Homme Lake, NEBRASKA
Most Recent Homme Lake Camping Reviews
Power and water next to the swimming pool- free for 3 days!

This park is right of Highway 30 and if you are passing through and want power and water for a few days this should be your stop. unlike other city parks, this one has a burn pit.

I would assume that campers would have use of the shower facility at the pool, but if not, you could just spend a few bucks and swim all day and shower at the end.

Grocery store downtown had great steak prices and good price on ice.

USACE camping just below Lewis and Clark Lake

Army Corps Campground with all the bells and whistles. It was closed when we went, but we will return. The interpretive center was very informative and Lewis and Clark Lake is huge with nice beaches and great fishing.

The ranger said that electric sites in season were only $16. That is less than the state parks at the lake. Yankton is nice but don't miss the Nebraska tribal museums.

Beautiful But Without Water in the Off Season

Electric sites by the highway near the park entrance, but don't overlook the 4 RV sites by the fishing pond. Cabins, primitive camping, hiking, and lovely scenery.

Campsite #43 is the only site with what I would call a view, but the view from there is excellent. The hiking was great. The area is pretty cool with Native American exhibits, the casino, and Lewis and Clark Lake nearby.

Though we loved the scenery and wanted to stay, the park had shut off all the water. We expected the $15 off-season price since there were no longer horse rides, pool or other activities but there were no showers or restrooms in the RV site. No water to wash dishes in!

The regular season is $20 a night but they are discussing raising that. Don't bother with the off-season.

Also, see my reviews of Crofton and Verdigre. Camping there is not as nice but they are close and more affordable.

Highly developed campground

This campground has seen huge improvements over the last decade. They now sport an impressive set of cabins and other facilities for the 21st century camper. Tent camping continues to be available and has better privacy than many sites throughout Nebraska. The park isn't far from a small town where you can easily get anything you might need for your trip. Explore some of the activites that staff hold weekly or go take a hike! There's also playgrounds and a pool for the kids.

Beautiful area to explore

This campground features cabins and tent camping. Designed for families, there is a playground and lots of open space for the kids to run around. Pets are welcome. There is a small pond stocked for fishing right in the middle of the tent camping area. Take a short hike to see where the Niobrara river dumps into the Missouri and take in some of the best views in Nebraska. In the winter months, hunters often use the cabins as home base and hunt in the surrounding woods.

Nowhere with a river

Not to be mistaken as Fort Niobrara, Niobrara State Park , NE is near Niobrara and Verdel, NE. The popular Niobrara River runs along the far side of the park and one of the attractions is the old train bridge which is now part of the converted trail that you can explore.

When we arrived the 80 degree temperatures from Kentucky did not arrive with us. The weather was windy, sprinkling and dropping with the sun. The night time low was about 43 degrees. I learned on another trip to pack all temperature range clothing especially this time of year, so I had my sniffle gear. We were one of three occupied sites in the campground. The other two sites had RV’s , I decided on truck camping and was glad I did.

The actual campground is spacious and had some trees. The showerhouse was well maintained and something new to me had pay showers. I hadn’t packed any quarters but have now added another helpful tidbit to my list of must haves while camping. (Roll of quarters, check) I attempted to leave my windows open after throwing a tarp over the truck but even though the temperature was low the mosquitoes were FIERCE! I don’t even want to know how bad they are in warm weather. So with the truck closed up we snuggled in for the night. I was a little surprised when I was woken by my dogs barking at coyotes that could be heard very nearby. Considering how sparsely populated the area is it shouldn’t have been that surprising, you really feel like your out in the middle of nowhere. Just shows how Northern I am ;) I was disappointed it was overcast , the sky would have been phenomenal with no lights to ruin the view.

This Park is laid out in a “horseshoe” and speed restrictions make it a long drive from end to end. The visitors center has some helpful employees that were very informative. Not surprisingly the river is the big draw in the area. The Ranger I spoke to said that there was a reinactment of the Lewis and Clark expedition due in that weekend. I was directed to the trailhead further in past the several cabins sitting in opportune locations along the road. The trail was moderately technical and you get to walk across the Niobrara on an old train bridge converted to a walkway. Unfortunately the far side was closed. There is also a horse trail ride offered (which would have been interesting with the boys).

The one con of the campground is that though you have an excellent view of the Niobrara River there is no easy access to it from the sites. Definitely a destination campground if you enjoy the river sports.

Algae

Unfortunately Willow Creek State Recreation Area, NE was under a health advisory when we arrived due to algae. We drove through the different areas and it was completely deserted so we continued on the Niobrara State Park. I did not check ahead because I just picked it off the map as we were driving. This seems like a nice , sparsely shaded area with water sports when it’s safe to be in the water……

Color me surprised;)

More then once as a Dyrt Ranger I have searched in vain for a campsite listed on a map. I was completely surprised when I found the Tyndall City Park AND it had places to camp!

When you first drive to the park it looks like your typical city park, nice fishing pond for the kids , cemented walking path, ballfields, disc golf, etc. But then down at the very end next to the ballfields are electric hookups and parking for RVs! Mind you this is no luxury campground, it’s the basics. On further exploration of the immediate area I came to the conclusion that this site is probably mostly used by visiting participants in 4H. There is a 4H complex across the street from the hookups.

The park is located off the local neighborhood and quiet. There is no shade at the RV sites. No picnic tables or fire rings on the cement lot where the electric boxes are located. This is definitely an event oriented “campground” or overnight/visiting relatives pit stop. There is an honor box and small latrine near the sites. No privacy if it’s busy but we were totally alone and saw few people when we visited.

The dogs enjoyed the walk around the fishing pond and it was a very relaxed atmosphere, at least to me. I did not attempt to start a fire, no one to ask if I could and no fire rings. There was a grass area by the camp sites with picnic tables and shade, you could easily put a tent/hammock in that area but I don’t know if it’s permitted.

Overall a useful area, in town, near shopping and fuel but not a vacation destination in my opinion.

Great Facilities, Wildlife, and Bird-watching.

The facilities at the campground were excellent.

We hiked around multiple trails along the river and in a deciduous forest. We saw unusual flowers, birds and wildlife.

Modern cabins, beautiful winter hikes

Ponca State Park is a perfect winter getaway, with spacious well equipped newer cabins and beautiful scenery

Beautiful park

Miles of trails and great water park

Great place

The staff are all so friendly and the campground is well kept! Beautiful hiking trails with a nice view!

Small, quiet and peaceful

It's a very small campground with a variety of different types of sites. Easy to access. Lots of great hiking trails. The hosts are very kind and helpful.

Great

It is a really great place to hangout and enjoy the outdoors with a picnic or fishing for the family

Fun filled

So many happy campers it is like a big family! Seasonal camper landing starts at $1500 for a full year spot. There is a family area and a swimming area with a park for the kids.

Great

Great campground with caring staff. Run by the Corps of Engineers. Well-maintained and great prices. No water or sewer at the campsite, but they are close-by.

Excellent views

Booking is online. There are three lakes/rivers all within 5 miles of each other. Make sure to visit the dam!

Scenic Seclusion

Beautiful views of the Missouri and Niobrara atop hervily wooded hills. Tent sites are either along the paved 1 way road or farther back in the trees of the hills via a short trail. Vault toilets are plentiful as well as water spigots. Has several nice trails and points of interest. Was very clean theoughout and well cared for. Also offers cabins and an RV campground.

Awesome

Stayed at campsite through Sharps Outfitters and kayaked as well. Awesome trip very pretty!!

Local RV camp

Most of this open campground is devoted to RV's, most are unoccupied during the week. There are only 4 tent sites on the south edge of the area, the acreage is covered with tall cottonwood trees which provide partial sun/shade but no privacy. There is a short trail which goes down to the Missouri River. There was a pit latrine in the tent area and two shower houses in the RV sections. Tent fee $10 per night

Nice small campground

Very nice small campground. Very clean. Must have reservations to stay. Weekends are typically booked during the summer but during the week can usually have any spot. The site is divided up into 2 areas about 10 sites in each area. Sites 1thru 11 are on the river. Sites 12 thru 20 are not. No beach at campground.

Great little getaway

First time visitors to this campground and it was great. We stayed here on our visit up to Ashfall Fossil Beds(which is a must see for anyone with kids, and is only a 30 minute drive from campsite) Most RV campsites are within a minute or two walk to lake. Awesome bike trails take you all around the lake and even across a bridge and dam for great views from multiple angles. Lots of wooded area and picnic locations. Has a couple of playgrounds for the kids, the one our kids loved required a little bike trek from the campground to the north side of the lake. One minor note to add would be to use the restrooms in the shower facility. Other restrooms that were not in the shower facility didn't seem well maintained. Other than that we would definitely come back and stay at this campground.

Quiet Rving next to a great little lake.

Clean restrooms and showers. Some sites have lake access. Well wooded.

Beautiful scenery, plenty of activities and history!

We stayed in our camper on the RV campground. I like that the RV's are not so close together! It qlwas quiet, scenic, lots of things to do. People genuinely seem to enjoy themselves. Lots of animal sightings, birds, and wild flowers, etc. You can get a real feel for the country out here. The ONLY drawback is needing quarters for a shower….but they do have a change machine.

Look out for Camp Squatters

We ended up at the Trailwater site because of a overbooking at lewis and clark. The afternoon was pleasant but as soon as it started to get dark all of the camp squatters started to arrive. First, about 9:30 PM, a group with several small children arrived and they were running all over the place crying screaming. The adults didn't seam to care and for some reason kept locking their car repeatedly. Beep, Beep, honk!This continued until about midnight when the children passed out. Then at 1:15 AM a large group with about 15 adults, several children, 2 dogs, 6 trucks and a boat arrived. They proceeded to set up their 6 tends even right next to ours and in front of our fire ring as if they were sharing it with us. They were loud and intoxicated. The yelling and commotion continued. They were carrying on as if it were the middle of the day. At 3:15 AM I asked if they could quite it down. I was met with hostility and and was told that they did not give a F@%*. Then they proceeded to mock and insult us in spanish. We felt very intimidated and scared for our safety. Needless to say we packed up our camp all wile being jeered and insulted and drive 2.5 hrs back home. DONT TENT CAMP HERE. We will never stay at this campground again.

Lots of entertainment available

Lots of campsites with lake views, swimming beaches and bike trails as well as water equipment rental in the area.

So fun

Great campground with lots of shade trees and plenty of space between spots! Great fishing and swimming too!

very fun!

camped here a lot growing up, always had a good time. great area close to town but quiet by the river.

Just Beautiful

Every time I visit, whether spring, summer or fall, there are activities boundless. Good for biking, hiking, nature watching, fishing, kayaking, archery etc. The scenery is stunning and wonderful views of the bluffs. Clean campgrounds and many to choose from. Wonderful RV camp hosts.

Its a beautiful site even to those of us that see it everyday