About Cobscook Bay State Park
$20.00
No Market
Cobscook Bay State Park is located in Maine
17 Reviews of Cobscook Bay State Park
Lots of privacy but that's the only positive

If you want the most private and quiet campground experience you can get without boondocking, this place is for you if you can deal with the negatives.  But in my opinion, it was too rustic and outdated for even me (and I've seen some bad campgrounds in my travels).

To start, when booking our site I was under the impression that it was on the water.. well it is, if you climb down a cliff with a sheer 30 foot drop.  So off the bat, I was already very disappointed because I was expecting we'd be able to launch kayaks directly from our site (there is a public boat launch in the state park, however).  Additionally, our site (and many others) are actually walk in sites with your own parking space - we had to carry our stuff about 30 yards into the site over tons of exposed roots, which for some people could be very dangerous; nowhere on the website does it say they are walk-in sites either.  Our site pad had almost no level areas at all, so our tent was at a slight angle, the bug house we put over the picnic table (totally necessary - see below) was all over the place, and even the included fire pit was on a steep incline, with barely any room for chairs unless you want to try and sit on a slope without falling.  We almost switched with a neighboring site that was more level but were glad we didn't - when it rained two days later, that entire site was flooded for half a day with about 2" of standing water! They really need to engineer the sites better by cutting down a few more trees to increase the size of the site and level them out better.  Also, because the place is so heavily wooded and damp, the bugs are INSANE.  If we didn't have a screen house to put over the table, I would have stayed in the tent the whole time because I was getting eaten alive.

The facilities were one of the worst parts of the stay, however.  I will preface this by saying I am used to using vault toilets, and generally do not have a problem using them for short periods of time.  But their toilets.. I don't even know how to describe them, as I think even calling them pit toilets is over selling them.  The toilets are located in what are essentially little wooden lean-tos, with no engineering whatever to cut down on the smell.  You could literally smell the out houses from about 30 yards away, and every time I would go to use one it was FILLED with flies.  I have never in my life had that experience using vault or primitive toilets.  They are clearly not cleaned very often either (although hard to tell because, surprise!, the toilets were black in color).  Additionally, They are open on the top and bottom, so you can hear EVERYTHING that goes on in them from pretty far away, and they don't even have hand sanitizer dispensers, which even porta potties have.  Their showers were marginally better - the stalls themselves were fairly clean, and they did have nice hot water.  They ask for 25 cents per shower which is totally fair considering there's no time limit.  But even something as simple as the shower curtains could use improvement - they had the cheapest of the cheap dollar store curtains that cling to everything and don't manage to do much to contain the shower spray.  Overall, their facilities need a huge improvement.

Also, this campground had a huge amount of downed dead wood throughout, which to me is very concerning.  If they had one lightening strike in the area, there could be a very dangerous wild fire that could put a lot of people in harm's way.  In my opinion, they should have a controlled burn in the off season, or let people take the downed wood for fires.

I will say that the amount of privacy between sites is probably the best I've ever experienced at a campground - we could barely see our neighbors.  This was probably the only positive to this campground, in my opinion.  Besides the rangers - they were very friendly and helpful.  Nearby Lubec was a fun town to explore, but the kayaking in the area was a little boring (the same views every place you look, at least when kayaking the coastal area near the state park).  There are tons of hiking trails, however.

I would not stay here again, and neither would my boyfriend.

Peaceful weekend!!

We love state parks. We stayed here 3 nights. We had site 23. It was a huge, pull thru site. Mostly grassy. Very private. Only kind of complaint was it was very buggy. It had a huge grassy area with a playground, picnic area, and horseshoes.

Wild and beautiful

Very private sites, many offer water frontage. There is a bathhouse with 3 showers and many pit toilets throughout the campground. No hookups. Limited RV sites and very limited for over 20 feet. Miles of hiking and close to many beautiful places like Reversing Falls, Quoddy Lighthouse, and the Bay of Fundy.

Sea air & ocean views.

My favorite campground, the sites are grassy and huge! There are no hookups, it’s a State Park. There is a dump station. There are flush toilets and showers that are outdated, but I would guess that by this year they would have been replaced with the new ones in all the other campgrounds. Almost all the sites in the RV loop are pull through. So much privacy in these sites unless you choose the two that are right on the road. Some RV’s can get into the water sites. This campground doesn’t seem as crowded as the other parks. It’s a drive to get here, but I think it’s worth it.

Loved it.

It’s been several years since our family stayed at this campground. We had a secluded site which sloped down to the bay. Very quiet and an incredible place to star gaze. I hope to return someday.

Paddlers Paradise!

Surrounded by water on 3 sides, this state park has a lot to offer. Well off the beaten track on the tidal backwater of Cobscook Bay, this park has a wide variety of sites to suit everyone’s style of camping. From full water and electrical RV hook-up sites, to tent-only camping loops, you can find your own camping bliss in this amazing park.

Each site comes with the standard picnic table and fire pit, but many have a shelter over the table as well. There are many pit-toilets scattered throughout, and the centralized bath house only offers inexpensive showers and sinks, no flush toilets however.

Additionally, there is a huge playground for the kids, as well as designated picnic sites complete with fire pit and picnic shelters. The campground loops wind around small headlands into the bay, so there are literally dozens of waterfront sites, but they are of course the most popular.

The bay is tidal, and has a HUGE tidal range, so opportunities for tide pooling, paddling, and other water sports just need a little planning ahead.   Be sure to check out the reversing falls, just a 20 minute drive from the park. There is a nice boat ramp and picnic area just north of the park on the main road.

Calais is the nearest town, about 30 minutes away, and has all the you need while camping in the area.

Heaven

This is as close to heaven as you can get. Huge state park. Tent sites and RV sites are on separate peninsulas. No electricity so it’s quiet. Absolutely stunning sites on the ocean. Great place to launch your exploration of Maine’s Bold Coast.

Quiet, private, scenic

Loved the privacy and remoteness of this park. We had a tent site (53) that had a short root-laden walk into the site, but not bad and well worth the bay view. Woke early enough for the sunrise on the bay, which was spectacular (and first in the country!). Great home base for exploring this rustic coastal part of Maine; totally enjoyed: Lubec, West Quoddy Lighthouse, Campobello Island, Eastport, Reversing Falls, Western Head Trail (amazing) Sipps Head Trail, Shackford Trail (careful; not well marked interior and we nearly got lost at dusk) and Machias. Love this area! And the campground, while rustic, has quarter-operated showers; excellent bonus! Highly recommend this place.

Really great hammock sites

A lot of these campsites are near the bluffs. The tide goes in and out, so be prepared for that. We enjoyed hearing the water from our hammocks at night. There was a big grassy field I that had millions of fireflies at night. I remember just standing there with my mouth open staring. It was on the the way to the restrooms from the Bluffs area. Being near the water offered a nice breeze also. I wouldn't mind coming back to this site, we didn't get to stay as long as we wanted.

While you are here - good day trips are into the town of Lubec, Quoddy Head, Hamilton Cove, and a tad of a drive Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge.

GOrgeous, quiet, private, clean, memory making.

The sites on the water are amazing but even wooded sites are private and fun. Some require a little "hike" in but make it worth it for the privacy. Bring bug spray.