Yurts
About Schoodic Woods Campground

Schoodic Woods is located in breathtaking Acadia National Park on the Maine coast. Located on the Schoodic Peninsula, this campground is 1.5 miles (2.5 km) southeast of Winter Harbor. It is approximately 60-70 minutes from Bar Harbor and the main section of the park. Visitors venture to Acadia for its picturesque scenery, historic sites and recreational activities, including walking, hiking, biking and kayaking.

Recreation

The Schoodic Peninsula provides numerous recreational activities without the congestion of Mount Desert Island. A six-mile (10 km), one-way loop road offers views of lighthouses, seabirds, and forested islands. Vehicle turnouts provide opportunities to stop and enjoy the scenery. Stopping on the road and parking outside of designated pull-offs are prohibited. There are over eight miles of hiking trails on the Schoodic Peninsula and an additional eight miles of bike paths. Arey Cove Road leads to Schoodic Point, a windswept, rocky point providing spectacular views of Mount Desert Island.

Facilities

The majority of the sites are for tents; other sites can accommodate RVs and trailers. All sites (except for group sites and hike-in sites) have electric, and B-Loop sites have electric and water. Flush toilets, potable running water, and a dump station are provided, as are picnic tables and fire rings in each site. All campground roads are paved. Acadia's Island Explorer shuttle buses provide free service between park destinations and local communities. Shuttle service is available on the Schoodic Peninsula from late-May to mid-October. There is no shuttle service between the Schoodic Peninsula and Mt. Desert Island. Grocery and supply stores are located in Winter Harbor, 1.5 miles from the campground. Shower and laundry facilities are located in nearby Winter Harbor. There are no showers at the campground. Open fires (campfires) are strictly prohibited in all hike-in sites. Fire rings do not exist at these sites. Camp stoves such as white gas or iso-butane cartridges are allowed. (No biofuel stoves: i.e., those that burn twigs, sticks, cones, etc.).

Natural Features

Acadia is comprised of a cluster of islands on the Atlantic coast of Maine. Mountains, lakes, streams, wetlands, forests, meadows and beaches are all found within roughly 45,000 acres comprising Acadia. At Schoodic Woods, all sites are wooded and within a 15-minute walk of the ocean.

Nearby Attractions

Acadia National Park is surrounded by scenic island harbors and quaint towns. The Schoodic Institute is located near Schoodic Point and has an Education and Research Center supporting science and education initiatives throughout the park. Beautiful Lamoine State Park is just 21 miles from Acadia, with boating, fishing, and scenic views of Frenchman's Bay.

Charges & Cancellations

A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation. Late cancellations are subject to additional fees. For full details see NRRS Reservation Policy

ADA Access: N

Sites
Fee Info
Notice: If you cancel a group campsite reservation within 7 days of the scheduled arrival date, you will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's use fee. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.
National Park Service
Hike In
Schoodic Woods Campground is located in Acadia National Park in Maine
Directions
Take I-95 north to Bangor, Maine, then take Route 1A east to Ellsworth. In Ellsworth, head north on U.S. Route 1 for approximately 17.3 miles to Hwy 186. Turn right on Hwy 186 and drive 6.5 miles. Turn left at yield sign, continue .5 miles and turn right on Schoodic Loop Road. Take Schoodic Loop Road for 1.0 mile. Campground will be on your left. GPS Address: 54 Farview Dr. Winter Harbor, ME 04693
16 Reviews of Schoodic Woods Campground
Loved the peace & quiet of the Schoodic Peninsula!

When we made the decision to visit Acadia National Park, I blindly made a reservation for a site at one of the campgrounds, not really paying attention to where specifically in the park the campground was located. The Schoodic Woods Campground is located on the Schoodic Peninsula, which is east of Mt. Desert Island. It’s still within Acadia National Park but is located outside Winter Harbor and is not near Bar Harbor like the majority of the park. At first I was a little bummed we were about an hour away from the main part of the park, but my mood immediately changed once we arrived. Oh my goodness, if you’re looking to connect w/the wonders of Acadia & avoid the crowds, stay here! It was amazing & the lack of light pollution at night made the star-gazing spectacular! There’s biking, hiking, a ferry that runs seasonally to Bar Harbor, and quaint harbor communities nearby. We loved it!

Fantastic

Amazing campground with huge spots and clean bathrooms. Easy pick up spot for the Schoodic bus line. No hot water of showers. Great nightly ranger programs. Easy access to trails and bike paths.

Average Priced but Great Campground

Great campground with a decent price. I’ll give a list of pros and cons.

Pros: -Friendly Rangers, they do classes for the kids as well! -Beautiful area -Amazingly maintained -Super close hiking with awesome trails -Close to town but still very woodsy(we -had a rabbit sharing our campsite with us!) -Great access to bathroom facilities, there are outdoor sinks for washing dishes. -Spread our enough so you have privacy -Ground is great for a tent, nice and flat. -Lots of variety for campsites, tenting, RV/Camper, hike in sites and group sites -Tons to do and see with in a reasonable drive or hike from the campground

Cons: -I’ll start with a fairly important one, NO showers on the property. You have to drive to a different facility (there are a few options) and you have to pay to shower. Ours was $4 for 6 minutes not bad priced but when you’ve been hiking all weekend and it’s 90* 6 minutes is a bit of a rush to really get all the sweat and grime off you Wouldn’t be bad if you have a solar shower, enjoy being smelly or have a camper with a shower.

-Not all sites have electric AND water hook ups. Once again not a big deal. Most sites have both I believe, some only has electric like ours did and I believe some don’t have either. We didn’t need water because we brought plenty in water storage jugs and the bathroom/dish washing sinks was all we needed.

-Cannot carry in your own wood for fires, it’s reasonable and understandable. But it does make it a hassle to go buy wood, granted it’s cheap from people selling it along the road but I have a bunch split and dried at home to I needed to use but instead I had to buy some.

I don’t really have very many negatives, it’s a great place and it’s a National Park so it’s very well maintained! I definitely would recommend it for your next leisurely camping trip. It’s nothing hardcore but just enough to get outdoors and enjoy your time adventuring around!

I definitely will be back to this one.

Quiet

This side of the park has less to do than Mount Desert, but it's still very lovely and very quiet. We were there in mid June and made reservations ahead of time, but there were still some sites empty on a Friday. The site was nice, staff was decent. One worker was somewhat short and condescending towards me, but overall alright.

Quiet campground with dark skies

This campground is out of the way and far away from the crowds on Mt Desert Island!  It's fairly compact, and the campsites a little close to each other, but each site still manages to feel private.  The campsite is brand new, and the amenities are very nice.  The welcome center even has free wifi (though, leave your devices at home!).  The bathhouses are clean and have flush toilets and running water in the sinks, but they do not have showers, which seems like an odd choice.

There are some good hiking trails nearby, and the sky is DARK at night!  On a clear night, this is the perfect place for some stargazing.

Each site has a campfire ring, but the rings do not have grill grates.  So bring your own or bring some roasting sticks if you want to cook over the campfire.

You are not allowed to collect downed wood for fires, but there is a self service firewood stand in the nearby town of Winter Harbor, so bring some small bills for the payment box.

All-in-all, this is a highly recommended campsite!  Have fun!

Mosquitos, Mosquitos, Mosquitos

This is a National Park which was very clean with some large sites. It was somewhat big rig friendly. I was traveling with two other motorhomes (caravan) and my site was the smallest. Electric and water was good - no sewer. WiFi was non-existent unless you got a site near the main office. Cellular reception was very mediocre. If you want to lose contact with family, friends, business… this is the place to go.

The rules are extremely enforced. My left tire on the car was 6 inches on the grass… the rangers left a violation notice on my car. Unfortunately my site was quite small for a 40 foot motorhome so I had to park very close to the road. One evening, just after showering, I hear a bang on the front door. Ranger S.S. (Initials of ranger) told me I am not allowed to run the generator. My generator was not on. It was the 3 air-conditioners on the roof. Standard AC’s from the factory. His body language was obvious that he did not believe me so I offered to show him where the generator was - since it is a diesel pusher, right up front where we were talking. Also… why would I be running my generator if I was hooked up to 50AMP service. I also told him that generators are not located on roofs of RV’s. He finally relented when he saw I was getting quite aggravated with his body language. Another camper near our site told me that she was treated very rudely by the staff. I do not know who she spoke to but Ranger S.S. needs to take interpersonal skills classes and maybe a class on where generators are looked on motorhomes. They obviously will harass someone that is not doing a generator violation but do not enforce barking dogs…

There was only one dump station for Loop B. Each RV took about 15 minutes. If you are third in line, you will be waiting… Since there is no sewer, you would think they would offer more than one dump station.

No matter if you wear long sleeves and long pants, plus use bug spray, the mosquitos are vicious. Between gnats and mosquitos, sitting outside to eat is nearly impossible. Otherwise, this is a visually beautiful park.

The Quiet side of Acadia

This is a tough Campground to get into. Reservations are almost a must. These sites have power and water. Dump station nearby in the park. Beautiful new Visitor Center.

Worth the effort. Many things to do in the area, and great seafood.

Private sites

We loved this campground! The sites are large and private. The restrooms and dishwashing stations are kept clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Schoodic Point and Frazier Point offer breathtaking views and are just a short drive or bike ride away. Our kids loved Frazier Point at low tide and spent hours searching in the tide pools. Sunsets are amazing here as well. Winter and Birch Harbor offer plenty of local dining options and most importantly, ice cream! Although there arent showers here, you can pay to shower in Winter Harbor in a new building which also houses 4 washers and dryers. Can’t wait to go back!

beautiful

great and quiet large private spaces with full hookup and wifi .schoodic point park loop is something to see

One of the nicest I've ever stayed in...

It was such a nice campground that I almost don't want others to find out about it. This part of Acadia is relatively new - it was an old Naval base and the facilities were turned over to the park service in 2002. The campground has two loops. Loop A has small sites suitable for a small camper/tent camper or tents. All the sites have electricity and water - no sewer. There are some hike to sites for tents. Loop B has huge sites which can accommodate very large tour-bus like RVs. We had our 27' pop up and our truck and could have put another two vehicles in our site (B-11). Each site in this loop also has electricity and water, but no sewer. There is a dump station. The sites are all gravel which was great considering that it rained for the first two days we were there. It kept the mud down. The sites are pretty private - you don't really see your neighbors. The bathrooms have cold running water, toilets and an outside sink to wash dishes. They also have trash dumpsters, recycling and even dog poop baggies. The bathrooms do NOT have showers, which is a shame since it wouldn't have been much to add them. These are by far the BEST bathrooms we have ever used at a campground. So clean, new and well done. Our site was pretty far from the bathrooms, however, so if you usually like to be near the bathrooms, pay attention to the map. We enjoyed having the electricity and the water hook ups. The only negative (and it was slight) was that the water tasted a little bit funny - like it had some sort of chemical in it. We ended up getting water from the Ranger station to make tea and coffee with each morning. But it was fine to wash and clean up with. We were there in early June so there weren't any ranger programs, but the bus was running just for the Schoonic part of the park. The Ranger station was very nice and the ranger there was very helpful. It is about an hour drive to get to the main part of Acadia or Bar Harbor. We went there two of the five days we were there and I could see where it would get old to make that drive if we wanted to do more in the main part of the park. One other note - we were freezing! If you go in early June be prepared for colder temps. It was down in the low 40s almost every night and never got warmer than 60 degrees during the day. We used our heater every night. The bugs weren't bad yet (probably because of the cold), but the black flies were starting to come out. I can only imagine they get worse.