Barre, VERMONT
Most Recent Barre Camping Reviews
Friendly staff, clean sites, great fun

Stayed here for 3 nights. Everyone was so helpful and very nice. "Good morning friends!" They brought our firewood right to us and even recommended a place to get great pizza on a rainy night. There is a trail from the campgrounds to see the beautiful gorge. They also had very clean bathrooms too. We will definitely be back.

Ranger Review: Banner& Oak Freedom sweatshirt at Beech Hill Campground

Campground Review: Beech Hill Cabins and Campground

I’ve camped at many of the campgrounds in the Twin Mountain, NH area and wanted to try a new spot. Beech Hill Campground did not disappoint with its large wooded campsite and numerous campground amenities at a fair price. You have to call to make reservations and can’t see the sites, but there aren’t many sites I wouldn’t want (3& 4 are small sites just across from a street light; a few others had slopes or a lot of roots). I was along Blueberry Lane, one of the roads on either side of the power line and all the sports areas(basketball, volleyball, horseshoes, shuffleboard) with some park benches and a view of Mt Washington). You may borrow equipment at the store.

The sites are often narrower at the road (but still wide enough to make backing a trailerRV in easy) and then open up to a spacious site. There’s enough low growth under the trees that although you are aware of your neighbors, you’re not on top of each other. I was there on an early August weekend and the campground was not close to full. It was quiet and folks were friendly. There are a large number of seasonal sites in areas separate from the rest of the campers that are generally well maintained and neat. They also have some cabins and a park unit (see their photos on the website as I didn’t get to see the insides). Full hookups including cable will run $50/night.

Laundry, bathrooms with showers, and a dishwashing sink are in a building near the entrance. Bathrooms are clean, if worn. They’ve been recently painted; the caulking/edges show their age more. Other amenities include an indoor heated pool, outdoor chess and checkers, a game room with air hockey, pool, and arcade games, and an outdoor playground. Saturday evenings there may be ice cream sundaes for a small fee; check their calendar for special events.

The store is well stocked with everything from camping supplies, ice, and firewood to knick knacks, snacks, and maps. They also sell some campfire grills, which could be helpful if you’re cooking over a fire; the fire rings do not have grills. There’s a gated entrance, so you need to check in before the camp store closes on your first night. There will be a $20 cash deposit for the access card, refundable when you return the card. My cell phone had 2-3 bars 4G on Verizon.

Product Review: Banner& Oak  Freedom Hoodie in Heathered Black

As a Ranger for The Dyrt I sometimes get to review equipment. Just before I headed out on this camping trip I received a Banner& Oak Freedom Hoodie in heathered black. I was grateful for the cool evenings and mornings so I could try this out. I usually wear a women’s large, so I ordered this in a medium and the fit was perfect, coming down over my waist and wrists. I like the length, but if you’re shortwaisted, you may find it is too long. The fabric is super soft and lightweight, not bulky.

When I put my hands in the pockets I discovered the left pocket had an~1 1/2” hole where the stitching didn’t join the front and back of the pockets. It was high enough that I wasn’t too worried about losing something through the hole, but I did make a point not to put my keys in that pocket; I’ll be running it through the sewing machine. The graphics are simple light gray lettering. It’s 60% cotton/40% poly, so you won’t want to rely on it for a hiking trip, but for hanging around a campsite, it's perfect!

minimal complaints

the showers weren’t the greatest even by campground standards, but other than that amazing views

Super Family Friendly

We stayed in our pop up for a quick weekend and we were very impressed. There were several small bathrooms throughout the park which made it super convenient with little kids! We stayed in loop B which was nice and wooded. Plenty of space to back in to and there was a fire ring and picnic table, with plenty of room. There were TONS of kids which was great for us, but may not be everyone’s cup of tea. The band on Saturday night was so fun and the kids loved it. The pool was extra clean and nice. Everything else was super clean and easy to access. We will be back for sure!

Fantastic campground with a great location

Pristine facilities, private camp sites and a beautiful area. Smuggler's Notch is close enough to Stowe to not be a hassle to drive to, but far enough away that it's quiet and remote. The staff was helpful and very good about controlling excessive noise from other sites. You are minutes from some amazing hiking, which is great when you don't feel like driving long distances after a day hike. Excellent showers (coin operated) and bathroom facility. Reserve early, as this place doesn't have a ton of sites and it folds up quickly!

A little hidden away gem of relaxation surrounded by beauty!

It's exactly what you look for in a vacation, peace and tranquility, breath taking views of Vermont with a perfect lake at your feet! We will definitely stay here again our family loved it!

Ranger Review: Banner& Oak Trek Burgundy Ladies Cap at Zealand Falls Hut

Campground/Hut Review

I stayed at Zealand Falls hut a few years ago while finishing my pursuit of the New Hampshire 4000-footers and have revisited it a few times on shorter hikes (it’s ony 600’ of elevation and less than 3 miles), including this weekend. It serves as a family-friendly first destination for new backpackers, a jumping off spot for a Bond traverse, or a winter destination. This is one of the few huts open year-round, although in winter you’ll have to hike up Zealand Road to the trailhead.

With a stay in the hut during peak season, you’ll receive a pillow, 3 wool blankets, and family style dinner and breakfast. The rest of the year you’ll have a pillow and maybe a fire in the fireplace in the evening; everything else is on you, so plan accordingly. The co-ed bunkrooms are on either side of the central dining room and kitchen. The bunks are triple deckers and are not assigned. You have lots of neighbors in the bunkroom and someone is likely to snore, so you'll want some earplugs(usually supplied) if you can't sleep through it.

It’s clean, folks are friendly, and the Croo will entertain while reminding you of the rules of hut life. There are compost toilets and cold running water. There are games and books for entertainment. Snacks are available. There may be a nature talk. If the skies are clear, you’ll want to check out the stars. A stay in the hut is pricey, but it's a great bargain if you have a long traverse ahead of you and want to keep your load a bit lighter.  Be sure to make your reservation well in advance; the ease in reaching it makes it a popular spot! Zealand is one of the cozier huts.

One of the nice things about this hut is its location next to Zealand Falls. This late in the summer the water flow was on the low side, but I’ve been here when it’s been so high after a heavy storm that hikers had difficulty crossing it. From the ledges you have a view across the pond toward Mt. Tom and toward Nancy, Chocorua, and Carrigain. Relax on the rocks and soak up the sun, listen to the water, & chat with fellow explorers, or sit on the porch and greet hikers as they arrive. Time it right and you’ll likely meet AT through hikers with tales to tell.

Product Review: Banner & Oak Trek Burgundy ladies cap

As a Ranger with The Dyrt, I sometimes get to review equipment. This time around I had a Banner & Oak Trek Burgundy cap for ladies. I chose it because I like caps with a low crown and this was in a color I frequently wear. Rain was threatening and I’m always trying to keep raindrops off my glasses, so this seemed like a good time to try it out; I find a cap also helps keep my hood in place. The fabric is so soft (true of all 3 Banner & Oak items I tested) and it’s easily adjustable, so the fit was perfect. Easily…that’s the operative word here. Banner& Oak chose a closure that makes adjustments so much easier than the ones where you have feed it through a bit at a time. Open the clip, pull the end, close the clip when it’s at the right spot.There’s a metal rim where the tab feeds into the cap so it won’t wear. The brim is slightly curved, which I like. I’m looking forward to a lot more hikes with my Banner and Oak cap!

Crystal lake!

This was a hidden away gem that I found thanks to this app, the cabins we're cozy and perfect just a short walk to the lake that's easily viewed from your cabin. We took our five year old son with us and he enjoyed himself the whole time he was there!

Good location but loud

We stayed in two of the three lean-tos over the weekend in August 2019. The third was vacant. The lean tos were right next to the large RVs and full hook up campers. Our group camped both inside the lean tos and in pitched tents.

It was pretty loud because we were by the huge RVs and camper vehicles, we were by the main road too which contributed to the noise.

It’s in a great location near the beach and we had a very nice 30 minute walk into downtown Burlington. For that convenience the site was in an ideal location! Overall it felt pretty safe even though the sites felt close to one another

Top Notch

We just spent 5 days at this wonderful campground. They have paid attention to all of the finer details. Beautiful landscaping, well leveled sites, very clean and neat. The staff is wonderful. My only disappointment with the camp is that there are only a few sites with sewer hookup. However, the dumping station is conveniently located, so if you have a small tank, daily trips are not a problem. There is plenty to do in the area - Littleton is a beautiful little town. The old houses in are incredible. New Hampshire is not a dog friendly state, but a short Drive into Vermont gets you access to many fine restaurants where you can bring your dog. Be sure to visit Dog Mountain in Vermont- a truly touching memorial to departed pets.

Huge campsites lakeside

I couldn't believe how large the lots were. While they arent super far from one another, they are large enough that they seem further than they are. Nice beautiful wooded area, we were able to put a tent and hang a hammock for sleeping. Price was very reasonable. The bathroom closest to us was having a running water issue, but it wasn't a big deal for us the lean too lots looked nice too if you're looking for coverage. It was a little close to the road, but it isnt a major road so I looked at it like a reasonable alarm clock. The lot was freshly raked and there really wasn't anything we didn't like about the site. Campfire pit had a grill!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this campground!

If you couldn’t already tell, we absolutely loved this campground! The one owner we did meet was very pleasant and told us all about the local events within the area and where to go for groceries/dining. He then hopped onto his bike and had us follow him to our camp spot. Once there, he proceeded to direct us as we backed up into the spot. Our camp spot had an amazing view of the lake which we didn’t ask for specifically which made it even better. While the campground itself doesn’t have a lot to do, we managed to find little things here and there to keep us busy. There’s a fish hatchery nearby, the ferry to NY, Seb’s snack shack, the farmers market and a winery/vineyard. The campground also has private access to the water so we spent a lot of time down at the beach with our dog. If you’re looking for a quiet, relaxing campground filled with friendly people, I cannot recommend this place enough! I would just suggest wearing shoes into the water as the rocks are very slippery on bare feet!

“Glamping” at its finest

Came here year after year for the culture and ability to entertain without leaving! On premises hiking trails, pool (with water slide), and arcade. When you don’t feel like driving to a trailhead, or into town to do some shopping, this place is perfect for hanging at the site and letting the kids run off on their own. Sites are generally well wooded, well sized, and a bit close together. Water and electric are available, to complete your glamorous car camping experience. It’s a great place to introduce someone to the idea of camping without making them hike a mile with 40% of their body weight on their back. Haha! No cell reception last time I was there, but they had pay phones! REAL pay phones!

First tent camping experience

This was a great place to start our camping adventures. Friendly staff and helpful pointing out places to hike. Site was clean and quiet. Bathrooms were clean and showers were hot. A pleasant treat after hiking.

Beautiful location in VT.

Amazing Hike! Great Campground

This is a short and sweet hike to one of the higher points in Vermont. It is a beautiful scenic (somewhat strenuous) hike to the summit. The views are pretty epic though. The designated primitive camping area is about 1.5 miles into the hike. If I recall it had about 10-12 sites. The area had a host who was there 24/7 and a shared area for eating and food storage (I guess Bear’s are a problem there). We hiked all day, so we didn’t have a fire and to be honest I can’t remember if there was a shared spot for them or not. Either way, this hike was gorgeous and so was the camping. I would love to go back!

Family friendly

Family friendly campground. Short drive to see wildlife from the road.

quiet, large sites

I reviewed this campground last fall after visiting on the final day of the season, but I just had a chance to sty here during a peak summer weekend and have a few additional insights. Fees are now up to $20/night, still a bargain, but it comes with only the most basic amenities, i.e. vault toilets, running water at faucets, picnic tables and fire rings. Although the campground description indicates that the sites are first-come, first-served, this has changed and many of them are available online in advance. I didn't realize this and when i arrived late Friday afternoon I had 5 or 6 campsites to choose from that could accommodate my small teardrop camper; if I were tent camping, I'd have had a couple more sites available to me. The tent only sites require a short walk from the parking area.

When you arrive, each site will be labelled either Reserved or Open.  If it is Reserved, the dates it is reserved will be listed and they may not be contiguous. All the sites filled up Friday night.

I had site 24 which I liked. it was very large and level, with ample space for today's large tents. The water spigot was near the site next door. I could see my neighbors, but they didn't bother me. Every host site always seems to look messy with tarp-covered items and wood piles and site 24 will give you a view of the host site, but it's far enough away that you can ignore it.

If I were in a tent, I'd try for site 22. It's a walk-in site that includes 7-8 steps down, but it opens into a large open area and just a bit beyond there is a small brook, too.

The campground is just a few miles west of I-93 and the town of Woodstock. If you want to hike Mooselauke or the Kinsmans, the Appalachian Trail crosses 112 nearby. Lost River Gorge is nearby as are numerous tourist attractions/activities in Woodstock and Lincoln. Take some time to explore Cascade Park in Woodstock if you want to cool off in the river and lounge on the rocks (park on the street or in the lot that is north of 112 just before the traffic light at Rte 3 in Woodstock). While you're there, pick up ice cream at Coneheads; choose among numerous hard serve ice cream made on site (downstairs) or dozens of soft-serve flavors.

This side of 112 seems quieter than the stretch east of Lincoln. Noise level was quite low. Cell coverage is non-existent for several miles around here; you'll start to get a signal closer to Lost River Gorge in the direction of Woodstock.

Nice place for the price

Older campground, friendly staff with lots of older seasonal sites. We paid $35 for a full hook up and had no problems. Rest rooms could use some updating, the large one was clean, the smaller one not so much and had no TP that day. The fire pits were full of ashes so maybe he only cleans it once a week and we were there on a Wednesday. For that price I would stay there again if I was in the area.

Great small park

Only 8 campsites, dispersed in the trees. $23/night. Picnic table and fire pit. Moderate cell service. Nice hikes and cool views of the area!

Great stay at Twin Mountain KOA

This was a great campground that we stayed at in July 2019. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. Over the weekend, they organized various activities including a pancake breakfast. The whole campground was very well maintained and the bathrooms were very clean.

Dispersed camping, be bear aware!

Tripoli Road is a seasonal road, opening in late May most years and closing in autumn. Check the White Mountain National Forest Facebook page for up to date road closures/status. The section before Russell Pond often opens before the rest of it, which is graded, not paved. The road runs between the Waterville Valley area and I-93 exit 31. This is roadside camping, no frills, first come, first served. You must stay at a site with a fire ring, but sites are not numbered. Road signs demarcate no camping zones; some areas look like they could be campsites, but will also be marked with no camping signs.

You must register at the ranger station on the western end of the road, shortly past the entrance to the Russell Pond campground. Rates are a flat rate set per car and per weekends or weekday period. In other words, you pay one rate for 1-5 weekdays ($20 in 2019) and another fee for a weekend($25-30 - holidays). It’s self service most of the time, with the ranger available Friday and Saturday evenings.

The sites vary from sites near and level with the road to ones set above or well below the road. Some are near a river, most are wooded. Some are isolated, others are close together. There are no reservations, so you'll be choosing your own when you arrive. Downhill sites closest to the Russell Pond area seem to be most popular. Most of these were occupied on a late June weekend, while those farther down the road remained empty.

There are port-a-potties near the western entrance, but otherwise you’re on your own with cat holes or portable toilet solutions. Nearest showers are at Russell Pond. Please keep it clean and protect the area. I’ve passed through several times while hiking My Osceola and have observed that these sites are often filled with groups or families with multiple tents. On a late June weekend there are numerous empty sites, so they seem to be more available than the dispersed sites along Gale River Rd and Haystack Rd (farther north in Twin Mountain). Excessive drinking and noise can be an issue.

You need to be aware that bears are in the area. Following the July 4, 2019 holiday, the camping area was closed after bears visited campsites and got into food that was left in the open and not secured in vehicles or bear canisters. The camping area re-opened July 19, but check the White Mountain National Forest FB page before heading up there. If the issue recurs, I wouldn't be surprised if they close it again.

Hiking in the region include the Osceolas (moderate hike with beautiful views, exceedingly popular and crowded on autumn weekends - get there early!), Tripyramid, and Tecumseh. Shorter treks include Welch-Dickey (great open ledges) and Snow's Mountain (along a river with falls). Nearby Russell Pond offers ranger programs, fishing, and you can put a kayak or canoe in. The Pemigewassett offers tubing and kayaking put ins. Outfitters one exit south can provide you with transportation and rentals. Exit 32 for Lincoln, Woodstock, and the Kanc is less than 5 miles north.

Cell service is decent at nearby Russell Pond (Verizon seemed to offer better service than AT&T).

Nice Area

The new owner is friendly. The location is beautiful. Limited cell service in the area. WiFi at the store only. Camp store is well supplied. Multiple shower/bathhouse/restroom buildings but the one near our site was small and not well lit. Shower stalls could to be longer to allow for dressing after shower. Shower use is $.25 for 5 or 6 minutes, which is fine because the nightly site fees are reasonable. Our site was on the river which was scenic and nice to listen to. River is rocky and shallow, not good for tubing, swimming, etc., we were also very close to the road, which was fine most nights but there was a lot of late Saturday night traffic that was noisy.

Not for tenting

Before staying at this campground, consider the following:

1. The campsite is directly on route 302, the traffic noise, particularly the long-haul trucks, is constant and makes it impossible to sleep(you are that close to the road and there is no woods, trees or sound a barrier of any kind, to absorb the sound)

2. There are no woods, no place to collect kindling, no way to start a campfire

3. Campfire grates are available, for rent

4. The sites are separated by a single thin line of trees, so minimal privacy

5. The campsite ground is uneven

6. The sites are not raked, so there are small rocks and pebbles everywhere

7. There are street lights on route 302 directly across the road from the campground, so it never gets totally dark

7. You may feel like you are tenting at a truck stop rather than camping at a campground

We reserved site R04 and when we arrived realized it was too small for three adults, two tents, and two dogs, so we rented R05 upon when we arrived. We left the next morning because of the noise and lack of"camping atmosphere." When we talked with the woman in charge, and said we would be leaving, she said"sorry". When i asked if she could compensate us, even for one of the six nights, she said"sorry you already checked in." I could have had a better experience camping in my background. However, we were lucky enough to get a campsite at Lost River Campground in Woodstock, NH. A beautiful, peaceful, campground, that cares about is guests and their overall experience.

Dispersed roadside camping near Twin Mountain Trailhead & Franconia Notch

If you can't snag a site along Gale River Rd or you are looking to hike the Twin Mountains, then continue a little farther north on US 3 near Twin Mountain (a little north of the Beaver Brook Picnic Area) and try your luck on Haystack Rd. This road is closed in winter and will open in late spring after the road has dried out and any repairs have been made. In 2019, it opened in mid-June. Check the the White Mountain National Forest FB page or website (FB is usually more up-to-date) for road status, including closures in the autumn.

When open, you can drive in to one of 11 numbered, wooded sites and camp up to 14 nights for free. You may have up to 3 vehicles and 15 people on a site. The only amenity is a fire pit, but the road ends at the Little River, offering fishing and swimming options. The parking lot at the end of Haystack Rd serves as the Twin Mountain trail head. You may see moose or bears in the area.

Franconia Notch State Park is just south of here, with its hikes, recreation trail, echo lake, and the Flume. Head east on 302 and you'll find yourself in Crawford Notch State Park with waterfalls and hikes.

Forgot something? Fosters Corners just a few miles north has an eclectic selection of essentials as well as gas. Or take I-93 north to Littleton to a wider variety of shops.

Lovely campsite but poor service

Pulled up and the woman at the gatehouse was on the phone with a lady trying to make a reservation. The lady didn't acknowledge ua at all for about 5 mins! We sat there for about 15-20 mins before we were helped. She ended up putting the lady on speakerphone so she could input her information easier. The lady gave her name, address, phone number, and credit card number to her as we sat there and could hear everything! It blew my mind! If I was that lady I would not want to share that info via speakerphone! We got a great campsite though, right on the water. Not very busy there. We rented a canoe for halfday $30 for 4hrs. We ended up returning it early because we paddled the whole lake in about an hour and a half, and we weren't trying to. Thought the boat rental was a bit pricey for the size of the lake/places to explore. We also looked forward to going up to Owl's Head for sunset. We went up during the day and decided it would be beautiful at sunset so we planned to come back. We came back nearly an hour before sunset and found the gate was locked at the bottom of the drive. The signs said it was open until dusk, but apparently someone didn't know what dusk meant. Very disappointed!!! If you want to go to Owl's Head for sunset plan to hike up from the campground because you won't be able to drive up to the parking lot anytime close to sunset.

Good find

Got here late in the day on a Saturday and we're concerned we might not find a site. But we found several nice sites here. Some were very spacious, others you had to walk in. Nice campground. Hiking trail just down the road was a nice surprise too.

It was alright

The campground isn’t bad however there’s not much to do in the area unless you want to take a 20-30 minute drive. Campground probably isn’t suitable for kids as they have zero activities. It was a good campground for a quick weekend getaway but not a place I’d want to spend more than a couple days at.

Heaven

This is without a doubt my favorite place to camp. The people are great, the river is as fun as it gets no matter the season and the new owners went out of their way to assure we had a great stay.

Amazing

My family loves this camp ground right on the CT River. It has RV sights and cabins they keep the campers busy with fun activities for kids and grown ups. This is what I would call a Glamping campground then a roughing it campground but it’s still amazing.

Will come again

Place was clean, staff was friendly, pool is amazing (looks like a theme park), store if you forgot anything.

Plots were clean and roomy with trees and shaded.

Had an amazing rock fire-pit.

The only thing is that this place is very large and has lots of plots, so can be rather busy and not very “private”.

But if you like this kind of thing you will have a great time.