Bennington, VERMONT
Most Recent Bennington Camping Reviews
Gasoline generators from morning to night

Saw Hapgood Pond was well reviewed so just went for 2 nights. The site across the way ran a generator midday for3 hours each day. One site down and across a large RV ran their generator from 7 to 10 am or so and again from 4 to 9 pm. These folks never stepped outside their RV. 1 mile trail and day use swimming and boating area. Pit toilets. Showers at day use area at pond. No firewood available. No campground office but host volunteer updates tags on site numbers showing free or reserved.

Nice find...

I was headed from NY to ME and decided to make it a two day trip. VT State Parks have a two night minimum but as this was a Thursday I decided to take a shot. Got there in the late afternoon and a couple sites were open so it all worked out.

This was just an overnight stop so I didn't explore much but it is definitely on the list should I get back up that way again.

Site was shaded and private. The bath house was nice. The coin operated shower was a surprise but I had enough quarters for 10 minutes :)

Highway noise galore

Nice sites, way to close to Northway. I'm longing for home, for peace and quiet. Which is why I like camping. For quiet, it's hard to have a conversation without the need to shout or repeat what you said over the traffic. It doesn't die down overnight. There are so many other campgrounds to go to. I unfortunately will not come back here again. It is clean, not many campers.

Clean and Friendly

The Whippoorwill Motel and Campsites is an amazing quaint place to stay while visiting Lake George and the Adirondacks! We stayed here two nights at the beginning of August(2019) and couldn't have had a better experience. The new owners took over just two months prior, so they are busy doing upgrades to the camp office and store and around the campground. The upgrades being made did not impact the quality of camp sites or other facilities.

Additionally, the personal attention provided by Will and his father made us feel like regulars. Will's father greeted me by name every time he saw me and would stop what he was doing to chat. We stayed at one of the full hookup sites during this visit.

There are less than 50 total sites in the campground and only a hand-full had full hookups. Most did have water and electric. The sites are VERY Level, good sized, close, but spacious enough to have an enjoyable stay without being on top of each other. The cottages and motel looked nice from the outside. There is a nice sized and landscaped swimming pool, game room, and large community fire pit to enjoy. The location of the campground is ideal. Only two miles south of Lake George and a few miles north of the Outlet Mall. Another amenity is the paved bike path that goes along the back of the campground and runs between Lake George and Glen Falls. This was a great amenity and can help avoid all the traffic at Lake George by riding bikes into town. Overall this was a great place to stay to explore the area. Being smaller in size meant less traffic and noise, but didn't mean less enjoyment. The campground and buildings were well maintained and conveyed a welcoming atmosphere. The one area where Whippoorwill is lacking is the camp store/office, but this is the area they are currently updating so I expect great things in the future. We look forward to returning in the future.

Can’t beat the price

If you like camping without a lot of extras, this is a good choice. We stayed here for the ADK Balloon Festival in September twice. Pros: cost and close to town. Cons: small sites (my pic is of 2 sites together), loud! We had people party all night both times we were there. Also a truck pulled in late and just parked next to our tent site and left by 5 am so it was used as a rest stop and they were loud. The cannon from the fort and the music from the MinneHaHa also added to the ambiance. We won’t be going back as it doesn’t have electric at the sites but if you are a bare bones camper and don’t mind loud neighbors, it may work for you.

The best in Northeast

This is the best RV resort I have visited. The whole family will love, including pets. I can't do justice to the dog park, it has to be the best dog park in USA.

Everything you want in an RV park. The only think missing is a large lake but you can take trolley to Lake George. You set up and will not need your car until you leave.

Trolley through the park and to Lake George. Awesome camp store. Tennis, pickle ball, basketball. Movies, pools, splash pad, trails, fishing pond, food & ice cream. The list goes on. A must stay.

Had a great time

Stayed there this past week and it was great the beach is nice beautiful views and even caught a few bass large and smallmouth

Very nice

Nice campground with wooded sites, a rec hall, pool and small fishing pond. They have a large field for play with basketball and volleyball and even had entertainment Saturday night. Gorgeous area to explore and hike. Would definitely come back.

Large sites, planned activities, minutes from lake George

Campground has large full hook up campsites and plenty of them. Each site is mostly level and seems private with having greenery around each site. There are planned activities each day like limbo, scavenger hunts, movie night at the pool( in summer months) and a great pool to swim in with two water slides. At $96/ night it is pricey, but still less expensive than staying at a hotel resort. Bonus is you camp in July, there are raspberry bushes throughout the park!!

Super quiet and clean!

The place was packed but you wouldn’t know it. So peaceful. The pool was very cold but spotless, which was surprising since there’s pine trees all around. We would definitely go back. Only side note would be that if we brought our kids, ages 8, 16 and 19, they might be a little bored. But I guess they can stay home 😂

Great campsite, great pool. Cafe service is horrendous. Preachy.

The goods:

Campsites are the largest and most private I've ever seen. Fantastic. Good privacy.

Dunno why others are complaining about the 3 rocks as a fire pit. Plenty functional and directs the heat out towards the seating area.

The pool is as good as it looks in the pictures. Your kids will be here every day and love it. The deepest the pool gets is around 4 feet. There are 2 slides and they are pretty well monitored.

The check in staff and the store staff are great. Very helpful. The camp store is pretty well stocked.

The needs improvement:

The café staff are completely incompetent. I went through 3 people to find someone that spoke English. A very basic order of 2 slushies took over 20 minutes and they were both wrong. I watched the same thing happen to the next 4-5 families while my kids drank their slushies. It has a ton of potential but terrible execution. I tried again a day or two later and bought some lunch, it took an hour and the order was wrong.

The playlist at the pool area seems to alternate between Jimmy buffett / Bob marley (great!) and a 5 year old's sunday school religious kid songs (wth??). Super annoying. Combine that with the pamphlets handed out at check-in, it's a little preachy. Save that for church, I'm here to camp, Thank you.

Family friendly

A great atmosphere for everyone in our family. If we make it back out there we definitely will be staying again!

Very Nice Place

Good sized sites, very clean lake, staff very friendly and accommodating, bath houses were clean. We plan to camp there again

Fun

Lots to do at this campground. A bit tight on sites but so many activities make up for it

One of our favorite campgrounds

We stay here every year for 10 days. Nice quiet clean campground. Beautiful sites.

Neighborhood Camping

A clean and for the most part quiet camp spot. However it is near an electrical plant that has a hum all day & night—makes for great white noise when sleeping.

There is a road that seems to house construction vehicles that were busy going by early evening and early morning.

The park is great if you are traveling and need to pull off the interstate to rest your head and get a shower. The bathrooms were very clean.

The staff were all incredibly nice and helpful. I felt safe in this campground.

The photos people posted are deceiving as they are taken from other places and not right in the campsite.

I would stay here again when passing through but would not make it a multi day stay.

Peace and Quiet

Stayed in a campsite near the road and the brook. It was clean and quiet. The road was right next to the site, but most drivers were respectful and drove slow.

The bathrooms and showers were phenomenal. A treat at the end of the day to take a shower before crawling in.

I appreciated that this state park had pockets of campsites and group sites. We were not all in one place.

The weekdays seem quieter than the weekends.

Great VT state park

Very clean, quiet and well-managed state park. Exactly what I’ve come to expect from the VT State Park campgrounds. The prime tent locations book quickly but those are definitely the ones to go for, as they have private access to the water. Otherwise you have to go around the lake/reservoir to swim. Firewood is very good; $6/bundle and ice for $2/bag. Helpful staff.

Relaxing family friendly atmosphere

Love love love pops lake. The lake is beautiful especially during sunrise, and the sites are large. Will be returning soon.

Quiet family friendly

Our family loves this campground. We come here for softball and they are so accommodating. Plus the have an amazing Ice cream stand. I will post a video of their back field. My daughters always make me hit softballs to them here. Here is a brief fly over and a couple photos. Plus one of me chasing my son with my drone.

Great small boating area!

Clean open and level camping areas. Prime areas are near the water some what elevated but you are able to drag your boat through on paths. Ice and firewood sold at $6.00 a bundle and it is Kiln dried so it burns fast. If it is windy I would move away from the water. Staff was young but were pleasant and accommodating and will deliver wood and ice. Great biking on paved areas.

I absolutely love this place

I’ve gone here 3 times in 2 years and my kids love it can’t wait to go bAck I hear they built a mini golf course

Delightful

This place is pretty awesome. They have an ice cream shop attached to their office/store, mini golf just outside of it too. There is an amphitheater for concerts and shows throughout the summer. RV Spots, tent camping spots, a dog park, badminton, basketball, horseshoe, shuffleboard, the works. The bathrooms are beautifully redone and clean. The laundry room is pretty good too. Its close to Brattleboro and Putney and just across the border to New Hampshire. I'd most definitely stay again when I'm in the area. The other guest were very nice and we could also have packages delivered.

HUGE sites!

The sites are very large and clean. The kids loved the pool. No internet connectivity in most areas. Clean campground. Plenty to do in the local area.

Nice and clean, friendly staff.

I was here 2 nights. Wasn’t able to make the check in time, wasn’t a problem. They left a envelope on the office door with directions that led right to my site. Bathrooms are clean and nice with hot water. Our site was nice and big and shaded. Overall great campground.

Favorite campground in NY!!!

Me and my family go here at least twice a year. Its our favorite getaway spot. The campsites are nice and secluded but extremely spacious which is a very rare combination. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Great location within a short driving distance from Lake George.

Loved it.

Exactly what you need for car camping. Extremely friendly staff with a nice swimming area. Must buy wood on premise which can be tricky when you have a late arrival. Probably the cleanest bathrooms I’ve ever used at a state park.

New owners

New owners- very strict. Horribly hospitality. Mainly seasonal and would need to be in the clique in order to feel comfortable.

You get what you pay for!

This was absolutely a top notch park. Everything was pristine and we'll maintained. The campground was completely full and we had zero issues with amenities or unruly campers. Every facility was beautiful. We didn't even have to leave the park because there was always something to do. We rented a golf cart from an outside course which was SUPER expensive, so it would be nice if the campground offered their own rentals, but if that's our only complaint, we're happy campers. Our favorite part was the dog park. I've never seen anything like it and wish we had access to something like this everywhere. We we're on site 58 which backed up to the splash park. It was one of the largest sites we've ever stayed in. The sand/dirt was a bit of a nuisance but not a deal breaker. The water/electric was positioned perfectly that we could have gotten away with using 5 foot connections. The garbage cans on every site was a wonderful addition which they empty everyday for you. Love, love, loved it here. We will return!

Dated

My husband I camped here for a weekend getaway and we wanted hookups being it was Columbus Day Weekend. This is a parking lot with grass. The Men’s room was so disgusting that my husband refused to use it, actually he couldn’t ( there is a camper who is a dirty bird) which is not a good first impression. This is a residential park with older travel trailer residences. There was a nice back field area. The shower houses and toilets are very dated. I like to proximity to the city of North Hampton. We had great meals in town. The staff here is great, the other campers were nice. They had a Halloween/trick or treat night, fire truck rides it’s very kid friendly. We didn’t like being right on top the other rvs, our sewer pipe was in front of my neighbors picnic table. There was 30/50 amps, water and electric and WiFi! This campground is “in the country” plenty is sightseeing and hiking opportunities in the area.