The best GROUP camping near
Burr Oak , IOWA

Most Recent Burr Oak Camping Reviews
Nice escape

Perfect for a quick night away from the twin cities. Several small hikes to the bluffs right from the campground loop. Solid campground all around.

Crowded, many RVs. Decent tent sites along river.

From someone who typically prefers backpacking and sleeping in remote areas, this campground facility, pretty much in the city, is okay.

The facilities are nice, bathrooms were clean. What I didn't enjoy was how close each RV site is. The sparks from our fire were making their way to our neighbors site.

The campground is situated next to the Trout Run Trail, providing quick and easy access to the 11-mile loop or in to the city center of Decorah.

Overall, decent for a city campground, but very crowded. The tent sites near the river look more spaced out.

Great hiking, no mosquitoes!

We stayed at Minneiska campground since Cedar Hills is under construction this year. It's a newer campground so the vegetation hasn't grown in fully yet - your neighbors are visible but there's good distance between sites so it wasn't a problem at all. The grounds themselves are really well-kept with nice bathroom facilities and hot showers, which was perfect for the cooler fall days. It's a busy park so you'll need to reserve early or plan on visiting during the week.

The hiking itself was awesome. We did the Dakota trail, which was a tough up and down hike with really incredible views of the fall colors. There's also a nice park/picnic area with beach access. I'm hoping to come back next summer to enjoy the swimming. All in all it was a great stay!

This was a nice campground with private sites. We were in site 70e and was very private and close the the showers. Lots of great hiking and forestville is very charming but tours were not running due to COVID. There was no AT&T cell coverage.

Great place to visit in the fall

We stayed at cart in site 4, which was the best of the 4 options. It’s at the end of a lookout trail that has amazing sunrise/sunset views. The hiking in this park is really great, with some amazing lookouts. Only downside is that the hum of I-90 can be heard at night.

Horrible Customer service

Tried to stay here. Booked a site over the phone, got a reservation but was not told a confirmation number or even what site number we would have. Had to get off the line quickly as they made it seem like they were too busy to talk to me. Called back weeks later to confirm and got a site number, but again seemed like I was unimportant. Called before the trip to verify that I could cancel due to covid travel restriction and was told it would be fine. When I canceled the next morning (as I was told I could do), the manager called me and rudely said that was not the case. Again, they always seemed to be too busy to take care of my needs as a guest. I wish that I could say I will try again, but this experience of poor customer service has made me sure that I will never be staying at this resort again.

Gorgeous park, small campground

There are about 30 electric site big enough for RVs, and about 35 non electric site. All are very nice sites with fairly level gravel pads. There are lots of trees for shade making the sites really beautiful if not spacious. We had a tight fit with our travel trailer on site 33e, but once we squeezed in it was excellent. Two bathrooms one with showers, and well kept. The best thing about this park are the wonderful hiking trails. Some are ADA accessible near the camp store, but most are a good climb with lots of ups and downs. Town of McGregor has a few cute restaurants and bars, but enjoy the park and the amazing views of the Mississippi and the Wisconsin rivers. Several big rig RVs were there, but call ahead if you’ve got a big RV to make sure you’ll fit.

There are some fantastic cycling routes near the river, with stops in all the little towns along the way. A wonderful place to spend a weekend, with apple orchards nearby.

Fantastic cart in sites

I enjoy camping away from the hub bub of the family campground and opting for the backpack or cart in sites. Luckily, Great River Bluffs has some of the nicest cart ins I have encountered.

The 5 sites are well spaced out with lots of trees, nice flat tent pads, a newer clean vault and good fresh water both within a short distance of all the sites.

The surrounding hiking trails feature incredible views of the Mississippi River valley, high upon a bluff. The sites are away from the heavy foot traffic of picnic areas and primary hiking trails, though during the day there will be a few hikers walking the trail down the middle of the cart site trail to get to a fantastic lookout site. There weren't tons of people but it might bother those that don't want to see anyone while there.

There are two vault toilets. One at the parking lot and one between camp site 3 and 4. If you want a shower, you have to drive up to the family campground which is a good half mile away.

Great hidden gem

Out in the middle of bluff country. This nice campground plays to the active bodied person well. From golf to tubing to an indoor swimming pool and restaurant. This place has a lot to offer.

Awesome campgrounds

The campground is very clean and nice.

The bathrooms and showers we pristine clean and close and easy to walk to.

The beach was great and clean.

Fishing was great.