About Lake Hudson State Rec Area
Lake Hudson State Rec Area is located in Michigan
4 Reviews of Lake Hudson State Rec Area
Perseid Meteor Shower

I was here on 8/11/18 to 8/12/18. I laid out on a cot by the beach area to watch the sky.

The park is in the middle of nowhere and truly is a dark sky area. For about 50% of the drive I did not have cell phone service (I have VZW).

The park was clean and had the same feel as many other smaller state park areas in Michigan (reminded me of bald mt).

The perfect retreat for a fisherman or writer.

This small campground (about 40 sites) is well off the beaten path, but still easy to access by road. This is the perfect campground to get back to nature. Each site is separated from the next by young forest, so it lends to a very private and secluded atmosphere.

It's also incredibly close to the lake, and I saw 3 spots with private lake front where they had moored their fishing boats for easy access. The lake itself is incredibly quiet without the buzz of people tubing or jet skiing.

There are no water or sewer hook ups here. You do have access to drinking water, and there is non-flushing toilet (like a port-o-potty). There are also 30 amp electrical boxes if you want to plug something in.

The rate is reasonable at $20/night, but you also have to purchase a Michigan state park passport for each car that enters. This was around $30 for me, a non-resident of Michigan. It expires annually in January.

If you're looking for peace, quiet, and seclusion, then this would be a great stop.

Beautiful Nature, Dark Sky Rustic Camping

Lake Hudson is a dark sky preserve full of trees, nature and a beautiful lake. The camping sites come with an electric plug in, a nice fire ring and a picnic table. They are cute sites. Most are not by the lake. There is a dumpster. The facilities are rustic. The facilities are port a potty type with wooden walls and cement floor. No showers. A hand pump well for water. The swimming part of the lake requires a drive. The Lake is beautiful with a sand beach, no wake boating and grills. However it is rustic so there is goose poo. The woods are beautiful. There is hunting. We had heard that some people partied there but the night we were there it was quiet and people were respectful. We had a beautiful fire and dutch oven dinner. We saw one cute racoon who ran away when I reacted. We were worried about mosquitos but we only saw one.

Lakeside, privacy & low priced!

50 sites separated by thick trees, 11 are on the lake side with trails thru woods to lake (not really 'lakeview' from inside camper). Swimming, boating, kayaking, fishing, sand beaches & more on a good size lake with tons of inlets & curvy shorelines.

$20/nt in 2018. All are 20/30 amp, no water, no sewer. Several spigots in camp area, no dump station… nearby one at Hayes State Park. Vault toilets (didn't use as we have in camper). Boat launch. Very pretty lake & views, peaceful. Info/reserve at https://www.midnrreservations.com/LakeHudsonRecreationArea?Map

Note1: LONG RV's 31'+ would fit in a lot of the sites, but sites say up to 30'. We had approx 40-45' space from road to treeline.

Note2: DARK SKY PARK designation so enjoy the amazing night star views! They do ask you to keep blinds & drapes closed and exterior lights off or to a minimum.

Note3: Extension or long electrical cords may be needed, as boxes are at back end and halfway to next site over.