The best WALK IN camping near
Sun , LOUISIANA

Most Recent Sun Camping Reviews
Bad for tent campers

In a basic sense the facilities worked and things were organized well but the park is kind of dumpy.. However, sites were paved pull ins with nothing but low lying grass around them. I was lucky enough to foresee the flooding potential and put my tent on the asphalt pad, because an inch of overnight rain flooded everything around it. That said, the asphalt was lumpy and my sleep uncomfortable.

Subpar at best

Primitive campsite had lots of trash on the ground (kids socks, plastic, toilet paper). Port-o-pottys were disgusting. Stayed one night on my cross country drive and it was one night too many.

Overlanding across the country

I will start out by saying this was recommended by Dyrt app. I am enjoying the app and has nothing to do with that. To start this was a decent spot very close to the French Quarter, the people were very nice. I gave this 2 stars for multiple reasons. Starting about 4pm the rail yard became a drag strip until about 3am. You want to talk about loud cars, guns firing, and cops, this was it. Very loud!! As the night went on it was alright and we dealt with it. The gun shots got louder and closer. I heard ricochets wiz through the park. Again I was up high in an RTT. I will also say that half the RV’s here look like they are at their final destination. Not many of them look moveable anymore. Lastly, the final draw was broke when three guys were creeping through the spots. When I got out of my vehicle, they took off and ran. Then the blew out the gate in a truck. Not sure if they stole it or if they stole other stuff and rolled. I would not recommend this if you have a family, also if you are in a tent. The place is gated but there is no security and you are staying at your own risk. Again I will say the owners are nice, but when they have an additional fence around their house and all doors are locked that’s a key to move on. We left at like 3am.

Not great before the hurricane.

There’s quite a lot of hurricane damage, but I get the impression it wasn’t that nice before the damage occurred. There isn’t much to do unless the water park is open. The whole area is basically a swamp and the hiking trail is therefore quite wet and sloppy. Fire rings are in some sites but not all. Same with picnic tables. The gulf view area is essentially a parking lot and there’s a road between the camping area and the water. Also, no beach. There’s a sea wall and then the water. A railroad runs by quite close to the park, though only a few trains a day go by. There are biting, swarming gnats that somehow manage to swarm and bit when it’s only 50 degrees.

The positives are full hookups, though the sewer on spot 129 was recessed into concrete at a weird angle and could not be connected. The concrete site was quite level and easy to get into. Cheap rates.

Simple & free

This campground is a small open field by a road and river. There were some other rvs and tents even I arrived. I felt safe & it was quiet. No bathrooms or water available. You must have a (free) permit on Louisiana’s app LDWF WMA & sign in & out. I def recommend & I’ll be coming back if I need to camp out near NOLA!!

Top notch

Stayed here 4 days with some of the best customer service and hospitality. Laundry room and outhouse is very clean and the grounds are maintained by a wonderful family that will be glad to help you with your stay in the New Orleans area.

Please be respectful to the area as it's an older area and has become commercialized and butts up to the "Train tracks" and tons of outside "City noise" Great place to experience either for a night or two, or like me came back for the "Good Sam" weekly discount.

(Tip) there's and Orange tree they pick from "Just ask"

Standard Suburb State Park

Facilities were very nice. Bathrooms were all individual rooms with sink/shower/toilet. Water was hot, showers were clean. Park is really well maintained. Standard state park campsites - Close together, no privacy. It had great cell service, wifi, and was close to lots of activities.

Nice and quiet

Site 141 was in a very wooded area at the far end of all three RV areas. We stayed during the second weekend of Dec. weather was brisk with a small amount of rain on Saturday. Had a beautiful view of the water where you could fish. This spot was so quiet and peaceful, no road noise was heard the entire 3 days. There were a few other campers in neighboring spots but the rest of the area was sparsely packed.

The only issue I had with the spots were they were all uneven, but somehow I was able to level my 37’ travel trailer on the first try without any leveling aids.

The only thing I had negative review of was how low the water spigot was in the ground. But overall I would stay in this exact spot again.

Beautiful Park with plentiful wildlife!

We stayed here December 4-6 and the rangers on site were all more than friendly and helpful. The great: the park is amazingly large and long trails. Upon first parking at our campsite, we were greeted by maybe 15-20 deer and yes, a few will approach you. Maybe bring some corn so the kids can feed the deer. You may also see opossums and plenty of birds! All day and night, the bellowing croaks of the bullfrogs are to me, relaxing and making it feel more like camping. Going to sleep, we could hear the frogs through the night and I believe it was one of my best nights sleep.

The not so ugly, but may want to be aware: We had pull through spot 8 and the hookups are not in the best spot in my opinion. We have a 41’ Class A DP and the spot was plenty large, but the hookups (only electric and water) are set where they are opposite side of the bus hookups. This is not a huge issue if you have an extra water hose, but my one water hose did not reach and 2 were required. Driving in, the spot numbers are on post in the center of the pull through spots and you cannot see them until you pass the entry point. Simply facing the campsite number to the incoming traffic would remedy this and not require passing your campsite to see if it’s yours. Most all sites do not have sewage. There is a dump at the exit and upon leaving, there was a line waiting to use. That’s fine, but I did not need to dump sewage and was stuck waiting for others to use it as I could not exit due to exit being blocked. Even with these little issues, I would still be back in a heartbeat due to the amazing beauty of this park!

Looks like a blast!

Traveling through for the night. Just a few minutes from the interstate. Spacious sites. Friendly staff. They are upgrading many things in the park like electric, location of setups, etc. Has fishing and more. This park looks like a blast to come to on holidays for the family. They already have Christmas decorations up, a train ride ready and more! No doubt a great place to bring the family. Will stop by next time through. Hope it's when festivities are going.