Houlton, MAINE

Most Recent Houlton Camping Reviews
Rockstar Energy Drinks

Rockstar Energy Drinks need your Car, Van, Boat, Bike, Scooter, Wheelchair, Truck, Containers or a Concrete Drums for an Advertisements, We need to Plaster our Sticker on it, You get ($500 Weekly) Email me for more informations: johnbryan037@gmail.com, johnbryan3737@gmail.com

Thanks.

Very nice campground

I enjoyed staying here, the campground was quiet, clean, and the staff and owners were very friendly… I would recommend and will be ack

Basic Camping

Just a basic field that can accommodate tents & big RVs. Big field in the back that my dog loved to run around in. Water & electrical hookups. Next to a big road that you can hear. There is a little bathhouse with toilets & a shower. Also does have a washer/dryer available. We stayed in a camper during September/October so there weren’t many people around.

Basic open campground for RVs and tents

I was in Presque Isle for the annual Crown of Maine balloon festival and for future reference I wanted to check out area campgrounds. If you’re heading into town from the south, you’ll see the campground before you see the sign which is tucked in among the trees. Check in at the back door of the house.

Sites occupy a large field with woods to the right and farmland to the left. Sites are grassy and open and can accommodate both tents and very large RVs. It is by the main road, so you will hear road traffic. If you are in a tent and dependent upon facilities, there is a small bathroom with toilets and shower. They are cramped and dated; there's a small porch on the front and the paint is peeling.

Beautifully maintained

This is her second time at this park. We came back because we thought it was such a beautiful place. Sites are grassy with flowers And sprinklers. Sites are all level with gravel. There are picnic tables. Reasonable and discounts accepted. Not far off of the highway.

Beautiful park

This was an amazing stay would love to go back

Beautiful family campground

I have stayed here twice and loved it both times. The first time I went as a family the second alone and took in the views of the beautiful trails they had to offer. Everyone is friendly and they offer a clean shower house. Families here hang outside and interact with each other. Would definitely go back

Nice site markers

A bit crowded but very family friendly. Lit site markers made it easy to find your site. Not great site vehicle parking. We went on a holiday weekend with lots of events planned. Family hayride was fun. Kids enjoyed riding bikes and using the game room. Pool was clean and in a central location. Quick easy walk on a path to store and small restaurant.

Well maintained

We had a riverfront site, enjoyed our stay

Family friendly

Was a very nice campground lots of activity for the families, level lots great store overall a nice place to stay

Lovely lake

Great place to spend time on the lake

Wilderness camping in a new national monument

It was tricky to find any information on this campsite and then the loop road didn't open until just before I left the Millinocket area. It has been a very wet spring after a heavy winter, so there were lots of delays and it didn't' open until after Memorial Day, so I didn't get to stay here, but I did get to visit!

Because the Katahdin Woods and Waters (KWW) National Monument is so new, information and services are limited. Sometime this summer they are supposed to erect signs to the park; until them you're dependent on small signs and trusting you haven't missed a turn.

On to the campsite…it's first come, first served, at the beginning of the gravel loop road in the southern section of KWW. There are picnic tables, vault toilet, fire ring, and a tent pad. To light a fire, you will need a fire permit. Per their website, "A free permit is easily acquired prior to a visit by calling the Northern Regional Office of the Maine Fire Service at 207 435-7963 or visiting them at 45 Radar Street in Ashland, Maine." It's bear country, so plan appropriately. There's a spot with easy access to the pond/stream for launching a kayak (I"m not sure how deep it is, esp mid-summer) or wildlife watching (moose, bear, birds).

The 17-mile loop road features overlooks that include views of Mt. Katahdin, trails to peaks and waterfalls, and multi-use trails for bicycles, horses. There's an information board here as well.

You'll want to pick up any necessary items and fuel in Millinocket before you head into the Monument. Don't count on cell service. Be prepared to change a flat tire.

To get information about KWW, you MAY be able to visit the visitor's center in Millinocket (it was only open 1-4pm on Thursday; it has longer hours during the summer), but I found the best source was a Friends of KWW booklet that I picked up at a Maine Visitor's Center that included a map centerfold. There's a map here, too: Katahdin Woods and Waters Map

Nice state park

Stopped for a one night visit. Huge site (most are big). Good space between neighbors. Bathroom/showers are free and spotless. I didn’t have time to hike but there are lots of options. Very quiet, although I was one of two camping parties in the place. Close to town. Very relaxing. Take your own wood. $5 gets you a puny ‘bundle’. Mine was wet.

Small and wonderful

Lovely little campground with campsites, lean tos, and cabins right on the river and near Baxter State Park. My wife and I winter camped here in a lean to in sub zero temperatures two years in a row, and while the owners thought we were nuts for not opting for a cabin they couldn’t have been nicer or more accommodating.

Isolated Beautiful Campground

We arrived at a group site on the campground and where blown away by the beauty. the grounds are in wife open grasslands on the edge of a forest and ringed by mountains. The campground has canoes available to rent for $1 hr with access to a huge lake via half a mile of various streams. I highly recommend this site just remember to lock up or string up your food. My friend left a bag of chips on the table at night, when we woke up the chips where eaten and a raccoon left us a "present" on the table.

quiet camping

nice quiet campground in north Baxter State Park.

Camping in the County!

We love to camp in State Parks, and the North East has plenty of them to try. For many years, I have looked at a spot on my Maine map called Aroostook State Park, way up north near the great city of Presque Isle. On the spur of the moment, our well travelled group decided to spend the weekend camping in Aroostook County and the great Maine woods!

Nice camp sites

Overall the experience is awesome. Camp grounds are a decent size. Lots of trails hike.

Great basecamp for accessing the new Katahdin Woods and Water National Monument and Baxter State Park

We were interested in kayaking on ponds and streams in the KAWW or Baxter State Park. Since we have a trailer and our buddies have a RV, we new we could not get into South Branch Pond in BSP. We decided to try Shin Pond Village Campground, a privately owned place in Mt. Chase on the way to the northern entrance of BSP.

The campground is right off Route 159, which is now a scenic by way in the KAWW National Monument. Although our sites were close to the road, there was so little traffic it really didn't matter! Sites were flat and open, with decent privacy for a privately owned campground. There was a really good store and a great diner attached to the main office building. Campfire wood was abundant (and for sale by the campground) and each site had a picnic table, fire ring, and fire place to cook on.

The campground is between upper and lower Shin Ponds, with easy boat access to both. We were about 15 miles from the northern entrance of Baxter State Park (BSP), so we chose to travel to South Branch Pond to spend the day kayaking. A great choice as you can see from the pictures.