Equestrian
National Park Service
Blackwoods - Acadia National Park is located in Acadia National Park in Maine
55 Reviews of Blackwoods - Acadia National Park
Ideal location

Our site was A129(in the back of the A loop). I booked a few months in advance and only had a few sites to choose from- so book early if you can. We were two sites over from the restrooms and water supply, but it was still pretty quiet. Many sites are close together, but there are trees in between so you don't feel on top of your neighbor. The restrooms were cleaned daily. Bring your own soap/towel. There is an electrical outlet in the restroom to use a hair dryer or charge a phone. We had a lot of gravel on our site, which made for walking barefoot in the tent a bit uncomfortable- definitely bring something to sleep on! We left our"camp kitchen" set up at the site and we had no issues of anything missing. Each site has a table and fire ring- including a grate for cooking.

We were able to walk to an ocean view by crossing the loop road. There is also a trail near the check-in booth that connects to other area trails. We had no phone service at all anywhere in Acadia. Showers are $2.00 for four minutes- bring quarters. They were not super clean, but they were hot and got the job done. There are changing rooms and ample places to hang your towel/clothes, etc. Overall, Blackwoods made for an enjoyable trip. I would camp there again.

Acadia!!

Just the best! So much to do at Acadia! Hikes, education centers, Cadillac Mountain, Thunder hole and more! Sites are great! Close to Bar Harbor. Bathrooms are clean. Showers are off site.

Close to the water

Stayed so we'd be close to the water as well as in the park. Great base camp for activities. Could get up and walk to loop road with my bike, or go a little further and sit on the boulders overlooking the sea. Hiked across Cadillac Mtn and walked south and right back to camp. Sites were very gravely for tents and not level.

Not a Bad National Park Option

This is one of the 3 camping options within Acadia National Park itself and the campground has 300+ sites. Despite being so large, the sites are wooded and relatively secluded which contribute to an overall feeling of not being at a mega-campground. At my time of visit, the staff was planting even more trees to act as additional privacy screens between sites. I ultimately opted to stay here because backcountry/dispersed camping is not allowed in Acadia and Blackwoods Campground is one of the few places where you can still camp within the park. It was a nice base for day hiking and it conveniently connects the the park’s trail system and also has a bus stop for the bus lines that service the park. The staff is incredibly informative and personally greets each person who checks into the campground (the only negative about this is the process tends to cause a bit of a traffic jam at the campground entrance). Of note, when booking your spot, you may want to avoid the sites that are situated right on the trails, unless you want a constant flow of people walking along your site. Overall, my stay here was a positive experience and I do not have any complaints about the grounds, other campers, or the facilities. I ultimately rated Blackwoods as 4 stars because although well located and overall a nice spot, it lacked a certain wow factor that other 5 star front country national park campgrounds have.

Wonderful place to stay, clean sites with many trees

They have bathrooms but no showers and have hiking trails right from the campgrounds

Explore Acadia from this fantastic site!

This site is simply amazing all around. I've stayed here several times, both with just a few people and with whole groups and every time it has been fantastic. The last time we stayed and it happened to rain a couple of times over our five day trip. This didn't stop us from biking the carriage trails or taking the free shuttle out to Bar Harbor and exploring there. Quick note, make use of the Acadia National Park Chimani app, it had lots of handy information, plus the shuttle schedule and it works without service. The sites are a good size and the bathrooms are really nice. There are pay showers a little down the road from the campground.

Go-To Campground for Annual Excursion

My friend's family has been going to Acadia every summer for probably 15 years, and myself and other friends would tag along and have a big ol' fun time. And every single year, we stay at the Blackwoods campground. You would think I'd have more pictures, but there's so much to do around the site that you forget to document!

The campsites themselves are usually completely booked throughout the season, so make sure you plan and book in advance. However, never have I once got the feeling of things being really busy of overrun with people. The sites are decently sized and well taken care of. Even though there are a ton of individual sites, you really feel like you're in the forest and each site is separated by dense trees, giving you the feeling of peaceful solitude. The campsites themselves are pretty standard; fire rings, picnic table, flat ground for tents. Bathhouses are always in walking range. I think quarter showers are in select ones (though you don't need it--splash around ion Hunters Brook where is crosses route 3. You can even jump from the road when it's deep enough!). What I really like about these sights are the intermingling of trees, making good bases for hammocks, slacklines, and whatever things you need to hang between trees.

One of the best parts of staying in the Blackwoods campground is the proximity to the cliffs over the ocean. From Loop A, there is a little trail that takes you to to Park Loop road. Cross it, and you're on some rocky cliffs over the ocean. Amazing views. Awesome for bouldering too, if you're into climbing. And one night every trip, my friends and I bring our sleeping bags and sleep on the rocks over the ocean. 10/10 would recommend. Just make sure you're above the high tide line! The stars are unbeatable, as well as the sunrise. We really stay at Blackwoods campground just for this being close by.

Simply Acadia Style Camping

Blackwoods campground is a very large, very busy, somewhat rustic campground in the heart of Acadia National Park. We camped here 3 nights in July and every site was full. The sites are fairly standard, with a picnic table and fire ring. There are bathrooms generally within a short walk from each site, but no showers. There is a private shower house just outside the campground, bring your roll of quarters with you. You can also purchase firewood just about everywhere outside the campground itself. There is a shuttle bus that runs to the campground and will take you to various other parts of the park including many trailheads. We camped in site A31 which was directly off the campground loop road, but felt more private than many of the sites located in the inner circles of the campground. We could walk a short trail from camp to the ocean. There is no WiFi, and little cell phone coverage at all within the area. Amenities are few within the campground itself, but this is an area people come to explore and take in the beauty of Acadia, not hang out at camp.

Large sites with trailheads and shuttle from campground

Llocated inside Acadia Mational Park, this campground offers you a great immersion experience of this natural gem. The free island shuttle has a stop at the campground which makes it very convenient to depart for hikes from your campsite and combine various trails for a longer excursion and you can jump on a shuttle to get back, eliminating need to drive. There are trailheads that leave from the campsite and there is a beach view access walking distance from the campground. My only complaint is there is no hot water in the sinks and no showers on site. There is a shower location down the road, but be prepared with lots of quarters. It costs 8 quarters for 4 minutes of hot water, so make sure to prep accordingly. Overall, I am still leaving 5 stars because it is such a gorgeous location and the price was good for the central location on the island.

campground nice, Acadia amazing!

No hookups, no showers and no playgrounds in campgrounds. But it was very clean and well managed. Acadia was stunning! so much to do and see, we could easily spend a week here!