The best GROUP camping near
Bolan , IOWA

Most Recent Bolan Camping Reviews
Lovely campground and park

Very well maintained campground in a small but lovely park. Host was very nice and there were lots of open spots on a Saturday in late September. Loved our tent site with a short walk to the lake and clean bathrooms

This was a nice campground with private sites. We were in site 70e and was very private and close the the showers. Lots of great hiking and forestville is very charming but tours were not running due to COVID. There was no AT&T cell coverage.

Awesome campsite

Camped at a backpack site and it was pretty great. 2 mile hike to the site and the site was fantastic. On the water with lots of tree coverage.

Tent sites

Great state park for a quiet weekend trip. Tons of great tent sites, but it seemed like the RV spots were pretty close together. We stayed at #142 and it was the perfect tent location. Right on the water, distanced from our site neighbors, and a sandbar nearby for some fishing. The swimming beach was gross, but the hiking trail was great for an easy walk with kids.

Labor Day weekend

This campground has a lot of mixed reviews on social media. We were a bit worried but I’m so glad we went.

The parallel parking was so much easier than we thought it would be. Not a huge fan of sharing the same outdoor space but it was manageable. It would be perfect for large family/friend gatherings as some where doing.

The campground was super clean and the bathrooms the cleanest I’ve seen at a state park.

Best Memories of My Childhood

I’m probably a little biased. My parents started coming to this park to ride horses in the 70s. We spent at least 3wks every year here when I was a kid trail riding, hiking, even tubing down the Root River (there’s no commercial tubing available and you have to get up and walk through rocky shallow spots, so it isn’t ideal for this, but tell my 10yr old self that).

I stayed here recently in the “people campground.” I hiked 12mi in one day and had a great time. The campsite itself was great—privacy and no loud neighbors. I always make sure to stay in spots without electric if possible to escape the culture and noise that accompanies RV camping. Site #4 isn’t very level, but it backs up to the river and the access trail out of the campground. Forestville never disappoints me—I even randomly ran into my own uncle while hiking!

Great get away.

Nice county park along the Cedar river. Boating and fishing was fun. Had a small swimming beach, nice bathrooms and showers dump station. Saw many people swimming off their boat/pontoons as the bottom is sandy and the current is very very slow. PS Don't try to tube down the river at the end of July-- too slow. It had a nice boat ramp with 3 docks and has nice big campsites. The only down side was the noise from the traffic going over the bridge nearby. There is also a nice walking trail a couple miles away on the river by Mitchell that we enjoyed.

Awesome quiet weekend

Clean campsites that are well maintained. There is a newer shower/bathroom house that is well maintained and stocked! Outside of this the children spent most of the weekend in the pool!

Super fun and kid friendly !!

Loved camping here, we have 4-5 times already this year! We tent camped but they’ve got lots of spaces for campers and tents as well, bathrooms are close, there is a nice lake near with play equipment located at the lake and at the campground, the campground has old bikes for the kids to use, everyone there is so nice! We love it

Small quiet campground

This is a very small campground. The sites are not very private. Have some nice hiking trails and a small lake a short walk from the campground. We were in spot 15 and there was no shade in the morning to early afternoon. There was little to no cell phone coverage for AT&T