Harrisburg, NEBRASKA

Most Recent Harrisburg Camping Reviews
Huge sites, nice lake

Not far off the road in Kimball, NE is a lake with nice large flat spaces. Huge old trees provide shade and we have excellent cell on both our Verizon and at&t networks. Good fishing and a sand swimming beach

It is dry camping with vault toilets and a dump. Actually free, but with a suggested donation. 14 day limit.

Rustic Camping

Some of us still prefer to rustic camp in a tent with no amenities; listen to the sound of birds, wind, silence, to feel the night wrap around you when you sleep. Your mobile homes are too big for the rustic lake sites! You’re generators are ridiculous and loud. Take that to the RV site. This one camper was so big that it took up half the one way road, now people tear up the nice grass to get around a RV that was never meant to camp in these sites when the camp sites were built. Serious.

Small, private Rv spot

Westfield is a small private Rv campground. It has 13 full hook up sites which are right by US Hwy 26. There are no picnic benches, no fire rings, and no Shade. There is 1 cabin on site.

Small, private Rv spot

City camping?

We had some difficulty locating this park and eventually asked a local where it was (Google maps will not direct you to the right place; the “campground” is located on East 11th Street and First Avenue). It is located uphill from the downtown area so don’t confuse it with another city park closer to downtown. Now, to review the campground. Western Nebraska campgrounds are unlike other places we are used to – perhaps it is because of summer heat (and biting flies) but most seem to be geared toward RVs. This one has three "sites", although they are not separated in any way save for the electrical and water hook-ups. Just room for three rigs on a gravel area. No tents for sure. Across the street from these “sites” is a nice lawn area with lots of trees and a covered picnic pavilion, which could make your stay more pleasant, as long as a group isn’t using it. There was a persistent barking dog nearby while I was checking it out. About the only redeeming thing I can think of for this place is the price: free for the first two nights but you would need to pay$10 per night after (I guess to discourage people from living there). Close to Chimney Rock and about 25 miles from Scotts Bluff but otherwise not much in the area.

Smack dab in town

We stumbled across City Slickers RV Park in Torrington and wanted to make sure it was an option for people coming to the area. It has 27 sites(RV) with full hook ups on a complete gravel area with not much shade. It’s right across the street from St. Joes Children’s Home. It is $20 a day and only excepts check or cash. It would work for the night or if you prefer to be in town.

Close to Scottsbluff

Open May 1– October 1. Got the second to last site on a Wednesday in July(you can reserve sites after the campground opens on May 1). We chose this campground for its proximity to Scottsbluff. Although there is a tent site area, the campground was filled mostly with large RVs. The hosts were very friendly and welcoming and even though it was not a large campground, the host escorted us to our site. He offered several times to deliver firewood to us if we wanted. Reasonable cost for sites($10 tent camping,$20 water and electric,$25 for full hook-up). Best sites are the ones at the end of the rows as they have a nice patch of lawn. Alcoholic beverages are permitted but must be consumed inside your rig/tent. WiFi is available but not a strong signal; using our own data worked much better. Restrooms were reasonably clean(accessed via a code) and there are showers. This campground is located within a city park and there are other facilities(fitness trail, dog park, and supposedly a zoo). I did a little exploring but rain was imminent so I didn’t wander far, however, the facilities outside the campground looked like they could have used a little TLC. Of course, there is a nearby train!

Small in town but feels secluded

Pioneer Park is a small but nice stop in Torrington. It is located in town but still feels like your secluded. There is a stream and river within the park. There are trails, frisbee golf, horseshoes,playground, amphitheater, and basketball hoop. Along with picnic shelters. The Rv sites are Electric And water but there is a dump station . It is priced very reasonable at $15 a night with a 10 night limit. I could sit on the little bridge and listen to the water run for hours.

Not a great place to stay

We arrived to find that the site we had reserved was not only occupied by another RV, but the people had essentially taken off for days.  We were given a different, worse site, and had no options, since the campground was full.  The person in charge of the campground was less than helpful.  We had chosen that site MONTHS in advance so we could accommodate a screen tent.  The bugs are horrendous (mosquitoes primarily, with flies coming in  a close second).  We were unable to put up the screen tent due to how small the site was, and how close to the water we were…like a few feet from stagnant, buggy water.  To say it was NOT a  good experience is an understatement.  We left after one unpleasant night.  We will not go back, and instead re-route to go to a better rated campground next time.

Ranger Review Wildcat Hills SRA campground and INNO INH 330 Aero Light

Ranger review of Wildcat Hills SRA. If you love to hike and want to truly feel like you are away from it all check out Wildcat Hills. This beautiful recreation area just South of Gering Nebraska is just minutes away from geological wonders such as Chimney Rock, Jailhouse Rock and Scott’s Bluff National Memorial Park. Wildcat offers Archery, gun range, biking, hiking, picnicking, a playground, nature center and hunting. I’d add that if you are a bird watcher you need to get to Wildcat hills. There are also big horn sheep, wildcats, rattle snakes, elk, and deer in the area although we didn’t see any in our two days and nights at the park. There is a huge nature center that will provide a great place to cool off, stay dry or just for learning for the sake of learning. 4 main trail heads interconnect through rough, minimally maintained hiking trails that climb up to 5,000 feet. Backpack a lunch to the bottom of the canyon and try to find the Game of Thrones shelter (my pet name for it). I’ve given this park 4 stars because we were fortunate enough to camp at the group site that an area boy-scout troop updated. There are two other camp sites along the dirt road leading to the group site. Those 12 total sites are very close together and I wouldn’t recommend anything more than a pop up camper in those spots which are right on the road. If you have to camp in one of those 12 sites I’d rate the camping at 2 or 3 stars. this park hits it out of the ball park with the hiking and nature center.

Ranger review INNO INH 330 Aero Light Bike Rack

I had the opportunity to review the INNO INH 330 Aerolight QM bike rack. I have put hundreds of miles on this 2 bike rack from state parks to urban use. INNO has created a rack that is worthy of consideration among high end bike racks. The INNO arrived in a large clean and well packaged box and was nearly fully assembled. There are a number of pros and cons to be considered with this rack as with any product. I’ve listed those below.

Pros: Well made light metal and plastic construction that I believe will hold up for a very long time. Innovative locking cable for piece of mind. Fits both 1.5” and 2” receiver. Quiet ride. Exceptionally study bike securement if you don’t have attachment and you have a triangular bike frame. Protects your bike from banging into other bike like on hanging style racks.

Cons: awkward fit on height bar strap if you have a water bottle or bike tire pump attachment. If you are mounting different bikes often there a few adjustment steps that will take some time before you can secure your bike. The pins that secure the arms in the lower and upper positions can stick and require some force to pull out and place. I think some WD40 would probably resolve that issue. Bikes without the traditional triangle frame do not strap well to the veritable bar.

In the end, I’d give this rack 3.5 stars I would give it 4 if it fit my son’s non-triangle frame bike. I recommend that you consider the INNO and determine if it will fit your bikes and your needs. This rack has become my go to if I only need to take my bike or one other. Find your local retailer and try it out with your bikes.

Sorry about the oddly formatted photos. They flipped during upload.

A one night stopover

This is a small RV Park, cash only $20/night.

There is a drop box and a stack of envelopes for payment in the office, if no one is there.

It has level, pull through sites with water, electric and sewer. The shower/bathroom is connected to the office and was clean with plenty of hot water. There are a lot of permanent or long term residents.

it is right off I-80 next to the shrine of Our Lady if Peace, the 50’ status of the Virgin Mary visible from the interstate.

Clean water, spots next to water.. serenity

Very nice, yet smaller body of water. Sandy lake great for jet skis.

Nice place for overnight or a longer stay. Close to the Scottsbluff Monumen

The 3 days we stayed there were a number of rvs with people from the Scottsbluff area. Was there during Gering days and had no issues getting a site. Gravel but with full hookups if needed.

Clean and beautiful Primitive camping

Large ravines, ponderosa pines and lots of wildlife nearby to greet visitors. The nearby nature center is a must stop for travelers. The camp sites are clean and have picnic tables and fire rings. There is access to water nearby and pit toilets near the sites, several secluded areas to choose from. Gorgeous views of the Platte River Valley, lots of songbirds. THe CCC built several stone shelters in the area for visitor use as well. Nearby and very modern shooting range with expert instructors a few miles away.

Location and Staff are Redeeming Qualities Here

We stayed at this campground in late fall. There are very few campgrounds available in this area after the summer ends, so selection was limited. Reservations are made via phone or submitted online form. Although the staff was very attentive, from the confirmation phone call to the registration, we were a bit put off that the sites were very open and close together. In addition, when the employee called to ask about what we needed for our reservation, she implied full hook up, including cable in our mind. When we arrived we discovered there were very few sites that had cable available, and so our sons were disappointed that they would not be spoiled for the weekend (they don't get cable TV at home!). This RV park appears to be owned by the city of Gering, NE.

The view of Scotts Bluff National Monument from the campground is beautiful, especially in the evening. I enjoyed watching the sun go down and hit the bluffs with that perfect golden glow (so much better than cable TV, right?), but was also put off that there were no fire rings, so we could not have a campfire at our site either. They do have raised grills for charcoal (or maybe small wood) and each site has a picnic table.

On the plus side, there is a playground attached to the property that has updated equipment that our sons enjoyed.

A quiet place to spend the night

Stayed a night here on a road trip. Not much to say, it was quiet and not crowded. Most of the people were locals and there to fish only a few people were camping overnight. I would stay here again if driving through the area!

Lake Minatare SRA

At Lake Minatare there are primative and normal campsites. The primative spots are where ever you feel is fit. You can build your own campfire, which I found fun, and build your very own campsite the way you like it. You can camp right on the beach or tucked away if you want. A lot of locals come and fish by the campsites but they are very respectful of your space and will either keep to themselves or turn right around and leave. The fishing is great there, just depends on the time of the year.

Wildcat Hills Canping

There are only about 4 campsites in Wildcat Hills but there are various campsites around the area. The campsite is right off a well traveled road in the park. They are also at the trailhead of a very nice trail that splits into various trails along the way. The campsites are very close together but camping there is not very popular.