The best BOAT IN camping near
Menominee , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Menominee Camping Reviews
Great relaxing weekend

Yellowstone Lake is great for hiking and fishing. They even have a swimming area. But a must is the small ice cream shop that has even lunch menu. The wife and I just loved the small town that was a drive away as well

Fun place to go

We have only been to this campground one time because we wanted to try something new. We had a lot of fun there playing in the water on the beach however my son who was five at the time got a really bad bacterial rash from the water. Other than that we had a really good time and the campground was very clean and everyone was really nice. We were definitely go back but not to swim in the water LOL

Beautiful and popular

Over 5,000 acres, featuring two lakes and some truly beautiful trails. It’s best to get reservations early. Twin Valley campground is split into upper and lower. Lower being better for larger RVs while upper has more shaded, cozier sites better for smaller rigs and tents. Cox Hollow campground is more open and may have some pull through spaces. Nearby are the kitschy House on the Rock and Frank Lloyd Wright’s famed Taliesin home and studio. Recommend the Jumping Jupiter General store outside the park for all your camping needs.

Relaxing and quiet with river/bridge views

We paid 15$ online to reserve a spot for the night but I’m not sure if a different part of the park was free or not as advertised here. But it was very quiet and our spot (55) was right on the river and a bit tucked in the woods which was great and had an amazing view of the bridge. It had a fire pit but is rustic so no bathrooms near by. We were the only ones on that side of the campground (full map online) which was very peaceful. Be careful of spots 56,57,58 because they can flood. Overall good stay for us!

Amazing

Loved this place! So many trails , 3 nice camp areas, clean bathrooms, dog friendly, and beautiful views . I went mid week while it was freezing ,so not to many ppl , but Friday night rolled around and it sure did fill up fast . I will definitely go back in the summer for kayaking .

Fun weekend getaway

I came here at the beginning of October for 2 nights tent camping, site 20, with some friends. Our fire pits grill grate was mostly smashed and didn't hold a skillet while other sites had nice grates on a swivel. Plenty of space apart from other sites and fun, hilly hiking trails nearby. The lake is beautiful and we fished a bit from the dock, didn't catch anything. Nice views of the leaves changing. Very limited cell service which was welcomed. Bathrooms were kinda rough and the showers were on a different side of the park.

We reserved our campsite online and paid for a parking sticker at the park office but since no one was there we left the money in the pay box with our receipt. Same with firewood.

Great weekend to start Fall Camping

We enjoyed our weekend at Thomson Causeway with our popup.  We stayed at site 41.  Although I would have liked the pad to be a little longer, it was still a nice site.  Not a lot of privacy, but being right on the water was great.  Definitely need bugspray, but my boys LOVED catching frogs along the rocks.  Bathrooms are a short walk from this site and were clean.  Water pump was also a short walk.  We enjoyed bike riding around the campsite.  There is a longer bike path that will take you to Clinton.  We bought firewood right outside the park for $3 a pallet.  We will definitely add Thomson to our list to return for our next trip.  I made note that I would love to reserve site 60 or 69… great views of the Mississippi… I assume these are the most sought after sites.

Many different areas in one location

This campground in is a WI State Park.  The campground is up a hill with a trail to walk to the lake.  We were here in September 2020 and COVID cancelled programs, but still lots  to do for 4 days.  Some sites are all the same. They vary in size and how level they are.  Not all site are electric and that contributes to the price variance. There is also a change in price depending on WI residency.   This is one of our favorite parks - plenty of trails, beach, lake, fishing spots and a dam.  We brought our bikes, but did not ride because of slopes of roads.  If you mountain bike you will love this park.

Two lakes, two campgrounds and some nice walk-in sites!

I stayed at this campground when I was a kid and only recently revisited it. The state park has two very large lakes with nice pan fishing and modest but well-groomed (daily?) swimming beaches. The lakes are a definite drive from the campgrounds, however, which makes it hard for "the kids" to simply amble down for a swim. This is important, in Sept. 2020 (COVID-19 times) 1/3 of the parking lot was closed off. Not sure why, but I speculate this is to regulate the number of beach dwellers and swimmers. Regardless, it's a very large and lovely park. Here's my review of the campsites.

I am a car camper with no interest in (E) electric sites, so I did not pay attention nor note good ones. I prefer the silence and relative darkness that non-E sites provide.

Campsite - Cox Hollow

45/47 would be a nice couple of sites for a family/friends (wouldn't want this if you only needed one of them!)

The sites on the "inside" of the loop are rather close to one another.

21 has a nice view of the lake, and you can walk back to the fence to look over the bluff 24 is quite private and very large 26, 27 and 29 are all large, near the bluff

34 is interesting, it's divided into three "terraces" Kind of fun, like a campsite divided into rooms

44 right next to the water, BIG site, right near the bathroom and playground. This would be great if you have kids.

The second campground is Twin Valley - though it is NO WHERE NEAR the Twin Valley lake. Lots of driving to get to the lake from here.

221 is large with nice surrounding trees

285 is really big

This campground has walk in sites - these are sites with car parking on the road and you have to walk a minute or two to get to the site. Downside? Carrying all your gear and firewood. Upside? You can genuinely pretend that you've got the place to yourself, can't see a tent or an RV from any of these sites.

262 is 40 steps in, right on the edge of the valley with it's own personal bluff.

263 is a longer walk of 75 steps, a little less shaded than others, but PRIVATE

264 is about 45 steps off the parking lot, right against the bluff edge.

269 is 50 steps in, but it's just off the path, not as nice as others

270 is a long 120 steps walking past 269, this is the site for you if you're looking for seclusion

271 is 110 steps in, flat, really secluded

Beautiful campground

Stayed here 4th of July weekend. It was hot, humid and crazy busy. Portable water at dump station was not working. Had a sign that office had water hose for filling the trailer. Good hiking, really nice lake but it was just to busy to use.