the dyrt
About Thomson Causeway
Thomson Causeway provides the unique experience of island camping on the great Mississippi River and it's well worth a try! The western edge of the recreation area offers visitors an unobstructed view of the widest spot on the Upper Mississippi River Basin, 3.5 miles from shore-to-shore. Here, campers can enjoy memorable views of the river and the valley, and partake in plenty of great water activities. Recreation Popular activities include fishing, hiking, hunting, biking and boating. Common fish species include the channel catfish, bluegill, walleye, large mouth bass, and northern pike. The Central Trail section of the famous Mississippi River Trail passes beside the campground, offering visitors miles of walking and biking trails along the river bank. Facilities Of the 125 reservable campsites, 120 have electric hookups and 5 campsites do not have electric hookups and are for tents only. Thomson Causeway provides the comforts of modern camping, including drinking water, an accessible flush toilet, electrical hookups, shower house and boat ramp, while still providing visitors with an authentic outdoor experience.  This park also offers 2 reservable picnic shelters for day use. Natural Features The campground is built mainly on an island in the backwaters of the Mississippi River. Slow moving water on the eastern edge of the main recreation area creates a rich environment in which wildlife and fish abound. Nearby Attractions Head northbound along the river to see the Ayers Sand Prairie State Nature Preserve or the Mississippi Palisades State Park. Visit the Ingersoll Wetlands Learning Center and Fulton's Dutch Windmill. Or watch a minor league baseball game at the Clinton Lumberkings stadium. ADA Access: N
Sites
133
Drive In, Walk In, Boat In
US Army Corps of Engineers
Thomson Causeway is located in Illinois
Directions
Take IL Route 84 to Thomson, Illinois. Turn west onto Main Street, then turn south onto Lewis Avenue.
5 Reviews of Thomson Causeway
Good view

We went August,nice view but there is not much to do.Is more familly campground

Great riverside spot

We went last weekend and got lucky with a primo spot. This is a really pretty area fairly close to home so it is a good option. There is a great bike trail to enjoy and the Mississippi Pallisades state park is close by for some excellent views of the river from up on the bluffs.

Nice park, open sites. Spring river flys!

Overall Thompson was a very nice park. It was great to ride around on the great trail although we didn't make it the whole way. It was very easy to navigate around the campground on bikes. I personally don't like sites that are so open so I would not think that anybody who wants privacy would camp at this campground. Overall it was very well-kept and the hostess was very pleasant. Our sites didn't have the spring river flies but there were several sites closer to the Mississippi river that were covering their RVs intense with these big ugly flies. Our sites were behind the backwaters and we didn't have any flies.

Beautiful area
  1. Loved the beauty, biking and site. Tons of wildlife. The cement pad and picnic table were really nice. There was 4 dumping stations fast exit.
Don't visit without a dash cam

A young "officer" pulled me over because I drove to the right side of the road, while still staying on the pavement, and went over the speed bump with the left hand tires, but not the right hand tires. I was driving about 1mph. Then he tried to tell me that I was speeding. The limit is 10mph, and I definitely made sure I was not above that. He then wrote me a "ticket", meaning that if I had a 2nd one w/i 12 months, that they would issue a fine. I am a senior citizen in a Toyota RV…couldn't have looked like trouble. Now I know what happens to hall monitors after high school!