Salem , INDIANA

Most Recent Salem Camping Reviews
Nice campground for a bike ride.

We have stayed at this park several times.  The camp sites are mostly spaced out for room, but some can get very wet and flooded during a nice rain.  The paved bike trail in the park starts near the campground, and connects with a bike trail along the Wabash River that goes into nearby Bluffton, and is an easy ride.  The bison enclosure is always fun to check out, and the last time we stayed I actually walked to the top of the restored fire tower to take in the view.  We have never used the lake, but plan on taking some kayaks out at some point.

THIS IS VERY PEACEFUL AND SECLUDED AREA BEAUTIFUL WEATHER, KID FRIENDLY

THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO JUST GET AWAY FROM EVERYTHING AND RELAX.  IT IS BEAUTIFUL TERRAIN TO RIDE ATV'S, HORSES, YOU CAN HIKE, FLY KITES, BRING THE KIDS POWER WHEELS OR BIKES YOU CAN EXPLORE THE CREEK OR JUST SIT IN THE SHADE OR NEXT TO THE FIRE AND TAKE IT ALL IN. ITS STILL ONLY 10-15 MINS FROM TOWN IF YOU FORGOT SOME SUPPLIES.

Off Season and No Water

We love camping in the off season but with that comes closures. Some sections of the campgrounds might not be open, no camp hosts and limited bathrooms and showers houses. This is to be expected, but when I called the morning of our trip to make sure potable water was available and I was told yes it was only to drive 2 hours and realized they were wrong. No water 🙁. This would not have been a peas we have dry camped before but all the bathrooms were closed as well.

After called the park ranger he did let us get some water at the maintenance building so we were at least able to finish the weekend. Lesson learned always pull with at least some water.

Now back to the campground itself was nice and clean. Site are a little close together. The biggest down side is you are there to enjoy the lake but the lake had algae warnings everywhere not to go near the water.

They do have a dog park, pool and splash pad when in season and a marina. Also they have WiFi and good cell coverage.

A nice park. Electric only.

It’s a nice park for kids. Has a nice swimming pool. Easy trails. Nice playground. $5 firewood bundles. Mostly a weekender park. It is right next to a small craft airfield do it can get noisy at times and there is little wind protection.

Weekend getaway

We have camped here a few times. Nice little weekend getaway, not sure we would choose for long lengths of time.

“Beach” and swimming area with water inflatables, and area to fish if you enjoy fishing. Several activities for kids. Campground is well kept and managed for the most part.

Seems better later in the season--Memorial Day to Independence Day lots of noise & trash.

Water available here and there throughout campground, but turned off across fron site 12 and at the boat ramp. Not sure if dumping is currently allowed. Bring your own toilet paper and firewood. There is a private driveway about 1 mile east on 224 that sells wood for $3.00 an armload. 1 mile hiking loop at the end of the primitive sites. No swimming allowed on the reservoir, but plenty of space to launch your boat or kayak. No camp host. Sites affordable, and most will accommodate a 20 foot RV, with several large enough for the largest class A. Watch out for poison ivy, oak and sumac in wooded areas. Lots of playground equipment and paved areas for bikes. 3 garbage dumpsters along campground drive.

Horse Campground - Great

I came here and stayed in my tent (family had their horse trailer with camper) for a night during the chilly nights of October. I wish all campsites were like these - very, very spread out!

Totally makes sense given that you have large horse trailers/campers and also horses at each site, but even then, they were very spread out and had lots of great space to actually enjoy nature.

In terms of trails, there was a starting access point at the horse campground for horseback riding trails that also led to the horse barn, but if you are wanting to hike, you have to drive, unfortunately. Another flaw is that the bathrooms in the horse campground aren't modern and they're pit toilets. Even with the cooler weather, they still wreaked and were not pleasant to use.

Very Nice Campground

Very nice and clean Campground. The lot we stayed in was a good size and was right on the spring. The staff was very friendly and helpful!

Great State Park

Great little State Park. Nice clean camp sites. Plenty of trails to hike and a nice little lake to enjoy. Will definitely come back here

Great Campground

With this being my first time camping, I don’t have much to compare it to, but I really enjoyed my stay! I had spot 66 (non-electric standard) and I just had my tent and my car and I would definitely pick that spot again! It was absolutely stunning over looking the water with the trees turning colors. I went the first weekend in October so they had a lot of families there because they had all sorts of Halloween activities going on, so it wasn’t very quiet, but I still enjoyed myself. Got in on a Thursday and it was decently quiet that day. They have some play areas for kids, a few hiking trails and a wetlands, but most people were fishing and kayaking. There is a store, but I didn’t go in. Tons of spots to camp, from very secluded to right in the middle of the action. Very family friendly place. I think some small rules were broken here and there by some of the families, but it was just little things, so no harm no foul. Overall a great campground!