The best RV SITES camping near
Climbing Hill , IOWA

Most Recent Climbing Hill Camping Reviews
Martin's Access

Primitive camping was awesome

quiet park in the country

I went to college nearby, so i knew of this park but had never visited. On our way to Wyoming from Chicago, we stopped to stay here overnight.  Other than saying it's a nice place in the woods, in what is otherwise open farmland, I don't have much else I can say.

Busy

Stone State Park, Sioux City, Iowa

End of a not to long day driving across Iowa……corn, lotsa corn! We stopped at Dolliver Memorial State Park for a hike about midday, it looked a bit better taken care of then Stone SP.

This is basically a small primitive campground with electric added to some sites. Not horrible for an overnight….

First impression…..I considered getting back on the road. The people that I saw in the meager campground looked somewhat homeless. No offense and they do need to stay somewhere however they could also keep their areas decluttered and detrashed. There was a family staying on the far side of the ditch that seemed to be camping.

There was constant vehicle traffic around the small loop my site was on, they seemed to have no purpose other then to stare. The campground shower house was used by whomever felt like using it which also added to the traffic.

After Maquoketa Cave SP this is a disappointment. The trails were overgrown and the map was not easy to orient. I only explored so far so I may have missed the cool stuff that signifies this park. There was sketchy coverage for your phone so I couldn’t pull up Alltrails, make sure to download before You drive in.

Clean & kid friendly

Well kept & family friendly camping in Iowa! We were able to reserve an electric unit (#30) right off the lake and across the road from the large playground (~5 setups for different age groups). We could watch the kids play while getting food ready or preparing a line to throw in the water. Short walk to the very clean restrooms with flush toilets & showers. Will come back!

Nice Family Getaway

This campground was perfect for a small family reunion. We rented out their 3 cabins and had a whole area to ourselves. The kids could walk down to the sand and a bridge. Very well kept, you must clean up after yourself - which should always be the case anyway.

Clean, very nice campground, kid friendly

There’s a pretty big playground near all the sites. When I went in the first weekend of October they had a little trick or treat night too! Extremely nice amenities; flush toilet and showers. Very nice for Iowa state parks.

Not my kind of place I guess

I stopped by here at this site. And honestly I was not really all the impressed. I will say they do have some kind of security. Because I was not in the park long trying to visit a friend. Before I was approached and asked for a park pass. They do have a swimming pool on premises. But the sites were almost on top of each other. And honestly people were not real friendly. The lake access was nowhere as good as the Lewis and Clark side of Blue Lake. I guess just not my kind of camping.

Nice, and clean lake

This place was pleasantly clean to me. Blue lake which is the lake this state park sits on. When you drive in from the road you see on your right the lake and to your left are houses. You go farther down and you see picnic accesses off the lake. And there is a swimming area and beach further down with a fully accessible restroom. There is also a keelboat on display and visitor center with a musuem. The center was closed when we were here, (thanks covid). Behind that is a dock and a little look out tower next to it. This is where we saw people kayak mainly. You go farther down and this was where the campsites were. This appeared to be more of a park set up for rv and campers than any tents. You go farther down pass this and you find more accesses to trails, and taller grass. This is a great park especially for a rv, and how clean it is.

Great quiet lake less than 5 minutes from Tekamah

Summit is a great lake just west of Tekamah, and less than a hour from Omaha. Turning the corner off the highway to go to the park, the first thing we see are 2 eagles soaring over the area and lake. You come around the last bend or turn and there it is this 190 acre beauty. You come into the road on the other side of the campground and there is a day use area. Then on the other side of the road is a restaurant. Then you get to the other side of the lake, and there is the campgrounds. The big thing that separates Summit from some of the other lakes in this area, is the abounds of trees and more shade. There is a few fishing accesses, as well as a dock. This lake is one of the better kayaking lakes I have been to. This thing is surrounded by hills and creates a valley or bowl. This hills seem to offer a form of wind block as well as 2 miles of hiking and biking trails. There is a beach, and swimming area near the dock. There are basic restrooms as well as shower house available in the campground. The fishing appears to be good as well, but I did not fish yet. This is a campground that I am definitely going back to again and spend more time at.

Beautiful Park

Ponca State Park is beautiful. The drive from Omaha was so quick and easy. The park is beautiful with tons of trails and things to explore. The overlooks are great, you can see so much of the river. Bathroom areas are well kept and so are the grounds. The campsites are well spread out and we found the perfect spot away from other sites and with great shade. Dog friendly was a huge perk. We definitely will return!