Dodson , MONTANA

Most Recent Dodson Camping Reviews
Nice spot- secluded

Nice spot. Had the place mostly to ourselves. One RV showed up later, ran a generator for an hour but was quiet after that. Lovely view. It was REALLY windy when we arrived- parked our car as a wind break and put our tent next to it. I suspect the bug this is real, though the wind kept us from dealing with them…. it was also really cold (28 degrees when I woke at 5 am) which prob kept them down. Easy spot to stay for a night on our way to glacier.

Looked closed and maybe for sale?

Drove past going to Nelson Reservoir.

Not a destination but a good stopping point

This place isn’t fancy but it’s only $5 to camp for the night. As we sit here there are only two other campers here so there’s plenty of room to spread out. We did find power over in one of the pavilions if you just have to have it for awhile but it’s not available at individual campsites. There are public toilets. There are also many water spigots around the park but not at individual sites. Although to clarify you can pretty much park where you can fit your vehicle so I guess you could use power and water depending on where you park but we didn’t want to try our luck. There is all sorts of playground equipment here that kids would enjoy and lots of horses next door at the rodeo grounds. There is a definite sewage smell here and that’s disappointing but seriously for $5 bucks we are happy to be here for the night. Last but not least there are lots of prairie dog holes in the ground here so don’t turn your ankle.

A Hidden Gem

I stumbled across Camp Creek Campground summer of '19 when I was having some problems with my slides and needed to stop for the night.  The campground has several very large pull through spots, and folks with horses often pass through.  Upon entering the campground area, a caretakers spot is early on, while no caretaker was employed last year, there is a sanitary dump station at the site, as well as, potable water.  A bit past that is a large area for horse trailer parking, and a corral.   As one progresses down the road,  a large group gathering area is on left of the road, along with parking.  A bit further are large, clean, restroom facilities, and another area for both parking and pulling one's rig through to load up on water.  Continuing down the road are numerous camping spots, most are smaller.  However, a the end of the loop are two large spots big enough to pull a large fifth wheel or motorhome through.  A further two or three large back in sites are there as well.  A small stream runs through the back area, and endless hiking / horseback riding trails are in this area as well.  Further, there is another hookup one can fill their tanks with potable water (no sites have water hookups on site, except the caretakers).  When I was there in late July, the campground was maybe 1/3 full.  We ended up staying three nights.

Drawbacks:  there are four to note.  First, while the sites are well kept, those with very wide RV's (mine is 92") or high (mine is 13') will find branches to be bothersome at best.  In my case I made a decision some time ago that I was going to be careful, but my rig was going to get used in the great outdoors, and that meant getting a scratch from time to time.  I fully realize when one is paying $60k - $500k and more, that may be somewhat less than desirable.  And while there are several good sized spaces, I wouldn't try bringing in anything longer than 36' (mine is 33).   Second, the road in is rather long, a good gravel road, but gravel (and dusty) none the less.  If one gets caught in the rain this area is well known for it's gumbo roads … they can be very miserable.  Third, a local told me that the place was heaven nearly all season … except .. during hunting season.   He used some rather colorful language to depict the camping environment during those six weeks or so in late fall.  Fourth, if you have a problem you are a long way from help, and there is no cell service.   All that said, this is a wonderful campground, great for kids and Old Goats like me.

Nice place

Nice campground with 10 spots. Nestled in the Little Rocky Mountains, campground offers lots of shade with creek running by it. Bathroom was clean and nice tables by fire rings.

Nice sites Great staff

Very nice place, sites are good, stuff is friendly POOL IS AWESOME

Have the prairie to yourself!

This is a primitive campground in the American Prairie Reserve.  It seems to be a relatively unknown place and we were the only people in the campground for the night (there are 6 tent sites and 7 RV).  It was about 40 miles of high-quality gravel road to get here.  Near the campground, there is a research HQ for the reserve which is not open to the public and otherwise we didn't see anyone else the entire time.

Tent sites are walk-in and and on platforms, which you are required to use.  This means if you have two tents like us, you'll need two sites.  You tie the tents down to lashing points on on the side of the platform.  Each site has a fire pit, picnic table and there is a community covered picnic area and fire pit as well.  Free firewood is available next to the toilets.  There are vault toilets and non-potable water sources in the loop.  The walk-in is only about 15-50 yards, depending on the site.  From the campground, there is a small auditorium and nature trail available.  Bugs were pretty bad the night we were there, so we didn't try much of the nature trail.

Everything felt new and almost unused, like the campground had just opened.  The toilets were only okay in cleanliness, the main reason I took off a star.  It was a fantastic experience for the kids.  A buffalo herd roamed the area and even through the campground at night and in the morning.  Prairie dog towns were all over.  It was one of our most memorable camping experiences but definitely come prepared since nothing is available on site or nearby.  Many of the roads in the preserve are in pretty primitive shape so 4WD is recommended to get around the preserve, but you won’t need it to access the camp site.  We had a big windstorm come through during the night, so lash down carefully!

Nice place in middle of no where

Was a nice place to stay with indoor pool and the hot tub is a hot spring

Great place!

Montana is definitely one of my all time favorite places to visit. Being from Washington, there is so many hikes there, and Montana definitely reminds me a little of Washington- except the mountains are EVERYWHERE!! The hiking here is amazing, and Montana Gulch Campground is the best. The campground was really clean, and actually the bathrooms were clean as well and stocked with toilet paper when we were there. Which is shocking because most campgrounds have nasty bathrooms. The campsite spaces were fairly big, with enough room to pitch 2 tents and have our car in front too. There is a table and fire pit within your campsite. There is also some areas under cover with extra tables. The campground is easy to find, and the road was pretty good. I've been to a few places where the road leading to the campground is crappy. The hiking around here was amazing, recommend!! The staff was super friendly and helped us pick out a few hikes. The views were incredible. Wish I would have taken more pictures, but that just means we have to come back!

Love Montana!

Montana is hands down one of my favorite places to visit to be outdoors. I am from Washington where there is TONS of places to camp and hike, and Montana definitely is a close tie to Washington and the incredible outdoors. One thing I love about Montana Gulch is the vast views of the mountains. The mountains surround you everywhere you look. The hiking here is incredible, so I highly recommend coming here to hike. Here are a few things we liked about this spot:

1. Great hikes! As I mentioned above, there are some amazing hikes nearby. The farthest we drove for a hike was 1hr past the campground, but we really wanted to do this particular hike so we thought the drive was definitely worth it. It was a little rainy when we went, but that didn't stop us.
  2. Bigger campsite spaces. This is something that we really like about some campgrounds- is when the campsite spaces are "bigger" than normal. We were able to fit our car and 2 tents in the site. Also, each campsite was separated by trees and shrubs which gave you a little more privacy.
  3. Easy to find. We appreciated that there were signs on the road that directed us right to the campground. I like to trust my phone, but sometimes it doesn't lead you in the right direction. Thankfully their signage was great.
  4. Helpful rangers. They were super nice, and directed us to our campsite as well as give us some insight on great hikes nearby.

The only thing we didn't like about the campground was that there was only 1 bathroom (that we could find), and it was pretty far from our campsite.

Overall, I highly recommend coming here! Great place to stay with beautiful views.