Utopia , KANSAS

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Utopia Camping Reviews
Decent campground

Very few 50 amp site to choose from and no 50 amp sites with shade. Decent beach area with playground equipment for kids. The general store carries camping essentials, beer, and ice.

Very Nice

Nice quiet spot. I will be back for sure.

Pleasant, Free, Crowded

I got here on a Friday night in late September and took the last available campsite. The site itself was very small, definitely not big enough for a trailer or RV, but fine for my Honda Civic. There was quite a bit of noise from a youth group out on the dock until 10:30pm. Good water access with the lake. Vault toilets were clean and convenient. Very little litter. No mosquitos, lots of creepy crawlers. Good road, no issues for a sedan. This place would be perfect if it weren’t for weekend noise and availability.

Love this small, quiet, beautiful campground

This campground offers a quiet out of the way experience. There are only 15 sites, about half of which are electric and water. There are no modern restrooms or showers but there are several vaulted toilets that are cleaned quite frequently. Nestled below the dam this is a hidden gem. I camped here on Labor Day and the park was full. Prior recons of this park were only half full or less. This park sits on the Elk City Lake. It has modern (brand new) playgrounds, basketball courts, and even a sand volleyball court. The sites are spaced well apart from each other and I never heard much of my neighbors. You can only book this campground through recreation.gov. you wont be disappointed!

Primitive and quiet

There are several areas to set up camp, each area has different advantages: proximity to vault toilets, picnic tables, privacy… The area is easy to navigate and sites are lakeside.

We Didn’t Even Give Kansas a Chance

On our road-trip to Utah, we dreaded having to camp in Kansas, until a friend recommended this spot. This stunning little lake is a free site with plenty of fire rings right next to a road. PERFECT car camping. And even has a clean little bathroom. Stunning views of rolling hills and cattle. Places to fish. A little trail that leads up a small hill. Stunning stunning stunning views of wildflowers and rolling hills. Great sunrise and sunset views! Phenomenal place to stop if you’re driving through Kansas. A bit of a detour from I-70, but totally worth it.

I took Kansas for Granted

My sister and I have to drive through Kansas on our road trip to Utah. My friends have told me that it’s the worst state to drive through because it’s so flat and boring. BUT another friend recommended this campsite. OMG it’s free and it’s so cute and pretty well kept. It’s in the Flint Hills region of the state. There are rolling green hills surrounding a lovely little lake. Cottonwood trees shelter the many spaces out camp spots. Milkweed and butterfly bushes support a healthy monarch butterfly population! There’s boat / fishing access and a pretty decent bathroom. It wasn’t too buggy - and there was a lovely sunset in the wide open sky. I didn’t give Kansas a chance. And, I was wrong

Great family fishing spot

Great spot for a family with a camper that wants to do a little fishing. Each sit had its own little jetty to fish off of, a picnic table and a fire pit. Water was clean and pretty fishy. Camping spots were a little too close for me but that’s my preference.

Great spot for family camping!

This is a great spot for families, on one side of the lake is more close quarters camping, with a bathroom (non flushing) and on the other are more dispersed campsites (no bathrooms). There are no trash cans so leave with what you brought. Fires and pets are allowed. While I was there, coyotes/ wolves were howling very close to our site. There are lots of geese and ducks! Fishing is allowed too.

Chase county fishing lake

Nice little lake with free camp sites