Cleghorn , IOWA

Camping Iowa Cleghorn

Most Recent Cleghorn Camping Reviews
Martin's Access

Primitive camping was awesome

quiet park in the country

I went to college nearby, so i knew of this park but had never visited. On our way to Wyoming from Chicago, we stopped to stay here overnight.  Other than saying it's a nice place in the woods, in what is otherwise open farmland, I don't have much else I can say.

Busy

Stone State Park, Sioux City, Iowa

End of a not to long day driving across Iowa……corn, lotsa corn! We stopped at Dolliver Memorial State Park for a hike about midday, it looked a bit better taken care of then Stone SP.

This is basically a small primitive campground with electric added to some sites. Not horrible for an overnight….

First impression…..I considered getting back on the road. The people that I saw in the meager campground looked somewhat homeless. No offense and they do need to stay somewhere however they could also keep their areas decluttered and detrashed. There was a family staying on the far side of the ditch that seemed to be camping.

There was constant vehicle traffic around the small loop my site was on, they seemed to have no purpose other then to stare. The campground shower house was used by whomever felt like using it which also added to the traffic.

After Maquoketa Cave SP this is a disappointment. The trails were overgrown and the map was not easy to orient. I only explored so far so I may have missed the cool stuff that signifies this park. There was sketchy coverage for your phone so I couldn’t pull up Alltrails, make sure to download before You drive in.

Nice smaller campground

Hagge Park has only 15 sites available with full hookups, but it is a great, quieter place than most. Nice shaded areas. There are some primitive sites too. It also has 1 cabin for rent at a reasonable price. There are restrooms & showers, but we have never used them, so I can't review them. We love hiking the trails there & almost always observe fisherman along the river. There aren't a ton of trails, but what the ones there are beautiful & well maintained. You can get a great workout😉 We will go back!

Peaceful!

We love this park. We have never been there when it's really crowded, but we know it gets that way. Sites aren't crunched together, so you have privacy. Trails are nice. Everything is well maintained. Showers & bathrooms are awesome! We almost always see wildlife when hiking😁

Scenic Park-South Sioux City

We have stayed here multiple times, always accommodating, always clean. The sites closer to the river tend to be quieter. This is a city-run park and offers plenty to do. Sites are not crammed together and the staff is always helpful. Would highly recommend.

Hidden Gem

This is a fairly new campground that has a lot to offer.

The pull through sites are fully concrete and level. They all have a huge table and stone fire pit. Plenty of room for a second vehicle.

Full hookups are great.

Tons of activities to do here. There’s fishing, boating, biking, and swimming. The beach has giant floating lily pads that the kids loved. There are showers on the beach to wash off feet after you’re done swimming.

You can order firewood, ice, or worms, and they will drop it off at your site. I believe you can even rent or request a golf cart to make getting around easier.

The only regret I have is not staying longer. Truly a wonderful place.

Sprint/T-mobile data was around 56 Mbps down.

Nice park need updates.

Very clean park with lots of camp sites. Checked online said they were booked but called anyway to double check and they had multiple spots available. They DO NOT have water hookups at each site, the lady in the phone said they had water but didn’t clarify you have to fill up. I got trailer all disconnected and leveled and finally realized, no water. Had to re hook up and go to spicket to fill. Other then that nice campground near lake and has a very small beach front and picnic area.

Ok stop for a night

No real complaints. Clean campground, friendly hosts. Prefer more nature, but not a bad stop on a long drive. Right on river, but huge park with lots of campers, and tucked in between soccer fields. Safe and convenient though, and had a camp fire. Wifi not very good, but electric and water hookups were fine.

Small campground in a large state park

This is a large state park in the northwest corner of Iowa, surprisingly wooded considering how close to Sioux City it is located. Touted as a year-round park, there is a large network of trails, some of which can be used as equestrian. HOWEVER, the trails are not labeled and there is no (or very fleeting) cell service so that even after looking at the map (located on a board in the park, not a paper one), I wandered aimlessly around the park getting lost. One of the trailheads requires that you tramp directly through Site 12 to access! I explored this trail for approximately a quarter of a mile, but it became very overgrown and because I was not sure where I was going, I ended up turning around.

The campground is divided into three sections

• Sites 1-11 are located on either side of the access road are a bit too close together for our preference and despite the park being so wooded, have no foliage or other visible separation between the sites. These sites all have electric hookups

• Sites 12-14 are at the top of the hill and have the easiest access to the restrooms; they also have electric hookups. In my opinion, Site 14 would be the most desirable. Given that there are only three sites here, there was a surprising number of cars driving past these sites.

• Sites 15-30 are primitive tent sites and located near Cabin#3 (a CCC cabin).

The bathrooms were clean and (don’t laugh at me), the toilets had lids! Given the current virus situation, this was a nice and welcome surprise!

There was no camp host and we only saw one ranger during our stay. There is a nice playground, but it is not located anywhere near the campground (it is located closer to two of the cabins). If you are camping with children, please note this. There are three cabins, one that was built by the CCC and a lodge which also looked to be a CCC product, although it did not appear to be open when we were there.