Agency, IOWA
Most Recent Agency Camping Reviews
Good stopover while traveling

Great staff and RV park amenities. Camped for two nights and it was quiet.

Spacious sites, beautiful lake!

The campground itself is very nice. There is a lot of space between campsites, which is awesome!  Our site had a great view of the lake, as well.   The campgrounds are a drive away from the beach and most boat ramps.  The lake was great for kayaking, but the visit to Whitebreast beach knocked the campground scored down, as I typically look for the overall experience and not just sites/facilities in my rating.  Whitebreast beach had sand at the top, leading me to believe it would be a typical sandy beach-not at all!  As you made your way further down and into the water, there was muddy, wet clay and the beach floor was slimy and muddy. I even saw a young boy lose his shoes in the wet clay! I would return to the campground and kayak the lake, but I wouldn't recommend the beach!  I'm fairly certain my grandson and I both ended up with some kind of bug bites after being there-we're both still itching!!  Yuck! There is another beach at Lake Red Rock and perhaps it is nicer/cleaner, but I would stay away from Whitebreast if you don't like your feet sliming in clay and mud!

Ranger Review: Sun Sleeves from Eclipse at Walking Stick Adventure Farm

Campground Review

This place has a lot to offer. It’s great for solo and couples looking for some relaxation, and families looking for a fun excursion. The area of land you have with this booking is so impressive, and very private. I was able to have a fantastic time. I arrived and was welcomed by a lovely couple eager to show me around and how their tipi set up worked. You could sleep 4 to 6 people inside no problem. I loved the outhouse. I know that’s weird to say, but it was clean, and had this really cool hot water shower set up with some sinks and a curtain. I dunno– I just loved the feeling of showering comfortably, but still being outside and having running water on demand. This place’s intention is to have all the camping necessities on site, so all you have to do is show up with a sleeping bag and not much else, focus on your vacation, and take advantage of the amenities. I definitely felt like it was“easy” to have a good time here. There is potable water and an electric hook up. There was also a few storage bins loaded with pots and pans, dishware, and everything else you could need to make a really nice meal over a campfire or with your stove. There was also a BBQ loaded with charcoal and roasting sticks for hotdogs and marshmallows over the fire pit. Loads of wood for you to use as well. A big sell for me was how there were a few different boats to take out on the lake they have. I kayaked, and there were 2 of those to go along with a row boat and a canoe. There are life jackets provided. You can feed the fish in there, or use the lures and rods provided to catch-and-release the underwater critters. At night, enjoy the light show of fireflies and stoke the fire inside your tipi or out by the waterfront, and think/talk about when you’ll come back for your next visit.

Product Review

As part of the Dyrt Ranger program I am given camping gear to test from time to time, and today I was reviewing the Sun Sleeves from Eclipse Sun Products

Great product! I immediately ordered a second pair in a different color. There are just so many times when you want to protect yourself from the sun but don’t want to apply sunscreen or wear clothing that makes you hot. These are UPF 50+ sleeves that allow you to cover your hands and arms while leaving your fingers free, and the material is very lightweight and breathable. A lot of people kept asking me“aren’t you hot?” but I was comfy even with temps in the 90s.

I’ve used these for the last three weeks on the golf course, on my bike, while boating, playing disc golf, walking my dog, for softball games, and really just about every activity when the sun is out– including beer festival drinking! The second pair I bought just lives in my car now, because it’s easily the best solve for road trips when the sun comes out during your travels. No more greasy sunscreened steering wheels!

They are super easy to put on, come in different sizes and colors, and are machine washable. The material is very thin and flexible, so when you roll the hand covers out of the way, it doesn’t create this elastic pressure point. Super happy with these sleeves and really excited to be supporting a local company from Boulder, CO.

Nice and well maintained

Very nice park and not to near a train. Very modern facilities that were clean.

Very nice

Very nice. Clean rest rooms and coin op showers. There were a lot of ticks, but the camp was quiet. I saw many people fishing.

Awesome family fun

The park is clean and family friendly. The beach is a great addition for some family fun.

It's fine

Like most Iowa state parks, no sewer or water hook ups at site. Not super level. Near red rock, but cannot see the lake from the campground, cannot access the bike trail directly from campground. Wooded area, no trails or anything special in the park. Showers flooded the bathroom and had to push the button every 30 seconds to keep the water going.

Around this area there are many Marion county campgrounds that have better sites and amenities.

The water to the rv smells so bad it makes me gag.

Bring plenty of bottled water for consumption.  The water has an awful smell.

Beautiful lake/Nice Campground

Nice campground with some newer facilities, well kept up and clean.  There are 2 parts to the campground, both nice and fairly full-but not completely on the weekend we stayed. Sites were fairly level and all pretty close to the showers/restrooms, and well spaced out between sites.   There were several hiking trails-maps seemed to not quite fit the trails and lake to some degree.  Several ponds have been added to the lake and along the hiking trails that aren't on the map that could assist in knowing where you're at along the trails.  Trails were signed fairly well but still seemed somewhat off from the maps both online and on site.

Not your typical RV site

Honey Creek resort run by the state of Iowa (not to be confused with Honey Creek State Park nearby) is not your typical camping spot. There is a resort hotel with an indoor waterpark, cabins for rent, and an RV Park. The hotel and the RV park are right on the lake. Rathbun is maybe the nicest lake in Iowa (I would say Okoboji, however that has become an overcrowded mess).

The RV sites: There are not many of them, 20 I think. But they are all paved, level, full hook ups, spacious, with a view of the lake. I don't even think we exchanged harsh words setting up it was so easy. ;)  There are even a couple sites on the side that have equipment for fall hunters. Trees around the RV area, but not in. Fire ring and picnic table. The boat ramp is at one end of the RV area, so people may drive through with boats. Playground a short walk away on a path, but not right in the RV area.

Indoor waterpark: Probably geared to the 4-10 crowd. Only one bigger slide, lazy river, hot tub, pool with some balance platforms and a rope and a basketball hoop. Then a small kiddie pool with a pirate ship structure with some small slides and some fountains. Not a ton to do, however when we were there it rained for an entire day so that was very handy. Snackbar that serves booze.

Lake: one of the biggest in the state, not too busy as it is 2 hours from Des Moines so not a lot of day traffic (unlike Saylorville and Red Rock). Boat rentals available.

Resort hotel: I haven't been in the guest rooms. There is a lobby, restaurant/bar. I have not eaten at the restaurant. There is a little shop with necessities and firewood. There is a nature program where you can check out backpacks for kids to explore nature. Grounds are nice and lush, paths for walking and biking. There's a golf course.

Nice well kept campground

Quite roomy on river the town by it is a craftsman village with quilting woodwork old inns painters there is a railroad car they made into a rental the camp ground has 30 and 50 amp elect there is no water or sewer on you’re site but water is available in camp .

Great place to camp, kayak, fish, and hike!

Spacious campground with clean facilities.  Some campsites are close to the lake.  Several hiking paths-Lakeshore Trail goes around the whole lake, so be sure to reserve 2-3 hours to conquer this path-more if you like to take in the scenery.  Quite a bit of wildlife seen during kayaking and hiking-muskrat, beaver, swans, geese could be found on the water. Also seen: deer, bald eagles, frogs, toads, turtles.  There were many that enjoyed fishing on the lake, as well. We spent our time hiking and kayaking, but fishing seemed pretty good for those partaking. Also has a nice beach!

Small, family campground with lots of shade and small pond!

Quiet park with lots of shade trees. 5 minutes from everything!

Camping in town

This camp ground is smack dab in the middle of town. But once you're inside the campground surrounded by others it's hard to tell. You do hear quite a bit of traffic but depending on where your site is, you may not see it. I was disappointed when after years and years we were told we can no longer have a tent on your site with your camper. We would have to have our family members camp in a different part of the park.

Amazing lake

I absolutely loved this state park. There is so many options for fishing and camping. They even have cabin rentals for the more glamping lifestyle. They do book up quick in advance, but there is usually walk up spots available the week of too. Definitely reccomend.

Great view

Fills up fast on rv side but great views. 1st come 1 serve. Lots of sites on the water and plenty of tent sites. Decent fishing, lots of bluegill and some crappie.

Horse park

Good place to camp. Year round access. Close to Pella and Knoxville

Decent

Good place close to Pella and Knoxville. Some sites on Red Rock. Little pricey for not having full hookups. Overall good place.

Great place

Good sights, great horse trails, awesome camping

Very nice campground

Very nice campground with lake to fish and boat on. Has beach access also.

Nice location

nice Campground in the middle of town, close to stores and has nice walking trails. Has a pond to fish as well and across the street from the city park!

Where's the lake? Over the highway and through the woods

Unfortunately there's no lake view, but there's full hookups and a good mix of tent and RV sites. Be careful of low lying trees for taller campers.

Island View - H19

Campground was very clean and staff was helpful and polite. A lot of spots have a nice view of the water. It tends to be very busy. My stay was a week past labor day and still over half full. Restrooms / showers were clean, nothing fancy. Did some fishing while there and caught enough crappie for a nice dinner with some left over for breakfast the next morning.

Island View - H19

Will come back

Lots of shade, quiet.

Great place

Nice, quiet and affordable. Saw lots of deer and rabbits right outside our door. Shower rooms are very nice.

Nice hikes

We went in the chillier months so the park definitely was not at its most scenic as it probably usually is. The hikes throughout the woods were quite nice and eventually loop around at least the one we were on did). They have a ginormous and steep boat landing with a large parking lot. The water looked pretty nice, although is was quite low at the time. The best part about the trip was the eagles. We must have been there at just the right time, because lined all through the trees along the lakes edge were eagles upon eagles. I'd say we saw about 70 bald eagles perched in the tress. It was really a beautiful sight. Aside from the park, it's pretty close to pella, which is a nice historic Dutch town. Good food and bars there to check out! Would visit again, but when it's warmer!

very nice

it has full hookups, tent site swim beach, fishing, canoes,and f, playgrounds also cabins a stone lodge for family get togethers some sites just have electric and water on site and there are some full hookups also a shower house and modern restrooms, fire wood for sale We go at least 3 times a year . So nice and quiet the lake is clean they also have a dump station

excellent area

lots to explore in the park. excellent hiking trails. great area to explore around the park as well.

great camp

close to the river with lots of fun history and shops to keep you busy.