the dyrt
$40.00 - $86.00
Private
North of Highland Camping Area is located in Massachusetts
3 Reviews of North of Highland Camping Area
Beachy access and close to Provincetown

I stayed at this campground over Labor Day weekend 2018. While it was relatively booked to capacity, everyone staying here was very respectful of the quiet times and my stay was super pleasant. There is a short walk from the campground to the entrance of Head of the Meadow beach and it is really conveniently located to get to Provincetown. I loved the ground cover which was a mix of sandy soils and soft pine needles. The tree cover snd scrubby forest surroundings made for nice seclusion and pretty scenery. The bathroom amenities were good, but bring quarters for showers. For 1 quarter you get 7 min of hot water so it was a good deal, I thought. Loved the location!! I would come back.

North of Highland Camping Area

Great tent sites, very close proximity to fantastic National Seashore beaches.

Absolutely wonderful and quiet

This is by far one of the best campgrounds I’ve stayed at so far. North of Highland Camping area definitely caters to tent campers – the roads are not big enough for large trailers or RVs, and they have no electric or sewage hookups anywhere in the park. This campground has been owned by the same family since the 1950s.

We arrived around 10 am on a Saturday morning, and even though it was the weekend before July 4th, there were still several sites available for walk-ins (they have more than 250 sites). The desk clerk was one of the friendliest people I’ve ever met, and extremely helpful – he walked us through picking the best site available by asking us what our preferences were (did we want to be near the restrooms, close to the beach path, what size tent did we have, etc). He even gave us tips on getting beach fire permits. The price for the site was reasonable for the area.

The campground itself is gorgeous – it’s within the pine barren forest near Head of the Meadow beach, completely surrounded by Cape Cod National Seashore land. All of the sites are shaded, and they are decently sized with picnic tables. There is also a ½ mile walking path that leads directly to Head of the Meadow beach; if you go to the town beach side, walk-ins are free!

There are several restrooms centrally located to the main camping loops, plus one building that houses the coin-op showers, the camp store, a rec hall, and even an adults-only quiet room w/ electronic charging stations. The restrooms were very clean and well maintained, and even had soap and paper towels, which is rare in campgrounds. Each restroom building also had outdoor showers for rinsing off.

The owners are VERY strict on their quiet hours policy (1030pm – 730am), and they are very restrictive on some noises during the day as well – pets, motorcycles, and portable generators are not allowed in this campground at all. This is exactly the kind of camping experience I’m looking for, as I’ve had some bad experiences the last year or so with other campgrounds attracting loud partiers.

Overall, this was one of my favorite camping experiences and I will definitely be back!

Pros: Wonderfully helpful staff, reasonably priced, very quiet and relaxing, clean and well-maintained facilities, great location, beautiful.

Cons: If I had to pick any cons, it would be that the roads throughout the campground are in kind of rough shape and could use more signage (a lot are one-way and sometimes hard to distinguish from campsite parking spots). I had no problem in my SUV, but it might be a little rougher driving on them in a compact car. Also, no fires are allowed in the campground itself due to fire restrictions, but you can easily get beach fire permits to have one on the beach. That’s all I can think of – this campground was great!