutney State Park Campground, and would love to return!

Beautiful camping site

Really great place for camping. you can rent boats or kayaks, or bring your own. A very calming place and a great place to camp.

Friendly staff at an older site

The owners were wonderful and kind. The site did have some low hanging branches which made it hard at times to bring in a trailer. Other than that one complaint though it was a lovely location!

Really fun place to camp

It was really neat getting to camp on an island like this. I didn't see any turtles though which was disappointing. Very calming place all around. We would love to go back!

Close to the lake, great site

I loved staying here. Right by the river and really close to the lake. Great place for kayaking and being on the water. A very quiet and calming place.

Great location right by the lake

We really enjoyed staying here. Wonderful campsite and very scenic! Would definitely go back.

This is a great place for the whole family

This is one of our favorite places to camp in Vermont. The sites are fairly private without being built too close together. Lake is clean and has a great concrete dock that the kids love to jump off. They have boat rentals and nature tours on the lake led by the state park faculty. When the kids get tired from swimming they're a nice beach area and playground.

Adults only, comfortable but lacking excursions

Lazy Lions is a comfortable campground with an adults-only policy. Having spent time in plenty of campgrounds with screaming or unwinded children, I could see this as a positive draw for the RV'ing crowd. I think we were the only tent campers the night we stayed.

Our tent site was level and on comfy plush grass, well maintained and either a beautiful addition of two (plastic) adirondack chairs at our fire pit with grill. This was especially welcome because we hadn't really planned on cooking but when we saw the great fire set up not only did we save time and energy by not having to take out (and put away!) our camping chairs, I was able to turn our chips and salsa into nachos using some amazing Vermont cheese we'd picked up earlier. My boyfriend has declared this was his favorite camping meal ever so thanks Lazy Lions for the unexpected awesomeness.

Our check in was smoothe, there was plenty of room at this campground, perhaps due to the fact that there isn't too much to do other than set up and sleep. It did have a pool.

On check in we found the front desk (owner?) to be less than warm, and at $7 to firewood a little pricey. We were warned to be careful with our food because of "critters" and when I asked what kind of critters the man responded, "all of them". Less than helpful. In hindsight we believe we found bear scat on our site.

We slept well, bathroom facilities were clean and well stocked. Showers, which we did not use, we $0.25 for four minutes. There was a microwave and wash sink as well for dishes, we didn't use either.

We met lovely people and had a fine night, there was just nothing particularly special about the place

Nice large spacious sites

Attended the Adderondack Baloon festival, stayed here for 3 nights, it was off season so the pool was closed. Pretty much every site was nice & private. Some friends came for a 2 hour visit & had to pay a $12/per person visiting fee. Wicked UNREASONABLE , we've camped a lot I've never seen the fee so high especially for off season, there's nothing to do so why such a high fee, I don't get it.

great campground but a bit isolated

The grounds were beautiful! nice clean restrooms and showers, a few playgrounds, and nice trails. Only downside for us was bad phone signal and everything seemed far away, like Walmart was an hour away!